SV needs advice..

Hello.

I have been SV since Cata and previously BM. This is the first X-pac I have had serious issues adapting to the changes. Previously it took one to two weeks to get in the groove and maximize my dps.

What I'm looking for is a workaround to not talent "focusing shot". It feels alien to stay rooted for the duration of cast. I need to a solid rotation
    without that talent (and powershot for that matter).

Thanks folks, going to the Weakaura hunter sticky now.

Just go LW + GT/Barrage then. LW is currently the best ST talent with FS for aoe.

Just play what you want.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Just go LW + GT/Barrage then. LW is currently the best ST talent with FS for aoe.

Just play what you want.
    Play what you like, unless you happen to be in a raiding guild, in which case, LW only makes sense for ST with 4p. Using Barrage with LW is so inefficient and clumsy, Focusing Shot will grow on you in no time. SV with FS has a great flow to it and is just a pleasure to play. You're hardly 'rooted'. Bear in mind that you do not cast FS as often as you cast cobras - as such, it's really not a hindrance to stop every now and then, and easy to weave in on any fight in HM or BRF.

Quote Originally Posted by mag07 View Post
    Play what you like, unless you happen to be in a raiding guild, in which case, LW only makes sense for ST with 4p. Using Barrage with LW is so inefficient and clumsy, Focusing Shot will grow on you in no time. SV with FS has a great flow to it and is just a pleasure to play. You're hardly 'rooted'. Bear in mind that you do not cast FS as often as you cast cobras - as such, it's really not a hindrance to stop every now and then, and easy to weave in on any fight in HM or BRF.
    I totally agree, but he wanted a work-around and he got it. LW is just fine if you're in a somewhat casual guild though, even without the 4p (not sure why this matters), and for +2 targets.

Deleted
    Is the Lone Wolf still worth it's choice after 6.1?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gABBY View Post
    Is the Lone Wolf still worth it's choice after 6.1?
    On singletarget yes, but not when there is multiple targets.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1TGhost View Post
    Hello.

I have been SV since Cata and previously BM. This is the first X-pac I have had serious issues adapting to the changes. Previously it took one to two weeks to get in the groove and maximize my dps.

What I'm looking for is a workaround to not talent "focusing shot". It feels alien to stay rooted for the duration of cast. I need to a solid rotation
    without that talent (and powershot for that matter).

Thanks folks, going to the Weakaura hunter sticky now.
    You chose a pretty awful time to switch OUT of BM. BM is currently the top hunter spec after the 6.1 changes, there is no reason for you to not just play BM if it's your favorite spec. The only reason hunters play SV or MM post 6.1 is because they don't enjoy BM or can't get the hang of it (aside from some limited situations for Mythic progression where MM can pull ahead for burst).

If you don't want to limit your movement, you can play BM Adaption and it's optimal for both single target and AoE over all of the other specs/talent choices and you have zero movement restrictions. If you want to play lonewolf SV it's only top tier viable in single target and only if you have 4pc T17 and even then it can't put out the same numbers in single target that BM can.

There are a few fights in current content where SV can pull ahead of BM in AoE situations where the adds are very spread out and stay up for a while but in order for it to pull ahead Focusing Shot is required and the adds need to be spread out of Beast Cleave range.
    Last edited by Ultratron; 2015-03-14 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultratron View Post
    You chose a pretty awful time to switch OUT of BM. BM is currently the top hunter spec after the 6.1 changes, there is no reason for you to not just play BM if it's your favorite spec. The only reason hunters play SV or MM post 6.1 is because they don't enjoy BM or can't get the hang of it (aside from some limited situations for Mythic progression where MM can pull ahead for burst).

If you don't want to limit your movement, you can play BM Adaption and it's optimal for both single target and AoE over all of the other specs/talent choices and you have zero movement restrictions. If you want to play lonewolf SV it's only top tier viable in single target and only if you have 4pc T17 and even then it can't put out the same numbers in single target that BM can.

There are a few fights in current content where SV can pull ahead of BM in AoE situations where the adds are very spread out and stay up for a while but in order for it to pull ahead Focusing Shot is required and the adds need to be spread out of Beast Cleave range.
    Isn't the general gist of things is BM doesn't pull ahead until 4P bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by NoClueWhatToDo View Post
    Isn't the general gist of things is BM doesn't pull ahead until 4P bonus?
    Not really, people just suggested waiting to make the BM switch until that point because everyone was geared full mulstristrike for SV.

Typically BM/SV/MM all sim equal with no tier bonus and once you get t4 bonus BM pulls way ahead. The only exception to that is if a hunter has no tier bonus AND stacked Crit(for MM) or Mult(for SV).

A majority of the time BM sims higher for most people even pre-4pc because with balanced stats BM is better and at this point, if hunters don't have 4pc T17 they usually have a gear set that is thrown together on the fly and usually equates to balanced stats. It takes quite a bit of specific stat stacking for MM or SV to pull ahead of BM pre-4pc.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I would say in casual guilds minor personal dps improvements matter way more then in slightly hardcore ones where everyone is trying to maximize But yeah, you can afford to slack a bit if you're not trying to push progress before you outgear it a bit.

As for tier bonuses and LW on single target fights - with tier bonuses you spend way less time dumping focus with arcanes, and more focusing on keeping BA uptime at max then firing those Explosives before next proc catches you by surprise As such, you simply don't have the need for the big focus pool FS gives you. It's only handy when you need to weave in Barrage/Multis for cleave/aoe fights. Least I personally get better results with swapping talents between the fights.

But then, I tend to do my own math and try things to fit my own play-style and skill set rather then blindly follow what someone else stated to be the flavour of the month. Just find it more enjoyable that way. I'm also a big advocate of ' it's a game, play to enjoy' as long as it doesn't negatively affect others around me - compromises are sometimes required so no one needs to pick up my slack.

Testing certain combos and finding out for yourself what works or doesn't, often works better then reading guides or listening to anyone's suggestions.