Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do we have a clue why we get 2 Soul Shard Nightfall Procs?

Has any progress in deciphering this shit been made yet? I'm still clueless and I don't know if it's benefitting from crits or MS or what but something is making it trigger.

It's from corruption multistrikes. If Nightfall procs on a tick that also multistrikes you get 2 shards. No mystery. Has been this way since beta.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    It's from corruption multistrikes. If Nightfall procs on a tick that also multistrikes you get 2 shards. No mystery. Has been this way since beta.
    Nope, you still get 2 shards sometimes even with 0% multistrike chance, so multistrike has nothing to do with it. Some think it's because of Empowered Corruption, this could be easily tested with warlock that hasn't gotten Empowered Corruption Perk yet.

The odds of 5% and a 2.5% proc happening at the same time is just absurd. It happens way to frequently, even if Empowered corruption is causing it I don't think its related to them proccing twice. Not to mention that it only shows up once in logs. Even if it's just a 2.5 chance for 2 shards it happens far top often.

Quote Originally Posted by esatikkane View Post
    Nope, you still get 2 shards sometimes even with 0% multistrike chance, so multistrike has nothing to do with it. Some think it's because of Empowered Corruption, this could be easily tested with warlock that hasn't gotten Empowered Corruption Perk yet.
    you cant have 0% multistike chance. there are buffs.. like dark intent, for example..
    BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Demonidze View Post
    you cant have 0% multistike chance. there are buffs.. like dark intent, for example..
    So don't buff it? :P

Deleted
    Mutistrike is not supposed to trigger anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonidze View Post

Thanks for the laugh.

Btw, it is Empowered Corruption. Give me a log where its happened to you and I'll show you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulto View Post
    Mutistrike is not supposed to trigger anything.

Incorrect. As an example, Raging Blow Multistrikes that Crit can proc their 2 set bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    Thanks for the laugh.

Btw, it is Empowered Corruption. Give me a log where its happened to you and I'll show you.

Incorrect. As an example, Raging Blow Multistrikes that Crit can proc their 2 set bonus.
    They don't proc anything unless explicitly stated that they do. Either way its been tested and checked in logs since Beta, you can see in logs when there's a resource gain and you can see when there's a multi strike, it would not be hard to spot a correlation, but none were ever found.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    They don't proc anything unless explicitly stated that they do. Either way its been tested and checked in logs since Beta, you can see in logs when there's a resource gain and you can see when there's a multi strike, it would not be hard to spot a correlation, but none were ever found.

Re-read the posts. I never stated that Multistrikes proc Nightfall. I know they don't. I was correcting the over simplified statement that "Multistrike is not supposed to trigger anything."

Also, "unless explicitly stated" is false as well. There are several instances of abilities proccing from Multistrike without any support from a tooltip indicating that its intended. Devastate can Multistrike and cause a proc of Sword and Board for Gladiator and Protection, as another example.
    Last edited by Teye; 2015-03-15 at 07:46 PM.

Deleted
    When you get nightfall proc you get 1,25 shards instead of 1, so every 4 nightfall procs you get 5 shards.

From what I have heard so far from other warlocks it is actually the Nightfall buff that can also multistrike not the corr ticks, so whenever you have a Nightfall proc it can " multistrike " generating 2 shards.

It ALWAYS occurs at the same timestamp as a multistrike on corruption.
    Combat logs bug when it happens and only show 1 soul shard gained, despite clearly being 2 in-game.
    It happens far too infrequently to actually be proccing from all multistrikes.

My best guess is that there's a glitch somewhere in the MS/nightfall code the occasionally leads to 2 being generated on multistrikes. There's not really any feasible method to prove/disprove anything about the bug, we can only observe correlations.
    Pleb warlock from Awakening - Mug'thol, maintains simulationcraft for warlocks.
    Email: tjc12821@gmail.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/gahddo
    Feel free to ask for advice.

Not sure why everyone feels this is such a mystery.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=157078/...red-corruption

Edit:

Something to consider is the Corruption ticks from Drain Soul. Can they proc Nightfall?

Not sure why everyone feels this is such a mystery.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=157078/...red-corruption

Edit:

Something to consider is the Corruption ticks from Drain Soul. Can they proc Nightfall?
    Increasing the proc chance of something shouldn't give you 2 of the procs, dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gahddo View Post
    It ALWAYS occurs at the same timestamp as a multistrike on corruption.
    Combat logs bug when it happens and only show 1 soul shard gained, despite clearly being 2 in-game.
    It happens far too infrequently to actually be proccing from all multistrikes.

My best guess is that there's a glitch somewhere in the MS/nightfall code the occasionally leads to 2 being generated on multistrikes. There's not really any feasible method to prove/disprove anything about the bug, we can only observe correlations.
    If it were tied to multistrikes (even if its Nightfall multistriking rather than directly from Corruption ticks), which can occur twice per damage incident; then we could expect to see triple as well as double procs. That isn't happening, so surely it must be something else.

But if it is tied to multistrikes, than that needs to be made clear because that has a huge impact on stat values.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    Increasing the proc chance of something shouldn't give you 2 of the procs, dude.
    I think the words "increased chance" are important here, it should simply buff the normal proc chance; I doubt it functions as a separate spell.

Okay, so if its not the perk, is it Drain Soul?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so if its not the perk, is it Drain Soul?
    That's the logical explanation. Whatever it is, the extra Shards are happening for a reason, and probably not always manifesting as a double proc. It's pretty safe to assume then given we don't know where they're coming from that simcraft isn't replicating their generation and causing what to me, is a self evident underperformance in sims relative to what I'm seeing in game.

This is going to turn into one of those mysteries like why we randomly got 2 Embers back from Soulburns and Blizzard will be too lazy to fix it and make it an official change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    This is going to turn into one of those mysteries like why we randomly got 2 Embers back from Soulburns and Blizzard will be too lazy to fix it and make it an official change.
    They actually did fix it on a PTR, then decided to not set the fix live

Similarly though, it's not causing the spec to over-perform. It's possible that they don't even know whats causing it, but either way their internal testing would replicate it since its done on bots, in the actual game code and the spec would be balanced around its occurence accordingly.