Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    But there are Dollar costs. And energy can be related to dollars and vice versa.
    Energy can be related to dollars, but is not equivalent to it. Most of the dollar cost of making synfuel from coal is not energy related.

The fraction of GDP spent on energy in the US in 2010 was just 8.3%. http://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/...df/sec1_13.pdf
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Energy can be related to dollars, but is not equivalent to it. Most of the dollar cost of making synfuel from coal is not energy related.

The fraction of GDP spent on energy in the US in 2010 was just 8.3%. http://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/...df/sec1_13.pdf
    I get that. I said as much a few pages back. The economic costs come from the huge volumes of coal that would be needed, the huge volumes of water that would be needed, the huge volumes of waste material that would be generated, etc.

Thanks for the dialogue on this topic. I am sorry called you clueless at one point - I try to avoid insulting folks.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    I get that. I said as much a few pages back. The economic costs come from the huge volumes of coal that would be needed, the huge volumes of water that would be needed, the huge volumes of waste material that would be generated, etc.
    And the capital cost of the equipment needed to do these things.

Even with all that, FT liquids from coal would have been quite profitable at $100+/bbl oil. That such plants were not built should have been a tip-off that oil prices were not going to stay that high.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"