Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

French Cartoonist Zeon Arrested for Anti-Zionist Art

In ostensibly free European countries, you can get in a lot of trouble for the wrong kind of humor – not just (deadly) trouble from jihadists “avenging” their prophet, but trouble meted out by government agencies and police officers.
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...i-zionist-art/
    http://nonalignedmedia.com/2015/03/f...-zionist-work/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comment...r_antizionist/

So what do you think?

In my opinion, you can´t defend one and condemn the other just because the target is a different one. If you allow anti-islam comics and what not you sure as hell should allow anti-christian, anti-budhist, anti-hindi, anti-jewish, in general anti-everything comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

yeah, this isn't right. you have the freedom to mock anything you want in western countries.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    yeah, this isn't right. you have the freedom to mock anything you want in western countries.
    "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

*INFRACTED- antisemitism isn't allowed here at MMO-C

Deleted
    #illuminati #zionism #NWO #6million

*INFRACTED- antisemitism isn't allowed here at MMO-C

Well, at least the people who believe this sort of thing can say that Jews actually exist...unlike the whackjobs who believe that Reptilians secretly rule the world.

It's not an excuse, and it certain doesn't make it right in this case, but: this might have a little to do with overcompensating for the Holocaust. Seems more than a few European countries are less tolerant of blatant antisemitism than we might be in America, since it didn't happen so close to home for us.

Deleted
    JE SUIS CHAR... hold on what? Not for this guy? But, freedom of speech and all? No? Ok sir. Yes sir.

*silence*

The complaint seems to refer to the drawing – for which Zeon had yet been released last year by the 17th chamber – representing a balance and unbalanced weight of several historical crimes, but also for another drawing, which was not retained by the prosecutor at the trial, representing a Palestinian child stabbed by a Israel-shaped knife.
    Saw the cartoons. One has political backing and it's clearly satire. The other might incite to hate (it still has a political background), similarly to Mohamed saying "quran is shite, it won't stop bullets" by hebdo whose offices weren't raided.

can't wait to hear the comments of some people in here.
    ah but who am I fooling. This thread will most likely be ignored, like this story.

Thought this had something to do with the Principality of Zeon for a second

Deleted
    I find this bullshit, I don't see why a comedian or cartoonist is allowed say anything they want. I have to keep my mouth shut out of respect of others, and so should they when they cross a line.

Freedom of speech my ass, that is just pure racism and propaganda.

Discrimination at its finest.

Well at least none got gunned down for those.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not surprising, Jews have a lot of political power, especially when they can accuse someone of antisemitism. A lot of European nations have laws limiting freedom of speech when it comes to Jews, intended to prevent antisemitism - these laws don't exist for any other group, and directly contradict the values they claim to stand for regarding freedom of speech. There's also very selective enforcement of other limitations to the freedom of speech.

In addition to the law, they have groups that rank people by antisemitism (politicians, writers, any public figures), and they have several times directly pressured countries or organizations into ostracizing people due to their "antisemitism", with very little basis for their claim. Several times they've cited regular criticism of a Jew/Jews as antisemitism and ruined lives for it.

The organized Jewish community in Europe is completely untouchable, to any meaningful degree. Hope this arrest gets some attention, but I doubt a lot of media outlets would run it.

The National Bureau of Vigilance against Racism and Anti-Semitism was founded by the Commissioner of Police Sammy Ghozlan in March 2002 with Union support Jewish bosses of France and the Word and Light Association (offshoot of the Simon Center Wiesenthal).

According BNVCA site itself, this organization has a unique community privilege to make complaints of “anti-Semitic aggression.”

I just barfed. This must be the dirtiest form of hypocrisy I've seen in a very long time. As long as it's anti-muslim, comics are okay. But oh woe is me if it's anti-jewish. Jews have a lot of political power in France as it seems. How ugly of them to abuse this power, especially in times like these and in this country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I just barfed. This must be the dirtiest form of hypocrisy I've seen in a very long time. As long as it's anti-muslim, comics are okay. But oh woe is me if it's anti-jewish. Jews have a lot of political power in France as it seems. How ugly of them to abuse this power, especially in times like these and in this country.
    How is it hypocrisy?

One is satire intended to rustle the jimmies of a group of people (Muslims)...
    The other is literal racism (antisemitism) intended to incite hatred of a group of people (Jews)...

Ideologically speaking, I'm all for shaming and ridiculing and mocking people for whom "zionism" is a word that even enters their geopolitical parlance and therefore, in theory, would be the target audience to clap and cheer arrests for "anti-zionist art".

But free speech. Pretty sure the French still haven't quite remembered what it is or how it works, false pieties of "Je suis Charlie" or non. Let idiots publish their screeds; defeat them with speech of your own. The solution to any "problem" caused by free speech is more speech, not less.

Some of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I find this bullshit, I don't see why a comedian or cartoonist is allowed say anything they want. I have to keep my mouth shut out of respect of others, and so should they when they cross a line.

Freedom of speech my ass, that is just pure racism and propaganda.
    You don't have to. You choose to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    This is why the only correct way is to offend everyone equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    In my opinion satire on any race or religion should all be prohibited.
    The reaction to speech you don't like shouldn't be suppression of speech rights, it's more speech and education and promotion of tolerance of all kinds of speech.

No freedom of speech?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    No freedom of speech?
    Freedom of speech? Bro just wait, people saying SOMETHING bad against either Jews, Judaism OR Israel will get infracted.
    And that's just on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Freedom of speech? Bro just wait, people saying SOMETHING bad against either Jews, Judaism OR Israel will get infracted.
    And that's just on this forum.
    You're wrong. People get infracted on mmo-champion for any kind of racism. Not just towards jews / israelis whatever.

And on topic: It's fine. If Charlie Hebdo weren't arrested for hate speech (ignoring the fact they were murdered), neither should this guy. Either everything is on the table, or nothing is. And I'm Israeli. I don't agree at all with his drawings and the message he is sending, but he has every right to draw and publish whatever he wants.