Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Should bullying be illegal?

After the recent death of a student in my country (20 year old) who has been victimized and targeted by other students inside university premises and after doing a quick search to realize that bullying is not necessarily a crime it got me thinking.

Should the legislation change to punish bullying?

I know there are a lot of things wrong with our society, and bullying is probably not the most significant but still a death is something we should look into.

It also makes me wonder why it isn't illegal in the first place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Propose a legal definition of bullying, then I can answer

How do you define it? How long until normal management practices in places of work to get more productivity from people become bullying?

Harassment is illegal, is it not?

On the other hand, bullies are needed to a certain extent IMO.

Bullying is already illegal, pretty much all forms of bullying fit some type of laws. It's just that we don't persecute bullies for them properly and hide under term "bullying".

If we used terms like physical assault, harashment and other just as valid and applicable laws, things might be a bit different.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I don't think you can legislate against it effectively with the vague word "bully". I actually knew someone in middle school who considered it bullying to not say hello back to someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a very dangerous slippery slope. Imagine soon calling people name becomes illegal, refused to play with someone because of whatever reasons is illegal, not inviting someone to party at work because you don't get along is illegal.

Sounds petty, but the person on the receiving end can easily try to claim bullying.

but in all seriousness, as a victim of bullying for 5 years back when i was in school, that shit should be punished and some legal actions should be taken, and teacher that don't do shit about bullying in schools should also have to face some actions... so many of them choose to look the other way and let kids "sort it out" -,-

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    It is a very dangerous slippery slope. Imagine soon calling people name becomes illegal, refused to play with someone because of whatever reasons is illegal, not inviting someone to party at work because you don't get along is illegal.

Sounds petty, but the person on the receiving end can easily try to claim bullying.
    It doesn't have to be a slippery slope. Just stop hiding behind the word bully and start persecuting things by their real names, some which I listed above.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you cannot have a set definition of bullying, people shoud stop raising tattling, pussy children and teach their kids to defebd themselves. Schools should also stop suspending children for fighting back and defending themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    On the other hand, bullies are needed to a certain extent IMO.
    Bullies are the ones that need a fix...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

If you let yourself get bullied then something's wrong with you, it is really so easily avoided.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    No, of course it shouldn't be illegal, lol.
    Harassment is already illigal, those being bullied don't often report it.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Dannz View Post

but in all seriousness, as a victim of bullying for 5 years back when i was in school, that shit should be punished and some legal actions should be taken, and teacher that don't do shit about bullying in schools should also have to face some actions... so many of them choose to look the other way and let kids "sort it out" -,-
    You let someone bully you for 5 years straight?

not all bullying is equal, some is just real fucked up, others is a moment for you to step up and face your fears. with that said probably better if it didnt exist at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Bullies are the ones that need a fix...
    Depends on the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's in human nature, we should not try to make laws to remove parts our humanity, we should use them to limit it so that we can't harm others.

And so far i know that's already covered, if you're speaking of making it so at young age that's a dangerous path to take we shouldn't make kids into criminals for every wrong doing as criminalizing everything just increases their chances of ending up in that lifestyle for good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugly View Post
    If you let yourself get bullied then something's wrong with you, it is really so easily avoided.
    Yes, I don't know why more people don't use it. It is the Buggs Bunny dress like a lady scam... Make the bully fall in love with you! That's the ticket! I'm glad you had a lot of success with it and found it that easy. Kudos!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    Depends on the situation.
    No, if it did, you'd say it, instead of allude to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yes, I don't know why more people don't use it. It is the Buggs Bunny dress like a lady scam... Make the bully fall in love with you! That's the ticket! I'm glad you had a lot of success with it and found it that easy. Kudos!

- - - Updated - - -

No, if it did, you'd say it, instead of allude to it.
    Okay, I am thankfull to the kids who bullied me back in middle school. I used to be a fatty and these kids let me know about it every day. I wanted to shut them up so I lost weight and became fit. That's just 1 situation that I personally went through, I am sure there are many more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No, it's too blurry a line to be considered a crime, half the kids in the country would be arrested the day they went back to school.
    Let the teachers handle it.