Is gladiator viable anymore?

I had to take a break from wow for a month. I came back and my guild says I need to stop being a gladiator now. They are saying that the numbers between arms / fury is far ahead of gladiator. Is this true? Is gladiator no longer viable?
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T17M.html

Prerry much yes. They changed it the way it was supposed to be. A way for tanks to do some dps if not needed on some fights.

Deleted
    "far ahead" isnt exactly right. afaik arms and fury are ahead on most fights, but only slightly. in the end, it is probably best to just take the spec you got and will get the best gear with (besides being able to play it which shouldnt be hard as a warrior in general).

Quote Originally Posted by Silvator View Post
    "far ahead" isnt exactly right. afaik arms and fury are ahead on most fights, but only slightly. in the end, it is probably best to just take the spec you got and will get the best gear with (besides being able to play it which shouldnt be hard as a warrior in general).
    Well, on a sites like World of logs, you dont see gladiators until ranks 150+ with the others being mostly fury or arms. My guild is saying that its really far behind.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Well, on a sites like World of logs, you dont see gladiators until ranks 150+ with the others being mostly fury or arms. My guild is saying that its really far behind.
    If your guild is not progressing on Mythic raid content it really doesn't matter. Play what you enjoy, and it will work itself out.

That said, if what is fun for you is to min/max, then arms and fury are very slightly ahead.

Deleted
    I personally wouldn't use gladiator spec unless you only raid normals.. Sure one might argue you CAN. But if so, you aren't playing for the max potential of a dps warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    If your guild is not progressing on Mythic raid content it really doesn't matter. Play what you enjoy, and it will work itself out.

That said, if what is fun for you is to min/max, then arms and fury are very slightly ahead.
    Where can I see how they are compared to fury / arms. There is a large gap between the dps of the top fury and the top gladiator on world of logs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haippari View Post
    I personally wouldn't use gladiator spec unless you only raid normals.. Sure one might argue you CAN. But if so, you aren't playing for the max potential of a dps warrior.
    Honestly? Its what I enjoy playing most. Not sure I would enjoy any other dps warrior specs.

Deleted
    I posted a link for you above. Simulationcraft statistics. Check that out.

Edit: Also on front page of that site there is few different scenarios, for example 4T17 etc... etc.. And different ilvl's.
    Last edited by mmoc45c5cbf009; 2015-03-15 at 07:03 PM.

Deleted
    Another downside to gladiator besides simple performance is needing to take tank gear, so I really don't recommend using it unless you're also tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Haippari View Post
    I posted a link for you above. Simulationcraft statistics. Check that out.

Edit: Also on front page of that site there is few different scenarios, for example 4T17 etc... etc.. And different ilvl's.
    I saw that one. But that isn't a large gap. Its 2-3k at best as for patchwerk type fights.But that seems to be where the gap is coming from. Aoe.

Deleted
    Well, if everyone in your raid would spec for the lowest dps spec of their class, how much lower overall raid dps would be? For progression i personally feel that everyone should go for best spec possible for best results... Only my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Where can I see how they are compared to fury / arms. There is a large gap between the dps of the top fury and the top gladiator on world of logs.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly? Its what I enjoy playing most. Not sure I would enjoy any other dps warrior specs.
    Then that's all you need. Again, unless you are Mythic raiding (where 1% can make the difference) play what you enjoy, and fuck anyone who tells you it's not optimal. If you pull your weight and play your class competitively then it doesn't matter what or how you play. If you like Gladiator you can make it work.

I play gladiator because I enjoy it. Plus I'm the only person that can use tank shields (Guardian druid + brewmaster monk). It's easy to get geared.

It's currently just not that great at anything. Slightly better then Arms for ST, but fury is much better for ST.
    It's probably better for 2-3 target cleave then Fury (honestly haven't tested it), but Arms blows both specs away.
    Bladestorm is underwhelming as Glad so AoE burst sucks (especially since the 20%-> 5% stance change fucked a lot of talent damage).

Overall its just... meh. It's not the best at anything for warrior, so it has no place right now.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Arms/Fury are ahead most fights though Glad is second on a couple, however the difference between all three isn't that massive, certainly nowhere near as much as sites like Warcraftlogs and Worldoflogs imply. This is because those sites are essentially collections of personal bests, and as such the top spec[s] will always appear better than it really is (because if spec A is a whole % ahead then all the top geared players will run it and skew the rankings).

Unless you are pushing hard into mythic the is no real reason to play any one spec over the other (The one possible exception being if your guild is struggling on heroic Maidens as it's all about the execute phase damage boost, and Glad doesn't really have any).

The are of course a couple of other things to consider which don't show on meters, firstly gladiator's skill floor requires a face and a keyboard, you can hit your simulated DPS much much easier than with arms/fury (provided you can pump out the APS of course) and it's a lot easier to do while maintaining raid/spacial awareness. Secondly, gladiators are harder to kill than arms/fury, this is pretty minor but not to be ignored as you do 0 DPS while eating floor, and heals not used on you can be useful elsewhere. Finally depending on your raid setup gladiators may be very efficient for your raid when it comes to loot, in my guild we run guardian/brewmaster and our fury warriors/death knights prefer 2H, so I basically get first dibs on str 1h/shields while not sucking loot away from anyone else, this is again something minor but raid loot efficiency means the raid gears up faster which is never a bad thing.

I like glad due to the look, and the rotation.

It has a main rotation with SS and Rev, with HS as a separate system. What I do, is to create an Autohotkey macro to spam HS whenever I have 3-6 US stacks. It's easy enough to maintain without having to worry about DPS CD.

Quote Originally Posted by l0nglive View Post
    I like glad due to the look, and the rotation.

It has a main rotation with SS and Rev, with HS as a separate system. What I do, is to create an Autohotkey macro to spam HS whenever I have 3-6 US stacks. It's easy enough to maintain without having to worry about DPS CD.
    Thats botting. Something other than yourself is deciding when to push a button. Also thats hardly the optimum heroic strike usage.

Deleted
    http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combat...er=95,ilvl=685

Just check these bechmarks.
    Gladi is behind on all fights. And the higher your gearlvl gets, (from say 670>685), the higher the gap becomes..

It mostly depends on how "serious" you play... If you play in a guild that wants to clear, say, HC.. well, ppl are expected to play the most optimal way there is or else some ppl will probably look for guilds elsehwere, cause it is annoying for the ppl who put 100% effort struggling with ppl that put 80% effort

Been playing Gladiator since start of Highmaul and stuck with it until yesterday mostly due to gearing issues (basically just been collecting all the gladiator-appropriate bonus armor gear and left the regular dps gear to our resident fury and arms warriors). Recently acquired a second 680 one-hander though so I thought I've give SMF fury a go. AoE fights like Thogar was a 10k dps increase on my first attempt, Gruul was ~5k increase even though I forgot to switch out of Bladestorm (and completely mistimed Heroism). This at 681 gear.

So no, not viable except maybe some cleave (as opposed to AoE or single) fights. I'll miss the survivability of the spec but nothing else, tbh.