Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bought a new PC, pretty loud, please help!

Hey guys,

so I had a new pc built my Microcenter and these are the specs:

NZXT H440
    EVGA GTX 980 SC
    i7 4790k OC'd to 4.6ghz
    Corsair RM850 PSU
    Corsair H110 water cooler
    Maximus 7 Ranger Motherboard
    SSD/HDD

Ok, so in my setup I set the PC on top of my desk near the monitors and such. When I sit down I can very noticeably hear the fans running. It seems almost like the fans are at full speed or something. I thought that a water cooled PC is supposed to be near silent? I asked my Microcenter technician and he said that is very normal for the type of high end computer I have and I basically agreed with him because I really don't know much about computers. There is one 140mm fan in the back, 2 140mm fans on the top in the water cooler, and 3 120mm fans in the front of the case.
    Is my computer supposed to run this loud?

Off topic: Please no judgment on the expensive PC I've bought for myself even though I don't know much about the technical aspects of how to take care or build one. I make enough money and wanted something awesome to game on.

My iMac was near silent when I would do anything but play games, whereas in the PC it seems like the fans are always running at a noticeable volume..

7+ Year Old Account
    download a program called speedfan, you can get it from download . com

I had a similar problem and thought it was my water cooling system, but then about 6 months after I thought to download a fan controller and it completely allows you to control the noise and it doesnt seem to affect my performance. good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Any PC you overclock "may" have the fans running loud.

OC = more heat.

If you run it stock standard, it will usually be okay.

I have exactly the same watercooler. I don't overclock and my PC is dead quiet.

My 3KVA on-line UPS fan on the other hand? bah... such is the nature of living in a country with poor power.

That should be exceedingly quiet. The fans in the H440 are silent, the video card is not audible until under load (even then still fairly quiet), PSU fan is an RM series which is made for quiet. The only thing that could be making loud noises is your CPU cooler fans. Two ways you can go about this, either go into the bios and select "quiet" mode under cpu fan profile, or open your motherboard software and you can adjust it in there.

Here is a video, the software is called AI suite the tab you are looking for is fan xpert. I would run it like he does in the video, assuming microcenter plugged the fans into the motherboard like they should (lol) this will tune the fans for you. As you see in the video you can also select profiles like silent standard turbo etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KivbxBrf6zA

15+ Year Old Account
    6 fans and you want it to be quiet?

No radiator cooling does not make a system quiet.

Low RPM fans and less than 6 do.

There is absolutely no reason to have 6 fans, even overclocked. I have 3, 2-120s in front one in rear for positive airflow to keep out dust, my system runs cool and quiet, but I do keep my A/C at 73F

With that machine it is going to be loud, especially with all those fans.

OP please dont listen to anyone in the thread but me, do what i posted above and come back with your findings.

User was infracted
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2015-03-17 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    OP please dont listen to anyone in the thread but me, do what i posted above and come back with your findings.
    I literally laughed out loud.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'd be the cooler.
    Air coolers are not quieter by nature, it's the fan that matters and where it's located. I'm more partial to the chunk of metal as it's inside the case unlike the radiator that's at the case wall.
    The H110 is loud in comparison to the other, not so loud coolers especially without a personal setting (non 3rd party) you can control to make it quieter.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/...ooler_review/3

The H440 has some dense foam sound dampening material on the case wall but due to the window it's not as good as it's missing one wall. The other selection is a Fractal Design Define R5. H440 is a great case for all intents and purposes, but if you're going for more silence the R5 non windowed would be better.

Not a fan of the RM 850 and pretty much Corsair in general, but it is designed to be a semi-passive PSU. It'll spin up after the temperature/load threshold are met.

Things you can do are these.
    1. Lower the fan speed profile.
    2. Remove fans.
    3. Buy a fan controller and hook everything up to it.
    4. Replace the fans of the cooler.
    5. Ear plugs.
    The last one is somewhat of a joke >.>...
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-03-16 at 05:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

Fascinate the PC guru.

Linking youtube videos doesnt make you a guru.

One the H110 is notorious for being loud, at least the fans that come with it.

Second, no matter how far you turn those fans down, there is six. Way to many to be quiet and that system will be full of dust in a week.

Id love to fix you people but i dont know how

No matter what i say you will still think you are right lol. Legit the only thing in his PC that is even capable of making a racket is his CPU cooler fans, and like i said above this is easily remedied with the fan control software asus bundles with the boards. I have 8 fans in my PC i legit cannot hear a single one of them with my head right next to it, it really is about how you tune them moremana.

15+ Year Old Account
    You have 8 fans in your case and you want people to take advice from you?

Id love to fix you people but i dont know how

No matter what i say you will still think you are right lol. Legit the only thing in his PC that is even capable of making a racket is his CPU cooler fans, and like i said above this is easily remedied with the fan control software asus bundles with the boards. I have 8 fans in my PC i legit cannot hear a single one of them with my head right next to it, it really is about how you tune them moremana.
    You do realise no one takes u serious even more so after ur BS comments in the GTX 970 thread.

Also BS to the bolded comment. You have done proven you don't have a fucken clue what ur talking about.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I dont understand your logic. For one you are working on a false precept that more fans=more noise. 8 isnt even that many fans, i have an antec 300 that came pre installed with 4 fans, , then i have a 120mm on my hyper 212 cpu cooler, fan in my PSU, and my two fans on the video card this is a pretty standard setup actually.

I just put my head in front of my PC it has a large ventilated opening, i cannot hear anything at all. Only my GPU fans are audible under load, and i could tweak the profiles down if it bothered me but it doesn't. My CPU fan i have set so it never goes above 1200 RPM, its dead silent at that setting.

It really is about how you tweak your fans, im not sure how you dont understand this.

10+ Year Old Account
    More fan is more noise, there's no way you can twist that... The only fans that don't make sound are the ones that aren't spinning. Whether you find a fan audible or not is entirely dependent on the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    More fan is more noise, there's no way you can twist that... The only fans that don't make sound are the ones that aren't spinning. Whether you find a fan audible or not is entirely dependent on the person.
    Its Fascinate after his bs comments in many other pc threads dont take him serious.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

You don't happen to wear a hearing-aid-device, fascinate?

No, more fans do not equal more noise lol. There are two different things here, fan noise and AIR noise. Sure if you add more fans there MIGHT be more of a quiet WHOOSH sound depending on how high static pressure your fans are, but thats not FAN noise. Fan noise is the noise the bearing makes against it seat, and this is the annoying sounds the OP is talking about. You can make any fan quiet, the trick is finding the sweet spot of airflow/silence and this varies from fan to fan. For example my case fans make ZERO noise on the quiet or medium setting, once you go to high they are audible. The fans in the h440 are silent even with full 12 volts to them, nzxt designed them this way to have a low max RPM.

Delid and run your fans at a lower speed.

If you decide to go the Delid route, C.L.U. is key.

Anyhow good luck!

Deleted
    If the fans on H110 are the same as in h100i then they are loud. I had mine replaced with Be Quiet!Silent wings 2 and then setup a custom curve for the fans speed in Corsair link. If your case fans are connected to the mobo then you can do the same with AI suite as someone suggested. With many fans i would suggest just have them (case ones) in minimum rpm. Having a little positive pressure meaning more income than out will help keep dust out.