Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Predicting future WoW features based on past trends - Blizz tests things out first

Blizzard tends to test out new features in one xpac before going full throttle with it in the next one.

Examples:

Dungeon finder came (plus raid browser) first in patch 3.3 (mid Wrath)
    this led to >
    LFR implemented in patch 4.3 (replacing raid browser)

Sunsong Ranch added in 5.0.1 as a small optional progression path where you start with a plot of dirt and grow it into a garden.
    this led to >
    Garrisons in 6.0 with a mandatory progression path where you start with a plot of snow and grow it into a base.

So when looking for FUTURE features in WoW, let's think about CURRENT features that are either limited in scope and/or optional, and imagine them becoming mandatory/expanded in the future.

1. Followers

Currently, it is OPTIONAL to hire a follower in your garrison. This follower will help you in world combat on Draenor only. This is a perfect example of something Blizzard is likely to expand upon and make mandatory in the next expansion. I could see them having some sort of "super followers" in the next xpac:

1. Gear out your follower in all item slots.
    2. Select talents and skills for them
    3. Maybe 30 levels instead of just 3.
    4. Possibly they join you in 5 mans and LFR (but not raids)

They become an essential part of your character. You are gimped without them.

2. More alternate universes

Currently, WoD stands as an introduction to the concept of alternate universes. Its only one world and one possible alternate timeline. Again, this is something Blizzard tends to like to expand upon. Also know that when Burning Crusade was originally released, the plan was to have portals open up from Outland to different worlds, and each world would be the basis of a new expansion. Alleria for example had gone to one of these worlds. This plotline was scrapped at some point, but I suspect its back and we might end up following Alleria (wherever she went).

3. World Puzzles

WoD introduced some interesting but OPTIONAL world puzzles involving lack of flight, such as jumping onto ropes, trees and walls to reach items, particularly in Arak. This is another thing they might take to 11. The next xpac might make these mandatory in some capacity, and might even add these to raids as an extra level of difficulty.

4. Eliminating the concept of bags / inventory

Blizzard has been heading this way for a while. More and more items are getting moved from bag space to just a list of items, with those you haven't "collected" greyed out as unusable. Memory is expensive and its a lot easier to just mark down whether or the item has been collected by a player rather than having the player move it around as a physical thing. The price would be customization and randomness. But it might happen. Maybe you no longer even loot items at all. All of the gear in the world can get listed on your char sheet IF you find it. When you find it, it pops up as available. Then you just click it to activate the item and suddenly you are "wearing" it. Quest items are a thing of the past. Its all counters now.

Those are my thoughts...

no they dont. these days. or do you see scenarios ?

Actually the Raid Browser never left. It's been in the game up until they revamped it as the cross-realm grouping thing at the end of SoO (or during it, can't remember).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    no they dont. these days. or do you see scenarios ?
    Did a solo scenario the other day. Something about stealth and a useless legendary follower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    The next expansion will be much different in my mind. They went pretty deep this expansion with the "Character Housing" and "Bringing back TBC"

I forsee next expansion to be a mixture of old, with a few new things. I don't really have any ideas about a few 'new things' in a game over ten years old.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Did a solo scenario the other day. Something about stealth and a useless legendary follower.
    He meant the group scenarios like Brewmoon Festival or the Secrets of Ragefire.

I guess we'll find out in the Tanaan patch then!

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Actually the Raid Browser never left. It's been in the game up until they revamped it as the cross-realm grouping thing at the end of SoO (or during it, can't remember).
    It was the prepatch for WoD IIRC, so there was a few months or something of Raid Browser for SoO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I'm unconvinced by your initial statements... I don't think the Farm led directly to Garrisons, but /shrug

1. You say Follower, I say Pet, and you say pets for everyone... Sounds fine unless you're a Warlock or Hunter. Now you'd have two pets to deal with. Neverwinter has gone down this route, a levelling and equip-able support character/follower but with Blizzard's nerfing of control over pets during recent years, I don't think I'd like the result of being forced to rely on whatever pet Blizzard wants me to play with.

2. Not enthused. Alternative worlds are the lead in to narratives being brought off the rails, they can be fun and showy but without a good storyteller behind them it's essentially a hollow form of storytelling about diversifying an IP's merchandise line. Alternative world stories also come with the automatic "it didn't matter 'cos it didn't happen". Some lore with meaning would be much nicer.

3. They should include puzzles like that, but bare in mind it's become a staple of other games in the past couple years, so they'd have to do a decent job for it to be worth mentioning to other people. Mandatory jumping puzzles is a sure fire way to piss off some people though...

4. Sounds horrible. Also sounds like something they might do... but given they remove from the game whilst adding just as much, I wouldn't expect something like bag removal for a good 5 or 6 expansions...

In the spirit of your post, I'd say you'll likely see more housing. The farm and garrison I tend to think is about giving the player a feeling of ownership and territory, (something they allude to rather than achieve) and whilst they've succeeded in player's gametime being anchored to it, they haven't quite got it right yet. Guild fortress? Professions moved into singular sites (ie. head to Searing Steppes to visit your mining operation... which you upgrade, automate, etc., or head to Felwood for your Lotus Pickers slave company). They haven't figured out how to do the things they wanted to with housing and then tried to do everything with it. Ideally they will refine it's uses and the tech involved... or drop it like a broken toy whilst running after some new shiny thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I think Timewalker dungeons will be introduced in 6.3. From there, hopefully they introduce optional mentoring throughout the whole game. Basically every other game has it - WoW needs it too.

More recycled content. I would be so mad if it was kharazan with an extra wing or something, but if they just bump it to current level it will be rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Blizzard tends to test out new features in one xpac before going full throttle with it in the next one.

1. Followers

3. World Puzzles

I understand your train of thought; Lets first examine your ideas:
    1. Followers
    New implementation: A more flexible system of acquiring and assigning bodyguards for world / solo dungeons / garrisons. Would require improved AI and some ability pruning of player abilities to complement the class archetypes/abilities of followers.

This is a story hook; nothing new here that will affect gameplay.

3. World Puzzles
    Now new. It was there since cataclysm (firelands area had some platformy stuff; as well as some of the new tames had nice challenges like banthalos.)

New implementation: Yes, the main contender is gear. It will be like Diablo III RoS's transmog system where gear item or color slots are unlocked based on your activities or achievements. collect an item, unlock its slot, then do some achievements to unlock another color / variant. Maybe a tabard tab as well.

My additional suggestions/hunches:
    More ability pruning
    Scaling tech for older dungeons.
    Challenge Mode raids
    Dota style BG with some interaction with Followers
    New tertiary stats on gear.
    New professions (Lumbering is in WoD)
    Wider use of phasing in world zones; This could be either more personal garrisons in other zones, or more alternating phased scenarios in zones (independent of questing choice)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    Well, I think Timewalker dungeons will be introduced in 6.3. From there, hopefully they introduce optional mentoring throughout the whole game. Basically every other game has it - WoW needs it too.
    What is optional mentoring?

If the trend goes on we will end up with 1 stat defining how well we tank,heal and dps and 6 useless stats that determine in which color our characters sparkle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone is fond of playing pet classes so I hope theory one never goes true.

Deleted
    Perhaps mount battles as an extension to pet battles, sure none of us request it... we are fine with the mounts the way they are, but why not level your mounts and unlock skills and meet in the arena. I can totally see this coming, especially since noone is asking for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Perhaps mount battles
    Trial of the Crusader was a preview for that, surely

Deleted
    More time and effort spent on gimmick items that mimic pop culture fads (colour-changing dress cam is next), instead of new zones/dungeons/raids. And integration with every social media platform. And more FB games, accompanied by phone apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendra View Post
    More recycled content. I would be so mad if it was kharazan with an extra wing or something, but if they just bump it to current level it will be rubbish.
    Don't forget it comes with all the optional & non-linear areas chopped off.
    Last edited by mmoc33659a5ac3; 2015-03-16 at 11:00 AM.

Deleted
    Never gonna happen.
    Memory is expensive ..
    Hu??? Dude do you live in 1980? memory is as cheap as never!

Deleted
    What about the Twitter intergration opening the way for Facebook integration as well? It wouldn't surprise me at all

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    What about the Twitter intergration opening the way for Facebook integration as well? It wouldn't surprise me at all
    I wondered why they didn't include it with the Twitter stuff... My best guess is that some people are saying Facebook's just hit the MySpace deathrattle phase.

Oh, I've been saying that for the past decade.

I'll toss you another one I called... The Darkmoon Faire tonks.

When they were first introduced, I realized how complex and unique a combat system mechanic (twitch gameplay) compared to anything else in WoW at that time - resulting theory was spot on, siege weapons. :P

I think there were other tests too - like the hyjal dalies with the "follower" group that was a full five-man. I bet that was a test for possible five-man soloing or "hiring" mercs ala SWOTOR at that time.

Timeless Isle/Isle of Thunder were also tests for "no flying tolerance" as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Another theory that seems to be niggling at the back of my mind is the simplifaction of controls. Many people theorized that WoW could come to consoles... but I seriously doubt it still mostly due to the graphic state it's currently in wouldn't compete much with what's out there. Hell, Skyrim PS3 blows WoW graphics out of the water :P

But, for some reason, I get some weird nagging feeling there's some truth to that idea... but I think I'm missing something, but not sure what. Like, browser runnign and what not.

Oh, and another thing? The WoW coins? the level 90s purchasing? I'm honestly believing these are all heading towards an eventual FTP model where their money is made from the in-game purchases as opposed to a sub fee. Yeah yeah yeah 10 mill subs blah blah... I said "EVENTUAL" - meaning they're prepping for it. I'm sure there's some magic number arithmetic their marketers have figured out where they can make more profit by being un-subbed and FTP but with purchase. (Something like 30+ million players where 10% of the audience buys x amount of items per month vs 10 million subscribers at $15 a month).