Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Best way to obtain a precursor?

Excluding the TP, what would be the best way to get a pre? Champ bags? Pvp tracks? Mystic poop shoot? Perhaps a specific dungeon?

Well tbh, the best possible way to get a precursor is to farm up enough gold and buy it off the TP. If you like gambling then i'd go for the Mystic thrash giver. The probability that you get a precursor from a champ bag is ridiculously low, but that way you'll probably get lots of gold and t6 crafting material which is usefull for legendary crafting. I'd just take the safe route and farm up enough gold to buy it off TP, or wait for HoT. HoT will have a guranteed route for your precursor and i imagine precursor prices will fall on the TP (as they already have started to do so.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Farm gold and buy it from the TP.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

I can't justify buying one for the price it's at currently, if I can find a spark for 700g, ill snag it... So I am trying to find an alternative to the TP in getting it. (Or getting any one of them, selling it, and using that gold to buy spark). Im just not sure what would be an effective way to try for it, since drops seem to be so RNG in the game.

World boss bonus chests have a (slightly) higher chance of dropping precursors than other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Just buy one off the auction house. Grinding gold is the same investment as grinding material but a lot better than playing dice with your earnings.

Gold is everything and nothing in Guild Wars 2.

Deleted
    You'll either have to spend a ton to find one in the Toilet, or spend a ton to buy one.
    I never had a drop so if you're waiting for that, I'll wish you luck for the next few years.
    Or wait for the expansion and craft one.

I got the legend from a PvP chest but the most efficient way to get one is to buy one. Other then that there isn't anything you can do besides play the game and hope one drops.

I am still salty I missed the one time karka event when it was first released cause of work and the surprise reward was everyone got 2 pre cursors. Such bull shit.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Use a credit card smartly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    smartly.
    I can't believe this word exists in the English dictionary. God damn it America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing since launch, in that time I've:

• Made 7 precursors in the Mystic Forge
    • Purchased 4 precursors from the Trading Post with buy orders
    • Received 1 precursor as a random drop off another player in WvW

They have a chance to drop off anything that can drop an exotic, but the drop rate is very tiny and so random as to be unpredictable.

I stopped making them in the forge when the going prices of rares increased the each attempt cost. It's just risky - you could get it on the first try or 1000g in.

Right now I have enough to make 2 more but I'm waiting for HoT and the new precursor mastery system. We don't have much info on this yet, but speculation is that it will be some kind of unlock/collection/achievement type system similar to what we have now with the Luminescent skins.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I am still salty I missed the one time karka event when it was first released cause of work and the surprise reward was everyone got 2 pre cursors. Such bull shit.
    The LA invasion part of it? I missed that, did kill the queen. Friend did the LA invasion and didn't get anything special, but he said lag was so horrible, he may not have even gotten credit.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    The LA invasion part of it? I missed that, did kill the queen. Friend did the LA invasion and didn't get anything special, but he said lag was so horrible, he may not have even gotten credit.
    The bullshit part of that quote was zito saying everyone got 2 precursors lol.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    No it was the kill the queen part.

The bullshit part of that quote was zito saying everyone got 2 precursors lol.
    Except everyone did? Get out of your white rock karizee. There was a massive uproar on the forums.

I'm gonna call bullshit on that Zito, I killed the queen and only got exotic boots and a 20 slot bag...and the karka exotic ring came from that too I think? No precursors though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

No it was the kill the queen part.

Except everyone did? Get out of your white rock karizee. There was a massive uproar on the forums.
    All I got in the mail (since everyone was crashing or lagging out) was a 20 slot bag, an exotic accessory and some other random stuff. No precursors at all.

If you didn't get a pre cursor you should of contacted customer support. Took awhile though - it was a thing I clearly remember.

If you didn't get a pre cursor you should of contacted customer support. Took awhile though - it was a thing I clearly remember.
    None of the folks I know got any precursors, let alone being "entitled" to one from that.

Heck, most of us have been playing since release and none of us have ever gotten a precursor from anything ever.

- - - Updated - - -

From the wiki:
    "A Grand Chest appears after completion of Defeat the ancient karka. It contains 2 exotics, 2 rares, and an Ancient Karka Chest, which contains an Ancient Karka Shell Box and Ancient Karka Shell. "

I still have my karka shell box and trinket. Maybe it had a "better" chance to drop a precursor.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    World boss bonus chests have a (slightly) higher chance of dropping precursors than other sources.
    I wonder what the drop rate is for the pres.... 1%?... .0001%?...

I do not know about others, but indeed I did get two precursors (the pistol and dagger ones) from the karka queen event. And I have never seen another precursor since then.