Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Really effed up things in games you didn't realize till you were older

This thread should be pretty basic. I was reading the most powerful video game character thread and Final Fantasy VII came up. That got me thinking about the truly fucked up shit in that game. The two I can remember were:

1. You start the game working with a group of eco-terrorists and succeed in you first mission, to blow up a power plant causing a giant plate suspended hundreds of feet above the ground with tons of people living both on top of it and below it to come crashing down, presumably killing everyone on top and below.

2. Although optional, and I'm not quite sure how to explain this in detail, but basically you can get Cloud to be either group molested or raped by some gay or bisexual bodybuilders, but at least they leave you with some sexy lingerie or bikini briefs.

So, what other crazy game experiences can you recall with adult clarity and insight now?

Replay through the Banjo-Kazooie games as an adult after having played through them as a kid

You'll have a literal laundry list

10+ Year Old Account
    It was the 90's everything was weird and had a double message, Captain Planet anyone?

That WoW encourages players to become genocidal mass murderers as they exterminate entire families, clans, villages, towns, and cities for a few gold coins and a green belt. In fact, entire races. And torturing people.

7+ Year Old Account
    First video game I started playing was DooM, when I was around 4 years old. Think that's the reason for all the nightmares I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyoken View Post
    First video game I started playing was DooM, when I was around 4 years old. Think that's the reason for all the nightmares I have.
    You'd think the exposure would steel yourself against such things?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beery Swine View Post
    1. You start the game working with a group of eco-terrorists and succeed in you first mission, to blow up a power plant causing a giant plate suspended hundreds of feet above the ground with tons of people living both on top of it and below it to come crashing down, presumably killing everyone on top and below.
    You don't blow up the Plate in FFVII, Shinra takes down the plate to deal with the eco-terrorist bugs, (also slaughtering hundreds in the process {but who cares about the plebs} and setting off the events of the game) that are plaguing their amazing utopia of technology.

To recap, AVALANCHE blows up reactor sucking the soul from the planet, Shinra gets mad, decides to drop a whole city onto them to 'make damn sure' . I will give you the massage thing but hey, don't be such a fucking judgemental ass.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroZero View Post
    You don't blow up the Plate in FFVII, Shinra takes down the plate to deal with the eco-terrorist bugs, (also slaughtering hundreds in the process {but who cares about the plebs} and setting off the events of the game) that are plaguing their amazing utopia of technology.

To recap, AVALANCHE blows up reactor sucking the soul from the planet, Shinra gets mad, decides to drop a whole city onto them to 'make damn sure' . I will give you the massage thing but hey, don't be such a fucking judgemental ass.
    Ah. Wow, been awhile since I played the game, I obviously got some details wrong, bc that sounds right. Still, who knows how many people got killed in the plant's 'splosion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    the simpsons arcade game. el oh el.

some of the megaman games are pretty weird if you do direct translations from Japanese to english.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    It was the 90's everything was weird and had a double message, Captain Planet anyone?
    Captain Planet had a double message?

One of the first games I played was Wolfenstein 3D. The insignia and references throughout the game never hit me until I began learning European history.

That warcraft 3 had a shitty story.

10+ Year Old Account
    That Mario and Peach were def about to do it before bowser showed up in Paper Mario 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Also everything in Ocarina of time......

especially the shadow temple..... and the well........ oh and the fact that there was a genocide and Impa was all thats left of that group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Captain Planet had a double message?
    With all the weird stuff going on in that show you question it? They even had an episode about aids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    That warcraft 3 had a shitty story.
    Warcraft overall had a shitty story, hell if you read about its origins the lore was so freaking basic you'd be pissed and they started creating things on the go, but it doesn't excuse them as generic fantasy storylines:
    -Arthas is a good guy that in looking for his goal he loses everything, WHAT A TWIST.
    -Thrall is really a good guy but no one understands him, he's pretty much romeo and his juliet is jaina, WHAT A TWIST.
    -Illidan is not much far from arthas, but more of a dick.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Deleted
    Looking back on Pokémon and realizing all the sinister undertones of the game that you overlook as a child;

The fact that Blue's Raticate died in the Red/Blue Pokémon games. He has it most of the game, then when you next meet him after the last time you've battled it's no longer on his team and he remarks along the lines of 'Do you know what it's like to lose something dear to yourself?' when you beat him again.

The fact that there's a lot of pokémon that can kill people, and speak about killing other pokémon often (just read the pokédex).

There WAS a war in which both people and pokémon killed eachother over conflicts, this is mentioned in the show and the games.

And I have to say that after playing X that came out the other year, and being old enough to realize things first time, the story included having a big ass weapon of mass destruction that is powered by the life-force of other pokémon, and at one point the evil Team Flare walls off a town, and if you talk to a grunt he says 'The noise, those poor pokémon, I don't know how much more I can take this' as you realise that just beyond that grunt people are killing the wild pokémon in the grass to power the machine to kill everyone that isn't Team Flare....

Thanks pokémon ._. I still love it though, in fact I can appreciate it for being messed up and not entirely child friendly as it first seems

Not in a game.. But...

Animaniacs... I never noticed how many sexual innuendo's, jokes, songs and phrases there where... My god.
    Now I know the meaning of "Good night everybody! (We're fired!...)" mid-episodes and scenes.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!