Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Love is just a series of chemical reactions.

Science has proven that love and long term bonding is the result of nothing more then a combination of certain chemicals in the brain. How do people continue to put so much stock in something you can replicate in a bottle?

10+ Year Old Account
    The day they actually replicate it in a bottle is the day society is doomed.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Someone got rejected.

Deleted
    Somebody sounds jaded because they can't get a girlfriend

Deleted
    Everything we are is just a series of chemical reactions and combining elements. The whole universe pretty much. Why care about anything? But we do.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMeringue View Post
    Someone got rejected.
    Actually the last relationship I was in I did the rejecting, it was nothing major we just both seemed to be going separate ways in life. PLus she wanted to move to Canada and it's to cold up there for me. I just thought this was an interesting field of study.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    The day they actually replicate it in a bottle is the day society is doomed.
    Well they already have replicated it in number of creatures. The most documented ones are a sub species of vole.

Deleted
    I thought it was magic.

Interestingly enough your own consciousness is nothing but a series of neurochemical reactions, so I don't see what the difference here is.

Deleted
    It's usually always people that A. can't get a relationship or B. always rejected that claim love is a pointless emotion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Burningbigbang View Post
    Actually the last relationship I was in I did the rejecting, it was nothing major we just both seemed to be going separate ways in life. PLus she wanted to move to Canada and it's to cold up there for me. I just thought this was an interesting field of study.

Well they already have replicated it in number of creatures. The most documented ones are a sub species of vole.
    You're aware EVERY emotion is chemicals right?

Life is just a series of chemical reactions. Try to enjoy it!

10+ Year Old Account
    "Just?" Why does that make it any less wonderful?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Every decision you make is 100% based on the current chemicals and electric current in your body, love is nothing else, so what, live your life, being happier is better than being sad, even if it's all just materials.

Deleted
    Love is just a series of tubes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Burningbigbang View Post
    The most documented ones are a sub species of vole.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

This thread is just a bunch of 1's and 0's so I'm just gonna ignore it.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like you feel that way around everyone. It's more about why you feel that way with that person. You are right it is a reaction in the brain but it's more about how you get to that point. Not everyone can make you feel that way.

Other then that i'll take 3 shots of love plox.

Quote Originally Posted by wregelmann View Post
    Life is just a series of chemical reactions. Try to enjoy it!
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

Deleted
    Please provide a reference. And I dont mean some clumsy article in a womans magazine, but a scientific peer reviewed publication in an internationally recognized chemistry journal.

I don't think "just" needs to be in there.

Also its not only chemical reactions. It is the context of the whole situation.

Emotions overall are a lot more complex than just "chemical reactions". We experience the feeling and we contextualize it by our experience and situation to obtain the overall meaning. We don't just "feel sad" we feel the chemical sensation and also then contextualize it to the situation to understand the emotion as feeling sad about a thing. We don't just feel happy, we contexualize the chemical release with the situation.

The same is for love. We actually feel the chemical component for love quite often. When you eat chocolate for instance. The thing is we contextualize it with our experiences. We feel love but also its about this other human that somehow can stand us and likes being around us.

That's why you can't just duplicate love in the lab. it's not just the chemical process, it's the whole context of the experience.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It's usually always people that A. can't get a relationship or B. always rejected that claim love is a pointless emotion

- - - Updated - - -

You're aware EVERY emotion is chemicals right?
    Im not claiming it's pointless, and I know every emotion is a chemical reaction. Love is just the one emotion we seem to put the most stock into. We built an entire holiday around it. We don't have Hate Day or Envy Day but we do have Valentines Day. Love seems to be put on a pedestal above all other emotions even though at the base level it's exactly the same as the rest of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    umm your whole mind everything you are is just chemical reactions

you got a problem with that?
    The dopamine say it's fine!

-Kujako-