Private Servers misinformation?

Hey
    I am just wondering why people still consider private servers as illegal? Most of the private servers are being made on TrinityCore2 (it's a legal open-source program which operates the game), and there is nothing illegal in them. Only one thing against the rules is modifying the realmlist.wtf file - it is against EULA, but EULA isn't that important, I mean, in Europe they do not punish people for breaking EULA.

I find it very disappointing for there are some private servers working almost the same as on normal WoW (for example Wrath of the Lich King). In my opinion there is nothing wrong with playing on them (on older expansions) - well, I mean normal private servers, not pay2win bugged ones where you can buy actual boss drops for money (lolten), and still you consider them as illegal and praying Blizz to make legacy servers. Why? There are already "legacy" servers in private hands working almost like Blizzard ones, but still in development and they get better and better every day.
    Last edited by Radeghost; 2015-03-18 at 10:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's just like pirating. If everything was done the way it was designed to (Buy the game, play the game, set up a sub) then there'd be no problem.
    People who play on a Private Server enjoy (mostly) the same game as we do, but for free, in a non-official way. It might hurt the developer, but it is in no way illigal.
    Private Servers sit in a gray area, just inches away from the Red Zone: Asking money for their services, like an in-game cash shop etc. I do however think it is possible for donations to keep the server running, but asking money for in-game items is a no-go.

Look up this case to see what's involved:

Blizzard Entertainment v. Alyson Reeves, 2:09-cv-07621-SVW-AJW, U.S. District Court, Central District of California (Los Angeles).

(Short: it's illegal)

- - - Updated - - -

Added: eg, here --- http://www.freecourtdockets.com/dock...rt-docket.html

@rda
    I don't know why was she sued. From what I know, TrinityCore2 is free, open-source and legal software. Maybe that Scapegaming used some copyrighted WoW files? And donations aren't bad, I mean, paying for ingame VANITY items, like mounts that are not available to get (pre 1.4 unarmored mounts, RAF mounts, TCG mounts, tabards from TCG or old events, CE vanity pets etc)

@zubaja
    But when you pirate a thing, you break law. When you play on WoW private server you only break Eula by changing the realmlist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Locking the thread as discussion about private servers are not permitted.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..