FPS-drops on new computer!

Hi, I just helped out building a computer my friend bought. The parts should be good enough to play the game he loves, Dota 2, and he's at 100 FPS all the time. He has these annoying damn FPS-drops like 0.5 seconds every 5-6 second though.

I fixed it with some launch commands in steam giving Dota 2 a fixed memory and lowered the resolution to 720 instead of 1080. But for me it feels more like a fast solution to a problem that needs to be taken care of.

It's not just in Dota, it's in every game. He even get these FPS-Drops in CS 1.6. I know the computer isn't the strongest shit in town, but IT IS (nay sayers who don't know much go away) good enough for CS 1.6, Dota 2 etc.

GPU: 750ti
    CPU: G3220 Intel Pentium 3Ghz (Duo core)
    RAM: 4GB 1600Mhz
    HHD: He bought a new 7200RPM 1TB

PS: 700W Bronze

How I know it will work splendid? Before I upgraded my computer it was pretty much half as powerful as his is now, and I could play the games he wants to play. AND that he does have 100+ FPS but he get these damn FPS-drops.

Everything is installed correctly, drivers up to date etcetc. Not my first computer I've built.

Anyone has any clue how to fix this? I've done everything in my power. Thank you for any response.

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify the problem: FPS drops every 5-6 seconds in any kind of game, even if it's a game a 10 year old computer should handle. He goes from around 70-100 FPS down to 20-30 for around 0.5-1 second. It's really annoying. Only thing installed on the computer is Windows, Steam, Dota 2, CS 1.6 and Teamspeak 3.

I've tried reinstalling everything (even Windows 8.1) and the parts are worse than my old computer that could play these games without any problems at all.

Get some software to monitor VRAM usage and let us know what it looks like. Any additional information on temps and loads as well. Then we can begin to troubleshoot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also double check the monitor is actually plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by TordFish View Post
    The parts should be good enough to play the game he loves, Dota 2, and he's at 100 FPS all the time. He has these annoying damn FPS-drops like 0.5 seconds every 5-6 second though.
    Sounds like overheating.

Monitor CPU temps with CoreTemp. Characteristic of CPU overheating: 1) CPU temp will approach TJMax (90-95), 2) CPU will reduce clocks significantly to prevent damage, causing massive lag, 3) CPU temperatures will drop rapidly, 4) Temperature climbs again. 5) Cycle restarts with 1.

If the problem is CPU overheating, then the stock cooler might not be mounted properly e.g. if the heatsink wiggles around. Intel stock cooler instructions (super non-intuitive): push pins to lock, twist to unlock. You'll have to remount the stock cooler with new thermal paste (clean off old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol and Q tips).
    Last edited by yurano; 2015-03-18 at 07:04 PM.

Its not overheating, ive checked. Im sick atm but will Come back with more info when im fine again!

I had very similar problem with my HTPC (G3258 OCd to 4.2ghz and HD7850) when I was playing games/emulator on it, turn out the HDD was too slow for whatever reason, not enough iops I guess. I replaced it with a 128gb SSD and now everything is buttery smooth.