Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Eternal life (immortality) is useless without a few rules. Eternal prime, Regeneration, infinite memories, perception of time = age 20-30.

The big one to me would be perception of time. As you age, your perception of time changes.. Thats why when you were young, your school days seem to take forever, where now you work, and the weeks/years seem to come by faster. Thats because 1 year when you are 10 years old is 10% of your total life, so it seems so long.. when your are 50, 1 year is 2% of your life, so it seems it went by so fast. As you get older and older, that perception increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    Eternal life (immortality) is useless without a few rules. Eternal prime, Regeneration, infinite memories, perception of time = age 20-30.

The big one to me would be perception of time. As you age, your perception of time changes.. Thats why when you were young, your school days seem to take forever, where now you work, and the weeks/years seem to come by faster. Thats because 1 year when you are 10 years old is 10% of your total life, so it seems so long.. when your are 50, 1 year is 2% of your life, so it seems it went by so fast. As you get older and older, that perception increases.
    I thought time seemed slow for school days was because of that old adage of "Time flies when you are having fun". And let's be frank, how many kids actually found school (minus recess if that's still even a thing) fun?

Thanks for all the replies but seems like "Can't grow old or die from age" is the best definition

Deleted
    My Experience is you spend alot of time posing and being handsome and fabulous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDEbsZpweDo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Koloss View Post
    what's the meaning of staying alive? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY
    Even better is that song is used as a memory tool to maintain a good CPR chest compression rhytm.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I thought time seemed slow for school days was because of that old adage of "Time flies when you are having fun". And let's be frank, how many kids actually found school (minus recess if that's still even a thing) fun?
    Depends on the person, I found school insanely boring personally. But I also find my job boring, however, regardless what I do, the 8 hours seem over very quickly, where my 6-7 hour school day seemed to last for a very long time.

You do know we are half way through march already right? To me New years wasn't that long ago, we are already 1/4th the way through the year.

Yeah, like a vampire who gets locked in a coffin and is forced to stay there for many, many years until someone accidentally unburys him.
    Pretty sure you would go completely insane and probably not have a thread of humanity left in you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have we considered cultural immortality? Like the way that Michael Jackson will always live on in our hearts.
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." ~Kurt Vonnegut.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Hey
    So if you would have this power you can't die, but can you still feel pain?
    Does immortality come with self healing?

As scenario, what if i'd jump off a tall building smashing into the ground, i woulden't die but would i have broken every bone in the body or not?
    You can still die just not from natural causes /thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hold on, let me ask my friend who is immortal what the rules are
    ... It follows whatever rules you set for it. ITS NOT REAL.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replies but seems like "Can't grow old or die from age" is the best definition
    If you're being technical thats not immortality, thats being unable to age. They aren't the same thing.
    Immortal = Can't die
    im·mor·tal
    i(m)ˈmôrdl/
    adjective
    living forever; never dying or decaying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meestercat View Post
    Have we considered cultural immortality? Like the way that Michael Jackson will always live on in our hearts.
    The problem with that is that we don't actually know if he will be truly immortal. It's entirely possible that a thousand years from now or even a million years from now no one will know who he was or what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post

- - - Updated - - -

If you're being technical thats not immortality, thats being unable to age. They aren't the same thing.
    Immortal = Can't die
    im·mor·tal
    i(m)ˈmôrdl/
    adjective
    Does "can't die" mean you can't be killed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FeareTNB View Post
    Depends.

Are we talking biologically immortal or ultimately immortal (i.e. eternal and indestructible)?
    By my definition that'd mean you'd be invincible.

Immortality to me is not being able to grow old and get diseases. Basically biologically immortal. Invincibility would be immortality but with an indestructible physical body.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Immortal = Can't die
    im·mor·tal
    i(m)ˈmôrdl/
    adjective
    Technically it is real. Someone earlier in the thread linked a page talking about the jellyfish that is actually immortal in the sense that it can revert to it's adolescent state whenever it desires. So, if we want to go on an actual case of immortality then that would what immortality truly is. Pretty much a constant cycle of rebirth I guess.

I don't think the human mind could cope with being immortal after so many years and eventually you would go insane.Sure I would love to live longer then the average Human lifespan but to never die your body becomes your eternal prison.
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Hey
    So if you would have this power you can't die, but can you still feel pain?
    Does immortality come with self healing?

As scenario, what if i'd jump off a tall building smashing into the ground, i woulden't die but would i have broken every bone in the body or not?
    I suppose if someone could be immortal id reckon id be because their cells keep reproducing... Either by some evolutionary choice or man made interferrence...
    But yeah i reckon it could be possible to be immortal as in you wont die from old age...
    Most humans the cells stop reproducing at age 27 aka your cells start deteriorating resulting in poorer skin - grey hair and what else comes with elder ages

Well thats the only way i could imagine anyone achieving immortality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Technically it is real. Someone earlier in the thread linked a page talking about the jellyfish that is actually immortal in the sense that it can revert to it's adolescent state whenever it desires. So, if we want to go on an actual case of immortality then that would what immortality truly is. Pretty much a constant cycle of rebirth I guess.
    The jellyfish doesn't age, but its not immortal. I could go up to it and kill it in numerous ways.
    Immortal means you can't die, period. At least thats my interpretation of the meaning "Living forever; never dying or decaying"

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Immortal means you will not die from growing old. Most fantasy lore I've seen usually has the person age until adulthood and then stop aging or they stop aging at whatever age they became immortal at. Invincible on the other hand means you cannot be killed by disease or physical harm but (I think) you can die from aging.
    makes sence that they would stop age at a certain age when their body has reached their peaks... (cell deteriorating back around again)

Depends on the author of the story, so to speak. The most common type of immortality that I've seen in fiction is aging to adulthood and then not being affected by aging from that point on. It's usually combined with high resistance/immunity to disease and increased ability to regenerate, but still being able to receive fatal injuries.

The jellyfish doesn't age, but its not immortal. I could go up to it and kill it in numerous ways.
    Immortal means you can't die, period.
    I don't know. Can't die and can't be killed seem different because reasons.