Thread: WF vs Socketed

WF vs Socketed

Is there a general rule of thumb, without simulating, that says whether it's preferable to have a Warforged item versus a socketed item?

iirc, it depends on the stat budget of the item. Items with larger stat budgets (helm, chest, legs) gain more from being warforged, while smaller pieces (rings, neck, etc.) are better to be socketed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerkkD View Post
    iirc, it depends on the stat budget of the item. Items with larger stat budgets (helm, chest, legs) gain more from being warforged, while smaller pieces (rings, neck, etc.) are better to be socketed.
    It was looking at the +5ilvl on the ring that got me thinking. It was an upgrade of 4 stam, 9 int and 6 versatility/mastery. Hardly as valuable as what a socket would be.

Deleted
    I tested this yesterday with simcraft and found that a socketed heroic Gruul's Lip Ring gives about 200 extra dps over a standard heroic Gruul's Lip Ring, whereas a heroic warforged gives about 100 extra dps over a standard heroic neck.

However I only tested this with a neck and it's very possible (i'd say almost guaranteed) that this doesn't apply to all pieces of gear. I'd wager a warforged weapon or trinket could result in more DPS than a socketed one.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Socketed > WF.

DEfinitely socket first

wf is better for weapons

Socket gives flat out 50 Mastery, which is our best stat (after int). But again, we only get 50 mastery and nothing else with socket, whereas WF we get an increase in all stats.
    But I haven't done the math, but I believe socket wins over WF in everything except weapons (spell power OP) and perhaps some trinkets?
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Deleted
    i think ppl are forgetting that wf gives more int which is quite a bit superior to mastery, so i would wager a guess that on items that have superior budget like legs with mastery etc. wf would be better coz you would get a big amount of int and mastery but on almost everything else socket would be better but i think either way the difference is minor.

Socket's worth about 10 ilvl of secondary stats, a warforged can give 6 ilvls of primary, depending on the piece. Depends on what you need.

http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items....0.0.0.561.566

WF HC Turret Mechanic's Legwraps got +16int, +10mastery and +11crit. So lets do the math!

16 int = 73,92 stat weight
    10 mastery = 21,11 stat weight
    11 crit = 22,66 stat weight
    total = 117,69

50 mastery = 105,5
    (Stat weights from maxdps.com as Demo. Will vary on your own sim depending on what stats are better for your character)

So by these numbers, WF Leggings is better than leggings with gem atleast, but not by much.
    So items with less int will have less value as WF, and thus making them better with socket.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Warforged is pretty much universally better for any non accessory piece aside from trinkets. Socket is only (potentially) better on heavy weighted items if they are awfully itemized (e.g. Giant Pumpers).