Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You mean in the Western world?

Pretty much every decade after 1949. Arguably further back than that.

Something terrible is always happening somewhere, but in my lifetime nothing all that "terrible" has happened in the US, UK, Australia, etc. Compared to real wars things like terrorist attacks are paltry.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Why is it the best decade ever?
    Best movies ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    If I open my little jar at home, holy dicks does it stink the room up within seconds. Probably my least favourite part about it.
    The police was really badly informed back in the days. All their savvy knowledge came in the 90s, when they caught up with everything.

There was a pub in my hometown, mid 70s that was the city's hash dealing center. You were able to buy it there by the kilos, dealt openly in front outside the pub. The cops had not a damn clue what was going on, other than young people hanging out in front of a pub that had rock music fans as customers.
    Anecdotal, at some point the pub had it's own private amateurs soccer team formed, and we've played cop teams in city wide tournaments a few times.
    Cops vs Stoners, that bears quite some satiric value.

- - - Updated - - -

idk if the residents enjoyed the Junta taking their islands very much
    Probably not.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    Which 80s are you thinking of, the 480s?
    Ugh, imagine growing up in that resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Rassium View Post
    Whatever, grandpa. In the 90s we had Anime, the SNES, and the PS1.
    In the 80s we didn't have anime, therefore it was better.

Actually that's a lie, we had Astro Boy and Speed Racer. Back when anime wasn't a huge commercial conveyor belt *sips hipster latte*.

I like the SNES but the PS1 has aged really badly. PC games > PS1 in that era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Aside from the hot wars the early 80s were the most dangerous phase of the cold war after the Cuba crisis, with the no-information politics of the soviet union and the cowboy policy of Reagan who pretty much wanted to repeat the Cuba threat by stationing middle-range nuclear missiles in Europe.

But yes, apart from the few wars and the constant threat of mutual annihilation it was quite peaceful.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Aside from the hot wars the early 80s were the most dangerous phase of the cold war after the Cuba crisis, with the no-information politics of the soviet union and the cowboy policy of Reagan who pretty much wanted to repeat the Cuba threat by stationing middle-range nuclear missiles in Europe.

But yes, apart from the few wars and the constant threat of mutual annihilation it was quite peaceful.
    thats what i'm talking about. no internet

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The police was really badly informed back in the days. All their savvy knowledge came in the 90s, when they caught up with everything.

There was a pub in my hometown, mid 70s that was the city's hash dealing center. You were able to buy it there by the kilos, dealt openly in front outside the pub. The cops had not a damn clue what was going on, other than young people hanging out in front of a pub that had rock music fans as customers.
    Anecdotal, at some point the pub had it's own private amateurs soccer team formed, and we've played cop teams in city wide tournaments a few times.
    Cops vs Stoners, that bears quite some satiric value.
    Are you like 60?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    In the 80s we didn't have anime, therefore it was better.

Actually that's a lie, we had Astro Boy and Speed Racer. Back when anime wasn't a huge commercial conveyor belt *sips hipster latte*.

I like the SNES but the PS1 has aged really badly. PC games > PS1 in that era.
    Anyone who was using a console in the 80s and early 90s was essentially a noob.
    Those things were used by the unwashed masses.
    True gaming pros used Amiga computers in the 80s up to mid 90s.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you like 60?
    mid 50s.....

mid 50s.....
    Goddamn. I guess I shouldn't be shocked any more haha.

Did your grandson turn on the computer for you today?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

- - - Updated - - -

mid 50s.....
    I was too busy playing D&D and wishing I had a friend who actually owned one of those bad boys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goddamn. I guess I shouldn't be shocked any more haha.

Did your grandson turn on the computer for you today?
    I have a well behaving junior who doesn't wanna make his dad a grand dad.
    I would be surprised if he'd change that. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    thats what i'm talking about. no internet
    Yes, you obviously despise the internet with your constant threads in off-topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yes, you obviously despise the internet with your constant threads in off-topic.
    touche! I'm also 45 years old and close to dying. I need something to make me happy.

I was lucky enough to be able to afford consoles. I had Coleco Vision, Atari 2600, NES, TurboGrafx, NEoGeo I think it was called I just remember Altered Beast. I also had the mini arcade looking hand helds.

- - - Updated - - -

I was too busy playing D&D and wishing I had a friend who actually owned one of those bad boys.
    I also played D&D with the 100 sided dice at some church with a creepy dungeon master who was in his 40's, we were all 10-12.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going out on a hunch that the 80's was the last peaceful decade only because I experienced it first hand and it was awesome.
    Marking the height of the Cold War as a peaceful decade is interesting. We are only recently starting to understand the severity of the continuities that Soviet and US policies wrought during that era.

I don't think humanity is really capable of existing without constantly forming identity through violence though, so I also wouldn't count on there ever being a 'peaceful' decade the world over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post

That time spawned songs like this one....

touche! I'm also 45 years old and close to dying. I need something to make me happy.
    What happened to that 21 year old you were drunk dialing, I thought women young enough to be your daughter would have fit the bill

10+ Year Old Account
    What happened to that 21 year old you were drunk dialing, I thought women young enough to be your daughter would have fit the bill
    oh snap Celista ..its coming back to me now lol.

That time spawned songs like this one....
    Is that a German group? Reminds me of a combination of the Cure and Joy Division. Well the music not so much the singing.
    WTF happens at 3:25 of the song?

I thought women liked getting drunken phone calls at 2am?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland