Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Stephen A Smith (ESPN Achor) "For one election black folks shoud vote Republican"

Just saw this story and wondered if this guy really has a point, not necessarily about African Americans in particular, but any constituency.

http://news.yahoo.com/stephen-a-smit...140317220.html

“What I dream is that for one election, just one, every black person in America vote Republican,” Smith said Tuesday during an appearance at Vanderbilt University, according to audio published by Breitbart.com.

During the 2012 presidential election, an overwhelming 93 percent of black voters supported President Barack Obama, while just 6 percent voted for Republican challenger Mitt Romney.

“Black folks in America are telling one party, 'We don’t give a damn about you,’” Smith said. “They’re telling the other party, ‘You’ve got our vote.’ Therefore, you have labeled yourself ‘disenfranchised’ because one party knows they’ve got you under their thumb, the other party knows they’ll never get you and nobody comes to address your interest[s].”
    Anyway, your thoughts? Does he have a point?
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Just saw this story and wondered if this guy really has a point, not necessarily about African Americans in particular, but any constituency.

http://news.yahoo.com/stephen-a-smit...140317220.html

Anyway, your thoughts? Does he have a point?
    Damn Steven A smith said that? I'm impressed.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No he doesn't have a point.
    If a party wants votes, it should have policies and politics that appeal to the voters they want. Black people obviously have no reason to vote Republican, so why should they?

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything I've ever heard or read about Steve Smith makes me think he's a certified moron and this doesn't change that.

A certain analyst at the Worldwide Leader in Sports is apparently not familiar with America's Finest News Source.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith was angered on Monday afternoon by a story from The Onion titled, "Stephen A. Smith Thinking Son Is Finally Ready For The Sex Argument." The story had fun with the notion that Smith's argumentative style was not limited to his "professional" conversations.
    Last edited by fengosa; 2015-03-20 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How'd he have time to say all that with Mayweather's balls so far down his throat?
    ill probably be infracted for this post

No one should be voting republican in the coming election, period.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    How'd he have time to say all that with Mayweather's balls so far down his throat?
    This is quote worthy, I lol'd

15+ Year Old Account
    He doesn't have a point. He says that blacks are the ones disenfranchising republicans. It's the other way around. Nixon ensured that Republicans would always get the racist vote with the southern strategy.

When constituents of one party claim that more melanin in your skin makes you instinctually drawn to commit violence, not sure why you would ever vote for them.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2015-03-20 at 12:20 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Emjay18 View Post
    No one should be voting republican in the coming election, period.
    Ya we need change. Hillary will fix all of the damage done by the cisheteropatriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's like saying poor young people should vote conservative in the UK. Why the hell would anyone vote for a party that is against their interests.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Everything I've ever heard or read about Steve Smith makes me think he's a certified moron and this doesn't change that.
    This, pretty much. It really makes me think he must be a republican himself, or something. he didn't say "Hey African-Americans, we should really be weighing our priorities and not just hive-mind voting." Instead he essentially says "Let's troll the dems with a power play and throw away an election so they'll cater to our desires the next time around." That's just fucking stupid. But then, he's a pretty unintelligent dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    Yeah, this quote wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Ya we need change. Hillary will fix all of the damage done by the cisheteropatriarchy.
    Could you please stop. We all know you want Hillary to win because it might make libertarians be viewed in a more positive light.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say he has a point, but I actually read the quote so there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    You disenfranchise yourself when you vote against your interests. While its true the Democrats and Republicans make America a one party state (the buisness party) there are minor differences. I don't see how anyone (working or middleclass) can vote republican (and have any semblance of education). Democrats at the moment are moderate republicans, the Republicans are a non credible radical wing that abandoned any pretext of participating in parliamentary politics. The tactic of Repulicans seems to be to try and destroy the country and blame the democrats in an attempt to get back into power, as well as to mobilise Evangelical Christians and scare people with the old the threat of 'The Other' (hispanics).

Why would anyone vote Republican?
    Last edited by mmoc6b1f2f8dff; 2015-03-20 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Likewise, no one should be voting democrat.
    Is Green Party the only decent 3rd party or would you recommend others?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Could you please stop. We all know you want Hillary to win because it might make libertarians be viewed in a more positive light.
    Or maybe I'm just a feminist?

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    No he doesn't have a point.
    If a party wants votes, it should have policies and politics that appeal to the voters they want. Black people obviously have no reason to vote Republican, so why should they?
    Missing the point entirely or just ignoring it?

What he's saying is that the democrat party has 0 reason to do anything to help blacks, they will vote for them anyway. And it's true. You don't see much focus on minorities from Congress because their vote is decided already either way. The two parties are busy fighting over the undecideds and those easily swayed by major events, i.e. young adults and middle class middle aged white people because those votes will actually change and make a difference in elections. By voting republican, blacks would give democrats a reason to actually try to keep their votes.

Or we can just continue the 90%+ democrat vote status quo and continue being socially shit on, lel. That's worked so well so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Or maybe I'm just a feminist?
    Your post history betrays your intent and posting only radical talking points like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang
    cisheteropatriarchy.
    proves that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Is Green Party the only decent 3rd party or would you recommend others?
    The Justice Party maybe.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    There's 20+ organized political parties in the US to choose from.

Why would anyone limit themselves to three?
    Mostly because you almost never hear about them at least me personally.