Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    "Not doing anything for you" and "Actively working against your interests" is more comparable to someone letting you pass and someone shooting you.
    Feigning help for a vote doesn't do much either. You have one side that dislikes you, and you have another that thinks your all idiots, treats you like it, and gets your vote.

I"m not saying Republicans are good, or even better. They aren't.

Democrats are still awful, AWFUL for black people.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

10+ Year Old Account
    He may have a point, but it's lost when he tells everyone to "just vote republican". It isn't up to the voter to suddenly change who they vote for so that those they vote for will change to keep the voters vote. The ones running need to change to fit the voters expectations and not write them off as a lost cause (*cough* Romney *cough*).
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Having recourse for voter rights infringement doesn't change the fact that its a common policy at the GOP state level. One party actively tries to make it harder for minorities to vote. Guess how minorities then choose to vote. Weird.
    GOP voter suppression isn't up for discussion here. They obviously, gleefully do it. They are vile for it. I don't think that's a very arguable case, given the staggering level of evidence.

It doesn't change the fact that the Democrat Party does nothing but play the Black community lip service for votes. It doesn't justify their actions, or lack thereof. It just makes them slightly less evil, because they actually NEED their votes. So they pretend to pander to them, take the vote, and tell them to not let the door hit their ass on the way out.

There doesn't have to be a good and bad guy here. They're both wretched...one is just more so.
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    It doesn't change the fact that the Democrat Party does nothing but play the Black community lip service for votes. It doesn't justify their actions, or lack thereof. It just makes them slightly less evil, because they actually NEED their votes. So they pretend to pander to them, take the vote, and tell them to not let the door hit their ass on the way out.
    Really? Because Obamacare is a pretty big deal for the poor. Guess who is so disproportionately poor.

I mean we could come up with more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    That's not a reflection on black people, thats a reflection on the Republican party lol.

Black people come from all walks of life, yet on voting day 90% of them are still

NOPE. to the Republican party.
    It's a mild reflection on Black people in that they don't have a choice, just a lack of options. The only thing that is really their fault is they haven't demanded, in a meaningful way, better treatment from the Democrats than they get.

By meaningful, I mean something that can have a lasting impact...and not setting a city on fire so that racist trolls on Facebook can substitute the word "nigger" for "thug" when they pass memes around Facebook.

They're in a shitty spot.
    Or should I?

GOP voter suppression isn't up for discussion here. They obviously, gleefully do it. They are vile for it. I don't think that's a very arguable case, given the staggering level of evidence.

There doesn't have to be a good and bad guy here. They're both wretched...one is just more so.
    The GOP also pays lip service to the religious right.

Look at Bush, all those years in office acting like God's gift to religious nuts and yet what did he actually accomplish for them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Because Obamacare is a pretty big deal for the poor. Guess who is so disproportionately poor.

I mean we could come up with more.
    That doesn't explicitly help the black community. That helps everyone. The fact that is helps blacks? That's a great thing.

It's still not something to help them explicitly. The black community has problems that are unique in US cultures, and I don't' understand the obsession with blanket treatments for specific issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The GOP also pays lip service to the religious right.

Look at Bush, all those years in office acting like God's gift to religious nuts and yet what did he actually accomplish for them?
    Tons of political currency, and control of roughly half of the Republican Party.
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Missing the point entirely or just ignoring it?

What he's saying is that the democrat party has 0 reason to do anything to help blacks, they will vote for them anyway. And it's true. You don't see much focus on minorities from Congress because their vote is decided already either way. The two parties are busy fighting over the undecideds and those easily swayed by major events, i.e. young adults and middle class middle aged white people because those votes will actually change and make a difference in elections. By voting republican, blacks would give democrats a reason to actually try to keep their votes.

Or we can just continue the 90%+ democrat vote status quo and continue being socially shit on, lel. That's worked so well so far!
    Democrats use fear tactics against minorities to keep them in line, such as 'those republicans want to deport all the latinos' or 'those republicans want to take away your right to vote.' Republicans use fear tactics against stupid white people, 'Obama wants to take away your guns' or 'Obama wants to make you pay taxes.'

It is absolutely true that being a swing voting demographic gives you much more influence in the political system, unfortunately it is far more difficult to actually change things than it is to just say 'hey you guys should be strategic with your voting habits.'
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

That doesn't explicitly help the black community. That helps everyone. The fact that is helps blacks? That's a great thing.
    So? That doesn't matter. If we're trying to understand why they vote Dem refusing to look at anything that isn't explicitly targeting blacks is silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    So? That doesn't matter. If we're trying to understand why they vote Dem refusing to look at anything that isn't explicitly targeting blacks is silly.
    That's literally the entire point of the thread. He's saying that the Democratic Party does nothing to explicitly earn the vote of the Black Community. He's isn't wrong.

You may think that's irrelevant, but it doesn't make him incorrect. It doesn't mean he had a good solution, but it doesn't invalidate his point.
    Or should I?