Thread: SSD Question

10+ Year Old Account

SSD Question

Probably a stupid question but i cant seem to find the solution. i have a 512GB SSD in my laptop and after installing WoW, Diablo, and some other smaller games i have around 310GB left. i want to install Elder Scrolls Online but it takes up 80GB. That seems like alot for a game and I was wondering if it would slow down my computer at all, especially while playing games like eso and wow (id like my fps to remain around 60 on ultra settings in wow). Id like this laptop to last a while until i build a desktop in a few years. My laptop is a Lenovo Y50 and i got it a few months ago. Its not just a gaming rig either its for my compsci classes as well. Any info would be great! Thanks!
    Last edited by Arcenio; 2015-03-20 at 04:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    SSD speeds wouldn't be affected as an SSD accesses data directly there are no moving parts. It definitely wouldn't affect frame rate that would be your VGA.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2015-03-20 at 04:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    so it wouldnt really make a difference with anything if i install it? Just dont want to bog this laptop down like my other one that i had for a few years

- - - Updated - - -

this is the first time ive used an SSD so sorry for the noobish questions lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Your loading times would be significantly faster with a game that size, but it won't affect your FPS unless the game has some very strange loading mechanism.
    As long as you keep your SSD usage to sub 80% capacity it will run just fine without being "bogged down".

The reason for this is because data is stored in cells (or blocks), when you start approaching 80% usage you start running out of empty cells or blocks and have to start writing to half empty cells. The trouble with writing to a half empty cell is that the data must first be read from the cell, stored in memory, then paired with the new data you want to write to the cell, then written.
    This may not seem like much for a once off, but if your entire application has to be stored in half empty cells that's going to be double the write time for the entire program.

My install of elders scrolls is 41.6 GB, it may use 80 gb while installing but it will definatelly be smaller once installed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    My install of elders scrolls is 41.6 GB, it may use 80 gb while installing but it will definatelly be smaller once installed.
    I installed it last night and saw that, it doesn't use nearly as much as I thought. Thanks all for the help I appreciate it!