Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Overlord 3 is real

Hyped, loved the first 2 games

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/...by-codemasters

Codemasters has all but confirmed Overlord 3 is real and a reveal is imminent.

The British studio Tweeted out the below image earlier today, along with the caption "Ohhh shi....... RUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!" An additional Twitter account has also been set up for the villainous Gnarl, the series' aged Hellspawn and Minion Master.

Though there's no other details as yet, the Gnarl account has been particularly vocal so far this morning, so there's every chance we'll have more news to share as the day progresses.

The first Overlord title came out back in 2007 on Xbox 360 and PC, with a PS3 edition following a year later. It was well-received, scoring an 8.1 from us thanks to a clever storyline and gameplay that turned the action-adventure genre on its head. The sequel, Overlord II, came in 2009 on all three platforms but wasn't quite as loved thanks to narrower scope.

With the power of the new consoles and several years to learn from their mistakes, hopefully this means the long-awaited sequel is set to come back bigger and better.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Woot. I loved Overlord 1 and 2.

Can't wait.

Deleted
    I love Overlord. I just hope this time we get a proper PC port. They always feel like console ports.

Yeah, I stopped playing Overlord 2 when the commands just got so clunky. I loved the game, hated the port. I will almost definitely buy the new game, but I'll wait on reviews and if I read that it's designed console-first again I will probably wait for a deep discount sale.

15+ Year Old Account
    cool. Overlod 1 was good, 2 not so much. they should let us be more evil, even in Overlord 2 we were ultimately "the good guy" that restored balance to the world between the evil and good. they should let us be like...truely evil this time.

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    cool. Overlod 1 was good, 2 not so much. they should let us be more evil, even in Overlord 2 we were ultimately "the good guy" that restored balance to the world between the evil and good. they should let us be like...truely evil this time.
    We are always the good guy in Overlord series, because good ultimately becomes corrupted and it has to be conquered by evil, which gets deposed by heroes. Its quite a vicious circle.

Also, we wont be truly evil until we ditch those lovable minions and turn to necromancy.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2015-03-20 at 03:18 PM.

Yeeeeesssssssssssssssss...

I should replay the others.

Deleted
    Oh hell yeah! Whilst never completed either of first two (too many games, not enough hands) they were a giggle to play, despite bad controls.

In the words of Gnarl

"Evil always finds a way."

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    We got a trailer

Following an initial tease last month, UK-based developer Codemasters on Wednesday released a new video that reveals a third entry in the core Overlord action-adventure series is in development.

The video (see it below) provides an overview of the Overlord series so far and ends by teasing that "evil always finds a way" and "we'll be back." There are also reference four-player support, and you can see flashes of gameplay at around 2:31 in the video.

Based on the teaser video, the new Overlord is a four-player top-down game, which is quite different than Overlord and Overlord II. Those games were played from a third-person perspective. However, it's not uncharted territory for the series, as Nintendo 3DS game Overlord: Minions was presented in a top-down manner.

The video ends by stating some kind of announcement about the game will be made tomorrow, April 23, at 6 AM PDT / 9 AM EDT / 2 PM UK.

Meanwhile, it appears that writer Rhianna Pratchett, who worked on Overlord and Overlord II, will return for the new Overlord title.

In February 2013, Triumph Studios--creator of the Overlord series--confirmed that it had completed "extensive pre-production, engine work and playable prototypes on projects that would very much appeal to Overlord fans." However, at the time, the studio said "volatility in our industry" related to the console transition meant the project could not be taken into full-scale production...yet.

However, now that the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 console cycle is well underway, and both systems are selling generally well, it appears the time could be right for Overlord to return. Importantly, however, Codemasters has not yet announced platforms for the new Overlord game.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

I can't tell if I like or dislike this.

I loved the story but unfortunately I through the controls were too clunky when I played the second game. Maybe this one will be better but I am going to hold off this time since I never completed the second game.

If they turn this into a co-op diablo-esque game ...I swear

I want to be THE Overlord. The sole master of darkness, I want to command my minions, customize my dark tower. I ain't sharin' my power with 3 other twerps (also paused on the video where they showed the silhouettes of the 4 character...they look pretty silly).

From minion controlling 3rd person action/adventure/rpg-ish game to top down dungeon crawler. I really hope this isn't the case.

would very much appeal to Overlord fans.
    Hearing this stuff bugs me, just because something has an Overlord skin to it won't make it appeal to Overlord fans. It wasn't just the writing and story of Overlord that people liked, but the gameplay, being in control of your minions, getting right into the action in third person combat, all this stuff. I'll try not to judge till the reveal tomorrow but already I'm wary

I'm being cautiously optimistic about this. It could be a big disaster, but I can see ways that the dungeon crawler could be retrofitted with aspects of the Overlord formula to make things fun and interesting.

There have certainly been worse genre shifts as of late... *cough*XCOM*cough* *cough*Nosgoth*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    I'll try not to judge till the reveal tomorrow but already I'm wary
    Which is really sad to have to say that, it's something that I really want to be hyped about but for some reason I just can't right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need buy previous games! I saw people opinions and looks promising for me! Otherwise... Who don't like beign an evil overlord?! But i guess new Overlord might be CO-OP game?

Awsome!!! D loved the previous ones so defintly buying the third one

Deleted
    Loved the first one, 2nd one wasn't bad but left a meh feeling at the end and I hate to say it, but this one looks terrible

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    We got a trailer
    And my faith has died, some of us don't have friends, and people like us don't generally like playing Co-op games dammit! I wanted to be THE Overlord, not one amongst 3 others, that's some type of bullcrap right there.

Oh well I'll just go back and play the other 2 that seem far better than whatever crap Codemaster's is bringing to the table, for which I'm sure will crash and burn.

10+ Year Old Account
    That does look terrible, why take the series and make it into yet another top down D3?

I really hope that isn't it, but ehh whatever... I hadn't even thought of these games in YEARS. If it fails then no biggie. It'll just mark the 9000th failed sequel in recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    That does look terrible, why take the series and make it into yet another top down D3?

I really hope that isn't it, but ehh whatever... I hadn't even thought of these games in YEARS. If it fails then no biggie. It'll just mark the 9000th failed sequel in recent history.
    Could be they are going more of a Pikmin 3 style (since Overlord basically WAS evil-Pikmin anyway), where you can control multiple characters.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.