Thread: Eaa + ss + poh?

Eaa + ss + poh?

So now that I'm getting my 4 piece I'm looking at different rotations and possible use of SS, I'm trying to figure out if EAA + SS + POH would offer better throughout than just blanket shielding the raid before incoming damage.

I guess my main question is that since EAA + POH = 100% crit what happens when SS is activated in this situation? Since a POH crit normally yields a heal + shields of the same heal amount does SS just convert that heal into a Sheild so you get a double shield?

If thats the case I could go this route and be able to POH shield 3 groups (one group would be a crit) then PWS the last group and effectively shield the whole raid right before a damage inc.

I figure this would provide way more throughput than what I'm currently doing (PWS two groups then EAA + POH a third as the damage is going out).

Thoughts?

BTW im not taking any mana consideration into this, just throughput, since 4 set mitigates the horrible mana of POH and I usually don't have mana issues anymore anyway.

4-set for disc is so situational. I haven't found a good use for it as of it nor have I seen any highly progressed disc priests using it. When I did the math it wasn't worth the stat loss on better itemized non-tier pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanah View Post
    4-set for disc is so situational. I haven't found a good use for it as of it nor have I seen any highly progressed disc priests using it. When I did the math it wasn't worth the stat loss on better itemized non-tier pieces.
    Sorry, what?
    Paragon priest = https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=167695
    Impact r14 priest = https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=167695

It's truly beyond me how people don't realize how powerful the disc 4pc is. On that log each eaa healed for 370k at a whopping 5702 per cast.
    If eaa is used on cd, the 4 piece essentially turns into 431 free spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanah View Post
    pure bullshit.

4piece isn't a huge boost but every fight in brf allows you to cast your eaa poh right after using archangel, so it's a nice mana save allowing you to drop even more useless spirit for more throughput stats.

no numbers to back this up but basicaly poh is so expensive without the 4 piece proc (which doesnt last for the duration of SS) that there is no way on earth that SS will be used this expansion until blizz acutally fixes priest gameplay.

knowing blizz this will probably be never.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyans View Post
    It's truly beyond me how people don't realize how powerful the disc 4pc is. On that log each eaa healed for 370k at a whopping 5702 per cast.
    If eaa is used on cd, the 4 piece essentially turns into 431 free spirit.
    Thats the thing tho, i run into alot of situation where i don´t have to cast 2x PoH after AA. If there isn´t enough people to heal it is a waste of casting it and also a mana waste. Kromog mythic would probably be a place where i would use it but other then that i can´t think of many fights with constant damage that would always require 2x PoH after each AA.

And since i got Oregorger Mythic WF offhand and only Heroic tier hands i feel its not worth the stats unless there is constant damage and mana needs to be saved.

Other then that to the OP:
    Spirit shell is not worth it imo. EAA does make the SS shields bigger cause the crit affects it, but compared to MoP you get so little use out of it and Power infusion is just too good.
    Last edited by mmoc5829d1e13c; 2015-03-21 at 01:03 PM.

People run 4pc because 6.1 gear got buffed to the extent where the optimal secondary stats in some Mythic HM gear no longer offsets the significant int gap of Mythic BRF gear. The mana cost reduction to PoH is just a fringe benefit under most circumstances, you don't play your disc around the 4pc bonus because it means your EAA PoH casts will be way off timing.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by kouby View Post
    pure bullshit.

4piece isn't a huge boost but every fight in brf allows you to cast your eaa poh right after using archangel, so it's a nice mana save allowing you to drop even more useless spirit for more throughput stats.

no numbers to back this up but basicaly poh is so expensive without the 4 piece proc (which doesnt last for the duration of SS) that there is no way on earth that SS will be used this expansion until blizz acutally fixes priest gameplay.

knowing blizz this will probably be never.
    Can you elaborate? I'm struggling to imagine how that is the case. I find myself usually casting AA before a big damage spike, then spamming PWS, then firing off my cascade and EAA POH as damage actually lands. Is this wrong?

Deleted
    PoH is expensive but worth it with EAA if it you are sure it will hit/pre shield enough people in that group, not worth it without EAA ofcourse unless you got 4 set buff. But you dont need 4 set for mana saving mostly because there wont be situations where you always need 2x PoH after AA aside from like Kromog imo.

Tho if the stats are better then what you got, you should wear it ofc like Pos mentioned but you shouldnt need to go for it specifically. Just try to get 4 set and swich between the fights where you think you could use it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would far prefer it if set bonus was actually linked to EAA, instead of the Archangel itself. Just like good old Inner Focus - the crit is already built in, the set bonus adds mana reduction for the next cast. You activate it and can cast the spell whenever you want. EAA lasts for 30 seconds, thus meaning you'd always get one cheaper cast.

Sure, theoretically it would be a nerf, since you can have 2 PoHs with reduced mana cost. Still, this requires either delaying your AA or not-quite-optimal PoH casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post
    Did you even check this log ? he never used PoH except for EAA, he probably never even used EAA while the 4set is up. It doesnt mean because he has the 4set he's actually using it ...

The biggest problem with the 4set is that on a fight like kromogg you probably are not PoH'ing or using EAA when 4set (clear thoughts) is up. If you are then you are probably delaying archangel ...

If the 4set said "When you activate archangel the mana cost of the next 2 PoH have their mana reduced by 50%". I'd actually start using it.
    Last edited by Talhooo; 2015-03-22 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talhooo View Post
    Did you even check this log ? he never used PoH except for EAA, he probably never even used EAA while the 4set is up. It doesnt mean because he has the 4set he's actually using it ...

The biggest problem with the 4set is that on a fight like kromogg you probably are not PoH'ing or using EAA when 4set (clear thoughts) is up. If you are then you are probably delaying archangel ...

If the 4set said "When you activate archangel the mana cost of the next 2 PoH have their mana reduced by 50%". I'd actually start using it.
    Wtf are you talking about? He was using 4pc as you can see from the Clear thoughts buff.

edit: ok, you're saying "using" as in using PoH during clear thoughts. That's not the point I was arguing for as you could see when the post I quoted, stated that the stat loss wasn't worth using the 4pc.

Btw Altzu used 3 PoH during Clear thoughts so that's 17108 mana saved right there during a 336 second long fight which is equal to 124 spirit.
    Last edited by Overdispersion; 2015-03-22 at 05:55 PM.

It's nice when it lines up with the fight damage patterns, which makes it situational. You won't always want to cast PoH directly after AA, let alone 2 PoH in that window. Fights where there is enough damage to make it worth it, it's a nice boost. It's not stellar, but it's simply a nice mana saver.

I had hopes it would make SS worthwhile, but it didn't.

It's interesting to hear disc priests complain about this set bonus. By damage patterns you mean that, say, you pop aa 15 seconds before stone breath and lead with eaa before bubble floating raid only to discover that every group is topped off? You know what, I'm really really glad. Now you know what it's frustrating for the rest of us to overheal content.

But yeah, no, its true that generally the set bonus is bad if you're overhealing content. Thing is, that is 100% irrelevant because overhealing is for bad guilds and pugs and it has no place for discussion when evaluating the overall strength of a set bonus.

Well it's not so much overhealing content. It's that you won't always want to use PoH right after you cast EAA. Only when there is raid-wide damage at a fairly consistent pace is it worthwhile to do so. In most cases only the first with guaranteed crit is useful, if the second PoH will go into overheal. In that case PW:S blanketing is more useful.

Yeah I understand that. My point is that:
    a) if the damage on the fight is inconsistent enough to where everyone would be at 95%+ hp when you would want to pop aa for preshielding stuff, mana isn't an issue for you or anyone else and so obviously mana saving mechanisms will be weak.
    b) on anything else, such as kromog, blackhand (i could see an argument against this), certain phases of beastlord, blast furnace, and to some extent oregorger if you dont see a good use of eaa right when you pop it you are probably overhealing, something which punishes -every- healing class. You're just feeling the symptoms for the first sign.

And consistent raid-wide damage is all that is really worth talking about, as those are the only fights that take any skill to heal.
    Last edited by Kenyans; 2015-03-23 at 04:45 AM. Reason: oops forgot to quote naer

Quote Originally Posted by Talhooo View Post

You're further progressed into BRF than I am, so take what I say with a grain of salt. On Kromog, I hardly felt like I was "delaying" AA to take advantage of Clear Thoughts (of course we're not talking about hiding behind pillars. 4pc or not, you're delaying AA during that). I felt like AA lined up quite nicely with the Stone Breaths or other AoE. It also felt okay to cast two PoHs during several Clear Thoughts. Most of my overhealing with PoH felt like it was out of a pillar phase and merely used for blanket DAing a group before the following stone breath. PI is always up for that anyways, so everything -seems- to line up quite well.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=25
    If you go to the Casts tab and select AA and PoH, you'll see the only "delaying" of AA was during the scripted downtime. The first cast of AA isn't on the logs as I use it a few seconds prior to the pull so the following AA cd comes up two seconds before the 2nd Stone Breath. Other than that, each AA cast was spot on and the preceding PoH casts during Clear Thoughts seemed efficient enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyans View Post
    Yeah I understand that. My point is that:
    a) if the damage on the fight is inconsistent enough to where everyone would be at 95%+ hp when you would want to pop aa for preshielding stuff, mana isn't an issue for you or anyone else and so obviously mana saving mechanisms will be weak.
    b) on anything else, such as kromog, blackhand (i could see an argument against this), certain phases of beastlord, blast furnace, and to some extent oregorger if you dont see a good use of eaa right when you pop it you are probably overhealing, something which punishes -every- healing class. You're just feeling the symptoms for the first sign.

And consistent raid-wide damage is all that is really worth talking about, as those are the only fights that take any skill to heal.
    If its only certain phases of a boss you might aswell pre shield and pop 1x EAA PoH. If you are only gonna need 2x PoH on certain points of the fight then the set bonus is not worth it imo, then the off piece stats are better. I agree on kromog tho.

Also the most punishing about it is that PoH is still group based. So alot of people might need healing but not enough people in 1 group needs it, then it´s not worth. Was PoH made less group based i think it would be more worth.

Quote Originally Posted by pistola22 View Post
    You're further progressed into BRF than I am, so take what I say with a grain of salt. On Kromog, I hardly felt like I was "delaying" AA to take advantage of Clear Thoughts (of course we're not talking about hiding behind pillars. 4pc or not, you're delaying AA during that). I felt like AA lined up quite nicely with the Stone Breaths or other AoE. It also felt okay to cast two PoHs during several Clear Thoughts. Most of my overhealing with PoH felt like it was out of a pillar phase and merely used for blanket DAing a group before the following stone breath. PI is always up for that anyways, so everything -seems- to line up quite well.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=25
    If you go to the Casts tab and select AA and PoH, you'll see the only "delaying" of AA was during the scripted downtime. The first cast of AA isn't on the logs as I use it a few seconds prior to the pull so the following AA cd comes up two seconds before the 2nd Stone Breath. Other than that, each AA cast was spot on and the preceding PoH casts during Clear Thoughts seemed efficient enough.

It's quite possible your clear thoughts lined up better, and you got a lot of value of the 4set. Kromogg is pretty random on his timings (we had first pillars once before the hands, WTF). But Kromogg is such a best case scenario where clear thoughts will actually line up a few times when you actually want to cast PoH. On Kromogg 4set is probably the best choice, unless you are dropping ilvl for it.

In the end 4set is shit, but sometimes the value of the 4set will outweigh the better stats, mostly it wont. I will just prio myself as very last to get it.