Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Drobu View Post
    My first was an OCZ, that caused BSOD's. Switched to a Samsung EVO, and its be great.
    New PC has two Samsung's and no issues so far.
    I think some of the OCZ's had firmware issues originally didn't they?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin3o4 View Post
    I think some of the OCZ's had firmware issues originally didn't they?
    All thanks, originally, to SandForce and their SF-2281 controller.

Then OCZ did the stupid thing by telling all of its customers they were 'wrong.'

GG. Look where OCZ is now. Specifically, look who owns them.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I've had 3 fail in around 4 years, in the process of RMA'ing my 840 evo to Samsung at the moment. The other two were OCZ Vertex drives, one was an RMA. Both Vertex vanished from BIOS, the Samsung is freezing and won't properly install windows.
    Last edited by Beasty; 2015-03-29 at 11:40 AM.

I had one fail. But it was a total lemon because it only lasted 3 weeks. Got it replaced and the same exact model has been working perfectly for 2 years now.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Should specify more directly what I meant by this because I realize it could be taken a few ways...

What I mean to say is: you have a 120GB SSD and the only thing on it of any real size or importance is your OS? So you've got about 90GB free space. That's ridiculous. Before you say that 90GB is free to make the SSD perform better, no, until you can give us hard proof that leaving such a gaping wide open space on the SSD has any real positive speed effect, I'm calling shenanigans.

Leave about 5-10% of the SSD open, or even just 5-10GB is good, that's really all you need for the exact same effect.
    I use a 120 GB drive for my OS and some larger programs like audio editing, encoding and video software, as well as SolidWorks. Still got a sufficient amount of space but I like to have extra space on my OS drive.

I've been running with a 128GB OCZ Vertex 3 since 2011. It had some issues when I first got it (Windows would occasionally fail to start, but then it'd reboot and pop right up, and I might've had a BSOD or two), but a firmware update barely two months after I bought the SSD fixed all that. I've had zero problems with it since then.

Despite all the hate I've heard for OCZ, I guess I've just been very lucky with them. Of course, I'm just one dude with one OCZ drive, and I'm not exactly putting it through the most rigorous testing with my casual gaming. /shrug

Also running a 256GB Samsung 850 with no issues, but I haven't been using it for very long (that was a 2014 Christmas present from my employer).

I can say I will never go back now that I'm used to an SSD.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-03-30 at 10:32 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I use a 120 GB drive for my OS and some larger programs like audio editing, encoding and video software, as well as SolidWorks. Still got a sufficient amount of space but I like to have extra space on my OS drive.
    And that's fine... he was implying that his OS and next to nothing else was on his main 120GB SSD... that's just ridiculous. =/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
    Refurbished Intel 320 series SSD from 2012 - died in 2012
    Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB from 2012 - died in 2013
    Crucial M4 60GB / 256GB from late 2012 - still alive
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB from 2013 - still alive

I've had 6 HDDs die on me in the meantime, 5/6 being Western Digital
    Wow, how do you guys manage that? I think I've had only one HDD naturally fail since 2003 (and that was a crappy 4GB HDD made long before that), and I've used many of them, and extensively. Well, also my laptop's HDD died around a year in, but the problem was heavy overheating which I didn't try to fix before then, so it doesn't really count.

P.S. Day9 rocks!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.