Poll: Will FFXV live up to its predecessors?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Will Final Fantast XV be the next great console game in the series?

Some have their gripes with 13, and the sequels.

Some have their gripes with 12, and even 10.

I'm sure many will have their gripes with Final Fantasy 15, but do you think this will finally be the landmark game on the franchise what will bring the series back on top?

I think we have all seen that the series has fallen from it's height during the playstation era, and even into the PS2 era. Though, I can't say it's been as widely acclaimed since they embarked on the PS3.

I'm hoping FF15 will invigorate the series, and breathe life back into what made the great and pull in plenty of new fans to extend the series life. Not saying it likely to stop anytime soon, but it doesn't seem as popular as it was, as I said, in the PS1 and PS2 eras.

What are your thoughts?

Let's be honest here.

FF lost it's formula at 7, not at 10 or 12 or 13.

Ever since 7 we have went to whacky ass sci fi fantasy hybrid stories that seem more like acid trips then the charming, cute adventures of FF 1-6. The only exception really is 9 which was a throwback to the older games.

I expect 15 to be just as polarizing as 13 and 12 where. And it will also be a good game, just as both of those where contrary to what some will have you believe because they don't fit their arbitrary definition of what a FF game "should" be while at the same time having little clue what the roots of the series actually is.

Also FF13 sold nearly 8 million copies, and 13-2 sold nearly 4 million. I would hardly call that "not popular". That isn't counting the newly found PC sales either. Really LR is the only one that bombed sales wise, and it was a last gen game that came out 3 months into current gen.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2015-03-20 at 09:05 PM.

Nostalgia is what makes people believe old FF games were oh so good. I'm not denying they were good, but despite what some people seem to believe, they weren't the second coming of Christ. FF13 was actually nice. It was certainly visually stunning, and the story was good up until Gran Pulse, and I can't comment any further, since that part made me throw it away and never come back. I guess that's why people hate it.

As for FF15, I guess some people will be hating on the new combat system. I'm personally not really sold on the boysband characters, too, but even so, I'm considering getting PS4 just for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Haven't played a FF since 12, but I'd really like to think there are new great ones on the horizon. I love the style/cutscenes/armor/magic/lore of the games. I like looking at a picture/character and knowing it's a final fantasy.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Nostalgia is what makes people believe old FF games were oh so good.
    Yeah, no. They actually were really good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of over being hopeful with how Final Fantasy XIII turned out. And its sequels.

I'll wait and see but I'm not really excited.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Let's be honest here.

Ever since 7 we have went to whacky ass sci fi fantasy hybrid stories that seem more like acid trips then the charming, cute adventures of FF 1-6. The only exception really is 9 which was a throwback to the older games.

I expect 15 to be just as polarizing as 13 and 12 where. And it will also be a good game, just as both of those where contrary to what some will have you believe because they don't fit their arbitrary definition of what a FF game "should" be while at the same time having little clue what the roots of the series actually is.

Also FF13 sold nearly 8 million copies, and 13-2 sold nearly 4 million. I would hardly call that "not popular". That isn't counting the newly found PC sales either. Really LR is the only one that bombed sales wise, and it was a last gen game that came out 3 months into current gen.
    6 was cutesy? Wah?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Square has indeed lost my lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Let's be honest here.

I'm sorry but 9 was a piece of shit. I can't comment on 1-5 as I never played them I did enjoy 7, loved 8, and liked X as well. I didn't play 12 13 lost me after a few hours because it was boring. From what I have seen 15 is pretty amazing with the huge open world I would live to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    6 was cutesy? Wah?
    Yes, very much so. If you take 6 as anything other then a slightly edgy disney type story with a Japanese twist then you probably need to go back and play it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I'm sorry but 9 was a piece of shit. I can't comment on 1-5 as I never played them I did enjoy 7, loved 8, and liked X as well. I didn't play 12 13 lost me after a few hours because it was boring. From what I have seen 15 is pretty amazing with the huge open world I would live to play it.
    I'm sorry but I can't take your opinion serious if you like 8 and hate 9. 8 literally has the dumbest leveling and combat system in any FF game, possibly ANY JRPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I think it may kill SquareEnix's console department.

Though, there's always the chance the younger generation makes it a success.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post

lol, it's going to sell over 5 million copies in less then a year. Don't kid yourself. Current gen console owners are thirsty as hell for RPGs.

I'm excited for 15, but I don't know how good it will really be. I just hope it's awesome and I'm playing it no matter the reviews/people's general opinion. Square has given me enough great gaming over the years that I'm okay with trying it out even if it ends up crap, because there always a chance it'll be gold.

A common complaint I see in gaming now is the stories are predictable or not good enough. People have to realize that with the popularity of movies most story archs have been told in some fashion and if by the age of 30 you can't pick out where every story is going you haven't been paying attention. It is really hard to tell a fresh new story in this day an age that will appeal to enough people to reap back the cost of creating a high end video game. (indie gaming gets a pass because of cheap production) But to to a game in a franchise like FF you can't break too many barriers because you need to sell the title because you spent a fortune making it. Looking at the early games most those storylines if they came out today would be predictable and outdated.

- - - Updated - - -

and there is a new Kingdom Hearts coming out with the original writer/director/producer dude back in the mix so that will sell like wildfire as well. Their console department is far from dead or dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, it's going to sell over 5 million copies in less then a year. Don't kid yourself. Current gen console owners are thirsty as hell for RPGs.
    I reject your reality.

I forgot SE makes other games, I should have said it may kill mainstream FF's, but who knows, it is the first next-gen FF.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Yes, very much so. If you take 6 as anything other then a slightly edgy disney type story with a Japanese twist then you probably need to go back and play it again.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry but I can't take your opinion serious if you like 8 and hate 9. 8 literally has the dumbest leveling and combat system in any FF game, possibly ANY JRPG.

Lol 6 cute? It covered topics of suicide, genocide, teen pregnancy (during the apocalypse no less), everyones' love interest died tragically or worse (Ahem Locke's girlfriend), and everyone had a sense of personal loss and struggle. FF4 was cute, FF6 was not at all. It had an extremely dark undertone, balanced by some humorous parts.

Sure Kefka had his funny moments (son of a submariner!), but he also had a very grim and dark undertone.
    Last edited by TheSecretArts; 2015-03-20 at 09:51 PM.

After the shit games that was FFXIII and it`s sequals.
    All flash, shallow and shit on everything that made FF what it is, i`m skeptical, those 3 games pretty much killed square for me.

Game looks pretty, but i have no hopes until i get to play the demo on monday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    After the shit games that was FFXIII and it`s sequals.
    All flash, shallow and shit on everything that made FF what it is, i`m skeptical, those 3 games pretty much killed square for me.

Game looks pretty, but i have no hopes until i get to play the demo on monday.
    General consensus is crappy combat, lock-on camera doesn't work, great music, terrible framerate.

The lead director or someone who knows what they're talking about on the team said the game is only 50% done, so I assume that demo's basically an alpha, even though the last year was dedicated solely to the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSecretArts View Post
    Lol 6 cute? It covered topics of suicide, genocide, teen pregnancy (during the apocalypse no less), everyones' love interest died tragically or worse (Ahem Locke's girlfriend), and everyone had a sense of personal loss and struggle. FF4 was cute, FF6 was not at all. It had an extremely dark undertone, balanced by some humorous parts.
    Alice in Wonderland covers dark topics as well, but it still depending on how it's told is still CUTESY. Notice the word I bolded, undertone. Why is it undertone? Because at surface it is not dark. You said it yourself, thanks for proving my point.

The game was meant for teenagers to play, and most people won't even be able to digest the entire story in a first playthrough. It is hardly "dark". Compared to something like Type-0 or Crisis Core FF6 is far closer to KH on the cutesy scale, sorry bub but you can't win this debate.

The series may have lost its story formula at 7, but it massively went off the rails in terms of gameplay at 13. Calling 13 a Final Fantasy game was bizarre, given that it had almost nothing in common with any other title in the series.

If 15 returns to the gameplay and world construction that made the series so popular to begin with, absolutely, it'll be a staple. But I have a feeling they consider the financial success of 13 to be a sign that they should continue along the lines of bizarre actiony corridor-cruising.

General consensus is crappy combat, lock-on camera doesn't work, great music, terrible framerate.

The lead director or someone who knows what they're talking about on the team said the game is only 50% done, so I assume that demo's basically an alpha, even though the last year was dedicated solely to the demo.
    So i`ve heard, hopefully they will fix the framerate by launch.
    I`ll hold my judgement until i get to try it myself, but yeah the combat does look pretty crappy/shallow, just having amazing summons and gorgeous and stylished effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    The series may have lost its story formula at 7, but it massively went off the rails in terms of gameplay at 13. Calling 13 a Final Fantasy game was bizarre, given that it had almost nothing in common with any other title in the series.

If 15 returns to the gameplay and world construction that made the series so popular to begin with, absolutely, it'll be a staple. But I have a feeling they consider the financial success of 13 to be a sign that they should continue along the lines of bizarre actiony corridor-cruising.
    What?

9, 10 and 12 are all really heavy on story.

9 is played like a storybook, 10 is a story that plays alot on characters and 12 is a massive political storyline in background with you being the small chess pieces in the middle of it all.