Thread: The main raider

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Mop had fantastic gold farm capabilities and I spent my time using 1 hour here and 1 hour there testing out new spots and even had a excel doc to track my time differences and how chests I could get per potion of luck, this was very fun and made it sort of a competition for myself when I wasn't raiding.

Parts of Wod I thought was great was the treasure and garrison res hunting early on in the expansion, garrisons and raids where fun. However the garrison fun quickly faded and turned into a something I just had to do everyday or it made me feel I lost out on to much stuff.

farming mobs for gold didn't work and is basicly not even 30% as fun and rewarding as mop, why on earth they'd ruin that is beyond me. I've not quit wow yet but I've not played for 3 months now because I don't know what else to do in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora Twinblade View Post
    That's what the bonus roll coins were supposed to be, an extra incentive for raiders to log on and do something outside of the raids. That's why it required you to do an average of 6 dailies a day to get your three coins per week.

Sadly people whined to no end about how much "work" it took and how daily quests was the only means of gaining them, so they both nerfed the amount of coins needed to get them and increased the amount of sources that gave you minor coins to the point that they even used those said coins as currency for item level upgrades...

If Blizzard adds anything at all that can give any form of advantage in raids, people see it as a mandatory must have thing, and if said thing is tedious/takes time to get, there will be an outrage at how poorly Blizzard designs their game and how they only cater to (insert audience).
    Same thing could be said about needing to be level 100 to raid, yet nobody complains about that do they?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    what do you mean no content ?
    if you are a raid geared character there is

There is

Jumping Puzzles.
    Gliding Puzzles.
    Sitting for hours on end camping a mount mob
    And my personal favorite.
    Sitting round in your garrison doing nothing all day!
    Normally I would take this as sarcasm, unfortunately I have seen quite a few people actually being serious about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Why do people not play or raid on alts? Do you think those 10 other character slots on your realm are just there for the lulz?

If I didn't raid on alts I probably would've been bored out of my mind 10.000 years ago of WoW already, but it's really fun and insightful to raid with different classes, and in my opinion it also teaches you how to play your main better by getting used to different playstyles and little tricks which you can apply to your main's playstyle. I currently have an ilvl 688 and ilvl 675 alt, boosted a rogue recently and will enjoy gearing it, while also helping my friend's resto druid gear up in normal and heroic pugs.

I simply dont enjoy spending my time making another character stronger. I prefer to have 1 strong character, 1 toon i invest my time in. Plus I don't really enjoy the other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    That isn't much different from me. I have my main which is way better geared than my alts, but when there is nothing to do on the main (all raidprogress done for the week, all garrison tasks, missions etc. completed) I just play my alts, which some of them are almost as powerful as my main. It's not because you only play one character that your character is going to be more powerful than the mains of those who also raid on alts.

I get a huge amount of hours of entertainment out of my alts, so to me it seems that people who refuse to play alts seriously are also missing out a lot. If I didn't play alts I probably would've been bored one month after WoD launched already. Blizzard needs to find ways to encourage more people to try and play alts.
    Back in the days of old wow, most serious players only played their mains, and I remember it was more than enough. Nowadays people play alts to substitute for the lack of content on their mains. Its sad.

Deleted
    If raiding is the only part of the game you enjoy, then no - there wasn't more to do in the old days.
    There's a huge amount of other stuff to do these days, besides raiding, those things didn't exist in the old days. But of course if you don't like them, then yeah, raiding is pretty much it.

You could perhaps trying to get one extra day of raiding done, if that's what you enjoy most.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLuckBox View Post
    Back in the days of old wow, most serious players only played their mains, and I remember it was more than enough. Nowadays people play alts to substitute for the lack of content on their mains. Its sad.
    I don't see it like that though, but getting your main ready for a certain boss with all attunes and pre-reqs and fucking resistance gear grind took a lot of time though. That was not raiding, it was just struggling to get 40 people ready enough to enter the instance.

Once you were done with that grind, it was back to x-raidnights and then fuck all to do in IF.

Deleted
    A common misconception from these players like the OP, who only enjoy one char, is that this goes for everybody. Actually only playing one char is a very small minority.

Alts are a huge part of the game. Try them. they are fun. and you might actually learn something.

Personally i have 9 lvl 100s with garrisons. i raid on 3-4 of them a couple of times a week each. Its hugely rewarding.

Start playing more chars if you lack something to do and dont complain cause ofyour personal vendetta to "only stick to your main"

Why bother with a thread like this it has only been done here like 1000 times.
    Nothing to do in WoD and if you point out things to do they say they don't want to do that.
    People complain of nothing to do that is t the case thier is nothjng they WANT to do.
    Here is a list of a few things to do and I bet someone would say no to all:
    Pet battles
    Pvp
    Alts
    Grind rep- which people complain they liked the game back in the day guess what in vanilla one got rep by grinding mobs just like now thier were no dailies so I call bs on back in the day people
    Harrison jones dailies
    Alexis crystal dailies
    Fish for enormous fish in each area to unlock nat pagle follower
    Fish for lunkers to get pets and mounts from nat pagle pets sell well on Ah even if one doesn't like pet battles they should like money
    Find all treasures and elites throughout dreanor
    Finally get achievements which has always been a thing to do once introduced at max level since wotlk

These are but a few off the top of my head if things to do but they will say they don't want to.
    Want to and nothing to do are two different things.
    These whiners sound like a little kid on summer vacation saying I'm bored and when you point things out to do they say I don't wanna.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wotlk had the daily heroic for the highest badge and badge farming for the lower which was also worthwhile for trading for gems/boes for gold. There was the weekly raid and voa too, as well as 10 man carrying separate lockouts and loot to 25. Generally raid schedules were so full nobody could guild run these things so there was plenty worth pugging with emblems and tier rewarding gear equivalent to the highest level of normal content.
    We have nothing like that now and world bosses reward gear that is essentially useless to anyone interested in raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Wotlk had the daily heroic for the highest badge and badge farming for the lower which was also worthwhile for trading for gems/boes for gold. There was the weekly raid and voa too, as well as 10 man carrying separate lockouts and loot to 25. Generally raid schedules were so full nobody could guild run these things so there was plenty worth pugging with emblems and tier rewarding gear equivalent to the highest level of normal content.
    We have nothing like that now and world bosses reward gear that is essentially useless to anyone interested in raiding.
    I agree they did make 5 mans near useless without valor .
    They took out valor because they listened to the elitist that complained of welfare gear.
    Even though to say get the head piece cost 2200 valor which meant it took 3 weeks nearly of grinding of valor to get it.
    Welfare is getting something for nothing working 3 weeks for it isn't getting it for nothing.

Next they listened to the whine of to many dailies in mop so they did the usual blizz thing and over compensated and took out almost all dailies.

Yes for a established well geared raider the world bosses drop mediocre gear but for Alts or someone getting into raiding it is good gear.
    They also drop mounts for the established raider to keep doing them like they always have had in stuff like this to encourage people to redo things like this
    Last edited by Jewsco; 2015-03-21 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    Pet battles
    I'd rather play Pokemon.
    Pvp
    I'd rather play Dota 2, where PvP is actually done well instead of goal being to get gear to "own noobs".
    Alts
    Not everyone likes alts. My goal is to get my character the strongest he can be, alts don't help in this at all.
    Grind rep- which people complain they liked the game back in the day guess what in vanilla one got rep by grinding mobs just like now thier were no dailies so I call bs on back in the day people
    I'd be very happy to grind rep if I got something that'd make my character stronger. As there is nothing to gain from rep, I will not grind rep.
    Harrison jones dailies
    Already done them all, I liked them actually, they were mostly well done. Even then, it's only one daily every so often and there's not too many of them.
    Alexis crystal dailies
    Already got the monument, also it doesn't help in getting my character stronger because apexis gear is shit and otherwise there's nothing to do with apexis shards.
    Fish for enormous fish in each area to unlock nat pagle follower
    Already capped at Scavenger/Treasure Finder/Epic Mount followers, I don't need another.
    Fish for lunkers to get pets and mounts from nat pagle pets sell well on Ah even if one doesn't like pet battles they should like money
    Not interested in pets, mounts or gold. I don't like pets. I already have the mount that fits the best for my transmog, I don't need more. I already have so much gold I don't really want anymore. Gold has become another useless currency like Apexis Shards, when it can buy you nothing, it's worth nothing.
    Find all treasures and elites throughout dreanor
    I actually did (I like exploring). Still, I can see this is not for everyone.
    Finally get achievements which has always been a thing to do once introduced at max level since wotlk
    Achievements for the sake of getting an achievement is not fun, never has been. If the achievement is meaningful and difficult, like Brawlers, I'm delighted to do them. Most of them sadly are not.

You know what I liked from previous MMOs? That there was constantly something meaningful to do that would increase your characters power. Now Blizzard is too afraid to put something like that in the game because "it'd become mandatory". I'd like those players to try out something like Ragnarok Online, they'd probably quit a week in because they can't get their mandatory GTB Card

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Uhm... You had a more 'Raid or die' back in the days, now they offer much more but take notice, the OP doesn't wish to do much more. And by that view further back in the days, he would be even more stuck.
    Harder to get into raiding, but you had a lot of stuff to do leading up to that.

At the very least, you had Valor grinding, which gave you SOMETHING to do weekly outside of raiding. As a main raider myself, I wait for raid nights and fill up Garrisonville missions. Not much else. For the "I don't have the time to do things!" casual player, then yes, it's much better. Significantly worse for people who actually want to play Blizzard's game though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    I wish people would gives example as what more contents there were in the past rather than just a general "yes".
    - Grinding EXP for a "Paragon Level System" similar to D3, obviously modified because WoW and D3 are way different games. Could also make the stats you get from it tertiary (such as ones we have today), or new stats, such as Looting: More gold from mobs, or Sturdy: Less Durability damage from deaths and being directly hit, so players get a sense of progression, but it doesn't feel completely mandatory (e.g., you won't be kicked from raids because your paragon level is too low [on an opposite version of Guild Levels where guilds that weren't 25 were getting no recruits])

- Very hard solo scenarios that gives players some level of reward: Chance for a raid cache, an item that adds a socket/tertiary/wf (at random?) to one of your items, awesome cosmetic gear that stands out and tells players "Hey look at me, I did this hard content" (read: Alternate CM gear)

- "Mythic Dungeons" that require coordination similar to that of CMs, but aren't timed, and are much more difficult.

- Adding Valor Points back that allows players to buy (separate) Normal BRF gear (maybe upgrade to Heroic?) for players that don't have gear. For ones that do, you can use Valor to buy items that can add sockets/wf/tertiary to your gear.

- Revamp professions to actually have "content" (other MMOs achieve this easily without a second thought), as WoD has ruined any sense of achievement, personal gain, or content with professions. This is the worst they've ever been.

Just a few examples.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Its the sad truth, everything is much more gated today than it ever was.

15+ Year Old Account
    The game has certainly been more grindy in the past. Getting a mount of any level was a heck of an investment, with people grinding for weeks, if not months to get their epic mount.

Part of the issue with the game these days is everything is handed to the player on a plate. There's no real work in getting a mount, there's no real work into getting into raiding. You just do it.

Hence the big outcry about no flying mounts in the expansion so far.

Ye well, I somehow kinda agree with OP. Warcraft in WoD has lost too much of incenitive to do side stuff, sadly. Reputation grinds are useless, because they reward nothing needed or good, rep pets could be bought from AH, while rep followers and rep mounts simply are not worth time invested. Archaeology is awful without flying, they should've fix it by putting four digsites per EVERY location to avoid the situation where you waste more time to get to dig site than you need for actual digging. Blizzard should've done something to make dungeons relevant, like you know, in MoP we did it for valor, which we needed to upgrade gear; that is exact chain of interactions that makes unrelevant content relevant. Now there is absolutely zero reasons to run heroic dungeons at all. Even with alts, because lfr gives better gear and requires less hussle.
    Last edited by l33t; 2015-03-21 at 12:26 PM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    What are those "more things"? Beside raiding and PVP, we have now challenge modes, pet battles, brawlers guild, garrison, treasure hunt and ofc crapton of different achievements to complete and stuff to collect. What were those "more things" in the past?
    none of those provide with gear so from raider point of view they are utter garbage not worth time spend - deal with it most people play for gear and atm only source of gear are raids so people burn themselves out by doin same raid on mutliple alts each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Illitti View Post
    I'd rather play Pokemon.

I'd rather play Dota 2, where PvP is actually done well instead of goal being to get gear to "own noobs".

Not everyone likes alts. My goal is to get my character the strongest he can be, alts don't help in this at all.

I'd be very happy to grind rep if I got something that'd make my character stronger. As there is nothing to gain from rep, I will not grind rep.

Already done them all, I liked them actually, they were mostly well done. Even then, it's only one daily every so often and there's not too many of them.

Already got the monument, also it doesn't help in getting my character stronger because apexis gear is shit and otherwise there's nothing to do with apexis shards.

Already capped at Scavenger/Treasure Finder/Epic Mount followers, I don't need another.

Not interested in pets, mounts or gold. I don't like pets. I already have the mount that fits the best for my transmog, I don't need more. I already have so much gold I don't really want anymore. Gold has become another useless currency like Apexis Shards, when it can buy you nothing, it's worth nothing.

I actually did (I like exploring). Still, I can see this is not for everyone.

Achievements for the sake of getting an achievement is not fun, never has been. If the achievement is meaningful and difficult, like Brawlers, I'm delighted to do them. Most of them sadly are not.

You know what I liked from previous MMOs? That there was constantly something meaningful to do that would increase your characters power. Now Blizzard is too afraid to put something like that in the game because "it'd become mandatory". I'd like those players to try out something like Ragnarok Online, they'd probably quit a week in because they can't get their mandatory GTB Card
    So to sum up all that you said: you don't WANT to do those things which is different than nothing to do.
    You do understand that right?

Pet battling I can see not wanting to do but why wouldn't you collect easy ones to get and sell at good prices?
    Why don't you want money?
    How do you pay for enchants, gems, food, flasks, potions and bags then without money?
    Or do expect people to give you those things?
    You do know Alts help make your toon as strong as they can be by supplying these things and helping make gear too so you arent making your toon the strongest it can be.
    That is the whole reason why I have Alts is so I am self efficient and don't have to buy those things thus saving me money.
    Also any raider with his salt should be fishing because you should be making your class and spec specific 125 food or again do you expect others to that for you?
    Achievement hunting has been part of this game for years but again you don't want to.

I am not saying blizz didn't mess up with taking out valor and dailies for the most part but their are things to do.
    All you are saying is you don't WANT to like a spoiled 12 year old.

How do you raid if you don't have Alts to help make things for raiding or don't go out and collect the things needed to make them yourself?
    You must be fun to raid with if you show up for raids expecting others to supply you with all those things.
    Guess what getting those things is something to do
    Last edited by Jewsco; 2015-03-21 at 01:00 PM.

I am not saying blizz didn't mess up with taking out valor and dailies for the most part but their are things to do.
    No there really isn't if you've done it all already. Anything mat/consumable-related can be bought if you already have the money, and a lot of guilds will even supply it for you if you don't (like mine does; we make pots/flasks and raiders just take them, typically they'll donate their daily Herb Garden yields though).

To be fair, this is coming from someone who has played since Vanilla and has over 22,000 achievement points, but still, there really isn't that much to do, and it's never been worse than it is with WoD (MoP was bad, but at least there was valor and dailies to do. Not fun, but it's still content)
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

So to sum up all that you said: you don't WANT to do those things which is different than nothing to do.
    You do understand that right?

Pet battling I can see not wanting to do but why wouldn't you collect easy ones to get and sell at good prices?
    Why don't you want money?
    How do you pay for enchants, gems, food, flasks, potions and bags then without money? That is what the majority of main raiders want.
    Or do expect people to give you those things?
    That is the while reason why I have Alts is so I am self efficient and don't have to buy those things thus saving me money.
    Also any raider with his salt should be fishing because you should be making your class and spec specific 125 food or again do you expect others to that for you?
    Achievement hunting has been part of this game for years but again you don't want to.

All you are saying is you don't WANT to like a spoiled 12 year old.

How do you raid if you don't have Alts to help make things for raiding or don't go out and collect the things needed to make them yourself?
    You must be fun to raid with if you show up for raids expecting others to supply you with all those things.
    Guess what getting thise things is something to do

What he is saying is he wants something to do which allows his character's power to increase. Why is it so hard for you to understand that? We dont care about SELFIE cameras, we dont care about alts, we dont care about stupid cosmetics or achievements. What we care about is doing MORE DPS/HPS/Survivability. That is all.

yes fishing to some extent is the only thing that a main raider can somewhat pursue, in fact I have been fishing myself it is somewhat enjoyable, but really you can just buy all the 125 stat food you need off the AH its not even that expensive. As far as gold goes, I've already got tons of gold, and honestly I spend a good chunk of it hunting for wf/socketed gear on the AH and BMAH.
    Last edited by HappyLuckBox; 2015-03-21 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLuckBox View Post
    What he is saying is he wants something to do which allows his character's power to increase. Why is it so hard for you to understand that? We dont care about SELFIE cameras, we dont care about alts, we dont care about stupid cosmetics or achievements. What we care about is doing MORE DPS/HPS/Survivability. That is all.

yes fishing to some extent is the only thing that a main raider can somewhat pursue, in fact I have been fishing myself it is somewhat enjoyable, but really you can just buy all the 125 stat food you need off the AH its not even that expensive. As far as gold goes, I've already got tons of gold, and honestly I spend a good chunk of it hunting for wf/socketed gear on the AH and BMAH.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Seriously, this is the struggle that PvE players have because there is ZERO content outside of raiding that increases your power.