Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    snip
    The difference between path of exile seasons and Diablo 3 is that PoE adds mechanics, gameplay to it. One hardcore (season) version focused around bunching up enemies to kill which they spawned portals which could be chained together to summon bosses.

Diablo 3 seasons it just leaderboards.

Blizzard does literally jack shit with Diablo 3 besides recycling content. Rifts, Grifts, bounties, even legendaries (most new legendaries this season are just revamps of legends that had nothing) all have been recycled from the base game. Which isn't a bad thing but when it's the only thing they do....
    Last edited by zito; 2015-03-22 at 02:30 AM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    This season was just not for me. I could not get any set-items with my monk. I got 1x Inna and 1x Sonwoku and I'm like Para 150... In Season 1 my DH had a Full-Marauders Set in like 2-3 Days. Well fuck it, I really didn't want to play Monk but it was the only Class I hadn't played on 70 so far. Next Season I'm going back to Barb

Diablo 2 had Ladder seasons, people enjoyed the competitive race to the top and it kept people coming back to play for each new season
    This isn't 2001. The demographic and what people enjoy has changed in over a decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The difference between path of exile seasons and Diablo 3 is that PoE adds mechanics, gameplay to it. One hardcore (season) version focused around bunching up enemies to kill which they spawned portals which could be chained together to summon bosses.

Diablo 3 seasons it just leaderboards.

Blizzard does literally jack shit with Diablo 3 besides recycling content. Rifts, Grifts, bounties, even legendaries (most new legendaries this season are just revamps of legends that had nothing) all have been recycled from the base game. Which isn't a bad thing but when it's the only thing they do....
    How does grabbing a bunch of enemies and kill them at the same time, then summoning bosses fundamentally change a game? You still want to kill stuff, so you can loot more powerfull items, so you can repeat that again in the next map. So you can push further in the leaderboards. Its a gimmick. Is it fun? A case can be made that it is, and having played a bit of Path of Exile i can certainly say its a great game, but that particular "gimmick" doesn't change the fact its just another ladder on a loot/xp grinding game.

This isn't 2001. The demographic and what people enjoy has changed in over a decade.
    People not reading the full posts though, that definitely hasn't changed in over a decade.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

How does grabbing a bunch of enemies and kill them at the same time, then summoning bosses fundamentally change a game? You still want to kill stuff, so you can loot more powerfull items, so you can repeat that again in the next map. So you can push further in the leaderboards. Its a gimmick. Is it fun? A case can be made that it is, and having played a bit of Path of Exile i can certainly say its a great game, but that particular "gimmick" doesn't change the fact its just another ladder on a loot/xp grinding game.
    I don't recall anyone stating fundamentally changing the game. We are talking about adding gameplay in general - something else to do besides race to the top for the 56th time in a row using day 1 exploits people always find.

But if you want an example of changing the game. PvP seasons in PoE pretty much shook up everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    People not reading the full posts though, that definitely hasn't changed in over a decade.
    I read it fully. I didn't feel the need to quote the entire thing. My point still stands you did nothing to deter it.
    Last edited by zito; 2015-03-22 at 02:48 AM.

How does grabbing a bunch of enemies and kill them at the same time, then summoning bosses fundamentally change a game?
    It was a totally new and unique gameplay mechanic. It did not exist in the game previously, a whole new mechanism was created for it- in addition to ladder reset, unique items, unique bosses, achievements and new game areas.

Path of Exile's "seasons" introduce new game mechanics and content. Also not all this content is limited linear, thus one would gain by participating in a "season" in a manner that is harmonious to the gameplay goals of Path of Exile.

D3's season have no new game mechanics to my knowledge.

PS: Also Bloodlines, the POE league that introduced the 'group up mobs/summon boss' SIGNIFICANTLY changed the way the game was played. New strategies had to be figured out to progress through the normal game. It effect the endgame and how one progressed through that endgame. Bloodlines also changed the power balance of many previous league skills, builds and items- all three of which are discrete aspects in Path of Exile.

Bloodline also change the leveling curve, loot finding, economy, trading currencies and crafting.

The interdependency of Path of Exile's systems are such that even a new mob type changes the game implicitly.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-03-22 at 02:58 AM.

I don't recall anyone stating fundamentally changing the game. We are talking about adding gameplay in general - something else to do besides race to the top for the 56th time in a row using day 1 exploits people always find.

But if you want an example of changing the game. PvP seasons in PoE pretty much shook up everything.

- - - Updated - - -

I read it fully. I didn't feel the need to quote the entire thing. My point still stands you did nothing to deter it.
    You quoted a section that was perfectly qualified by the text that followed it, your reply and the point you tried to make was directly countered by that text that you missed out. You don't have a point at all for it to stand, since objectively what you said is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    You quoted a section that was perfectly qualified by the text that followed it, your reply and the point you tried to make was directly countered by that text that you missed out. You don't have a point at all for it to stand, since objectively what you said is wrong.
    I read it fully.
    /10characters

but to make you happy

I'm not sure why you have to overcomplicate things when talking about seasons, it's very simple.

Diablo 2 had Ladder seasons, people enjoyed the competitive race to the top and it kept people coming back to play for each new season, which is pretty much why Diablo 2 stayed popular for as long as it did. They often added new items as ladder exclusive as an incentive to pick up the game again and play from scratch.

So why is this relevant in Diablo 3? Because a bunch of people asked for it, it's that simple. If you don't like it or don't see what it brings or why it exists then it's simply not for you and that's fine, no need to overcomplicate it with massive discussions about what it doesn't add. It was a feature brought in purely from player feedback.

I had a friend in Diablo 2 that would gear his characters to perfection, spending real money too I might add... Then at the end of the season he would delete that character and start over, every single time. There are players doing the same in Diablo 3, they just like to start over I guess.

P.S. Nostalgia doesn't change the current demographic. The proof is in the pudding, people are already detesting seasons.
    Last edited by zito; 2015-03-22 at 03:05 AM.

/10characters

but to make you happy

P.S. Nostalgia doesn't change the current demographic.
    You keep spouting the line that people have changed... let me spell it out for you then since you still can't read the post.

1. People asked for it, lots of people asked for it... It was probably the highest priority and most talked about and requested feature. Seasons were a feature that were added purely as a result of player feedback

2. They are popular and people enjoy them, many players are returning to the game to play them.

Hard evidence, the proof is in the pudding. Maybe your tastes have changed since 2001, unfortunately you as an individual are not the only person in the world. You're trying to state something as fact while you have evidence right in front of you that what you're saying is not true, but you choose to ignore the evidence completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It was a totally new and unique gameplay mechanic. It did not exist in the game previously, a whole new mechanism was created for it- in addition to ladder reset, unique items, unique bosses, achievements and new game areas.

Path of Exile's "seasons" introduce new game mechanics and content. Also not all this content is limited linear, thus one would gain by participating in a "season" in a manner that is harmonious to the gameplay goals of Path of Exile.

D3's season have no new game mechanics to my knowledge.

PS: Also Bloodlines, the POE league that introduced the 'group up mobs/summon boss' SIGNIFICANTLY changed the way the game was played. New strategies had to be figured out to progress through the normal game. It effect the endgame and how one progressed through that endgame. Bloodlines also changed the power balance of many previous league skills, builds and items- all three of which are discrete aspects in Path of Exile.

Bloodline also change the leveling curve, loot finding, economy, trading currencies and crafting.

The interdependency of Path of Exile's systems are such that even a new mob type changes the game implicitly.
    Well then, so i got the Crusaders legendary new belt on season 2. This belt calls Bombardment just by having it equipped.
    I unslotted the actual Bombardment ability from my bar, and placed something else in it. Is this what you mean with "effect the endgame"? I consider this a new mechanic that changed how i played that character and it drops only on Season 2.

D3s Seasons also have unique items (the one i just mentioned is one of them), unique areas (The Cesspools and Greeds Domain in Season 1 and Ruins of Sescheron soon), Legendary Gems and Potions, exclusive achievements, new goblins etc.

Its already been datamined , the Cursed maps, which are a take on PoE's map system with negative or positive effects just on that map.

So far, Seasons always brought new content AND mechanics.
    Last edited by Razael; 2015-03-22 at 03:13 AM.

1. People asked for it, lots of people asked for it... It was probably the highest priority and most talked about and requested feature. Seasons were a feature that were added purely as a result of player feedback
    Lots of people didn't ask for it

2. They are popular and people enjoy them, many players are returning to the game to play them.
    Lots of people don't like them and aren't returning to the game.

It goes back and forth. What people are remembering from 15 years ago isn't the same. People want variety and depth and new things. Like the people who buy the new iphone that comes out every year. Copy/pasting the game doesn't work anymore like it did in 2001.

Well then, so i got the Crusaders legendary new belt on season 2. This belt calls Bombardment just by having it equipped.
    I unslotted the actual Bombardment ability from my bar, and placed something else in it. Is this what you mean with "effect the endgame"? I consider this a new mechanic that changed how i played that character and it drops only on Season 2.

D3s Seasons also have unique items (the one i just mentioned is one of them), unique areas (The Cesspools and Greeds Domain in Season 1 and Ruins of Sescheron soon), Legendary Gems and Potions, exclusive achievements, new goblins etc.

Its already been datamined , the Cursed maps, which are a take on PoE's map system with negative or positive effects just on that map.

So far, Seasons always brought new content AND mechanics.
    The belt example isn't a new gameplay mechanism though. It used mechanisms that exist in D3 already regarding loot. Blizzard made a new item, cool. The item changed how a class played, cooler still.

However, the item did not require or introduce an entire game mechanic that did not exist previously. Nor can it be as far reaching as changing the economy, class, builds, endgame, progression strategy, et cetera. It couldn't under the best circumstances- the nature of the game is strictly linear.

The comparison of the two game's "seasons" isn't entirely valid. Everythign you mentioned, Path of Exile's leagues adds similarly as Diablo 3. Though the former adds mechanics that are wholly new- they do not exist previously in any form. An entirely new system is developed for them wholesale.

Further Path of Exile is not strictly linear.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-03-22 at 03:22 AM.

Lots of people didn't ask for it

Lots of people don't like them and aren't returning to the game.

It goes back and forth. What people are remembering from 15 years ago isn't the same. People want variety and depth and new things. Like the people who buy the new iphone that comes out every year. Copy/pasting the game doesn't work anymore like it did in 2001.
    All you're doing tho is denying the facts. Your argument is based on denial, nobody is saying that the only thing people want are just ladder resets, thats an entirely different discussion, the absense of one factor does not diminish the value of another, nor does it remove facts.

There was heavy player feedback towards ladders, over on Diablofans, the Official Diablo forums and even here on MMO champion. Ladders/Seasons were a discussion of heavy player feedback, including Q&A with devs. They were a feature added directly due to players asking for it.

You can't just decide that it didn't happen and that it isn't true just because you don't care about them. Because you think that seasons don't work it doesn't make it true, it's just your opinion on the matter which is completely irrelevant when looking at what is actually happening, and what actually happened.

Which is that Seasons were added due to player feedback and that many players returned to the game purely to take part in them.

Quote Originally Posted by marinos View Post
    We already know that s3 starts on Friday April 10th so your prediction is wrong ;p
    Just the S3 part, I stand by the 2.2 part.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Just the S3 part, I stand by the 2.2 part.
    so april 9th?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It does not service any aspect of the gameplay. It is an arbitrary mode with no function to the core gameplay experience. Well, it is the same gameplay but in a limited time frame.

Game mechanics express a metaphor. What is the metaphor of a season in Diablo 3?
    I like seasons. If it weren't for them I wouldn't play D3 at all anymore.

It's a bit overwhelming for me to jump in and continue my old characters after forgetting everything about the game during my long breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    so april 9th?
    7th. The tuesday AFTER Season 2 ends. That gives a few days between seasons (which they usually do) after the patch hits for people "acclimate" to the changes.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

It's a bit overwhelming for me to jump in and continue my old characters after forgetting everything about the game during my long breaks.
    Then you could just make another character in non season? Only seasons makes you truely start over (except adventure mode because logic) unless you like that appeal but you don't need seasons to start over.