mastery cap for prot warrior?

tried searching forums, couldn't find anything related. I;m at 1950 self buffed, should i stop stacking mastery? Seems like my dps could be improved.

I'm ilvl 680

mastery = 1950
    crit =421
    versatility = 1040
    haste = 298

You mention DPS, do you mean as Gladiator? Prot generally refers to tanking, whereas Glad usually refers to using the stance as a DPS.

If you're running Gladiator your best stat is going to be BA (Only on a few slots. Necks, Rings, Cloaks), then haste until you can fit two slams in a charge, then crit. Mastery is actually one of the worst stats for gladiator. If you're tanking then I'd be more concerned about getting your damage through rotational improvements and rage management than gear choices.

Quote Originally Posted by juronimo View Post
    tried searching forums, couldn't find anything related. I;m at 1950 self buffed, should i stop stacking mastery? Seems like my dps could be improved.

I'm ilvl 680

mastery = 1950
    crit =421
    versatility = 1040
    haste = 298
    There's not really a huge reason to stop stacking mastery really.

If you're concerned about your damage you should start focusing on crit over versatility maybe, that would help.

cap should be somewhere around 6400? most likely impossible even with 3 raid tiers and sockets i suppose.

Gladiator = 700 haste > crit > MS > versatility ~= mastery > haste
    Prot.. There is a soft mastery cap where crit block = 100% and a hard mastery cap = full combat table coverage, but neither are reachable in a realistic scenario with gear currently attainable.

I prefer to go crit anyways instead of mastery while prot tanking. It is a much larger DPS increase, and the TMI difference between crit and mastery is, IMO, not significant. Mastery just more or less makes your shield block better which is when you are already mitigating a lot of damage and, more or less, unkillable. Time spent while shield block is down is your most vulnerable period though, where mastery has fairly little effect and parries really shine (crit = parry). With SB down, parries will more reliably save you than a 30% block.

Plus, crit is more fun :P
    Last edited by Ssateneth; 2015-03-22 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    Gladiator = 700 haste > crit > MS > versatility ~= mastery > haste
    Prot.. There is a soft mastery cap where crit block = 100% and a hard mastery cap = full combat table coverage, but neither are reachable in a realistic scenario with gear currently attainable.

I prefer to go crit anyways instead of mastery while prot tanking. It is a much larger DPS increase, and the TMI difference between crit and mastery is, IMO, not significant. Mastery just more or less makes your shield block better which is when you are already mitigating a lot of damage and, more or less, unkillable. Time spent while shield block is down is your most vulnerable period though, where mastery has fairly little effect and parries really shine (crit = parry). With SB down, parries will more reliably save you than a 30% block.

Plus, crit is more fun :P
    I get that people suddenly really like crit now but it's getting a little ridiculous how much people are downplaying mastery at this point.

Mastery is still better if you're pushing Mythic content and are below 695 ilvl. Once you're there or higher, you can generally go Crit and be safe on most fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    If you're running Gladiator your best stat is going to be BA (Only on a few slots. Necks, Rings, Cloaks), then haste until you can fit two slams in a charge, then crit. Mastery is actually one of the worst stats for gladiator. If you're tanking then I'd be more concerned about getting your damage through rotational improvements and rage management than gear choices.
    and by worst he means a fraction of a % worse, but still at the bottom of stat prioritys

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaflare View Post
    I get that people suddenly really like crit now but it's getting a little ridiculous how much people are downplaying mastery at this point.
    He has a valid point tho. Didn´t look like downplaying anyway. Crit is just a viable alternative to Mastery. I am actually glad, that we are one of the few classes with real options regarding our stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

The thing is, crit does kinda lose some value as glad once you get T18 4 set, as SC procs enrage (so you get the 22% (+12% from T18 2 set) for the whole duration). Its still useful, but as we get better gear, mastery increases as value as it is an increasing scalar, and more strength + BA we get (therefore more AP), the bigger the bonus we get from the mastery %, which also increases
    Last edited by Volardelis; 2015-10-16 at 05:39 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still not sure if OP is talking bout glad or prot.
    But Mastery is still pretty much the worst stat for glads without the bonus.
    Last edited by Valech; 2015-10-15 at 07:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Mastery is the best stat for Glad once you have the T18 4set.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders