Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Doctor told me to lose weight, I said how much, he said 20-30, I said 40? He said yeah, 40 pounds.

So I went on google and saw that the best way to lose weight was gradually, like over a year or two. I quickly discovered that people who can lose weight over a year or two have enough will power that they don't have weight problems.

So I put myself through famine. I bought one 6ince sub from subway, bread, no cheese, meat, all the veges. Just one sub a day. I ate this way until I lost the 40 lbs. I was amazed at what your body will do when it thinks it's in famine. There's about 30 defense mechanisms and they all kicked in, lethargy was one, reduced blood pressure was another, I drooled a lot.

So after all that came the hard part, how to keep the 40 pounds off. I had to change my way of living, eat like a thin person, new meals, calorie counting, etc.

I'm not surprised that there are fat people, I'm surprised there are naturally thin people.
    And eventually you are going to die anyway.

I am going to die after a lifetime of pizza and bacon and beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dropping sugars as much as possible and a bit of exercise can do miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    And eventually you are going to die anyway.

I am going to die after a lifetime of pizza and bacon and beer.
    You can still eat pizza, bacon, and beer and have a hot body as long as you consume them in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The moment society stops subsidizing it, the moment society has no bearing to comment and shape policy about it.
    Basically this.

There's a difference between Overweight, Fat, and Obese. Most people these days could afford to lose a few lbs/KG's, but it's the Obese who often become a drain on public healthcare (in countries who have it). Aside from the financial drain, it also takes away resources and adds to waiting lists.

Obesity is a "life choice" for most overweight people. And taxpayers should not have to foot the bill for the consequences of that choice.

As to why people are getting "fatter". I big part of it is a product of today's Society. Most of us are extremely busy juggling family and work commitments, which leaves less time for exercise and more attraction to "convenient" food. How many Office workers have lunch everyday at the local food court were even the Salads are loaded with extra calories to make them taste better?

I'm guilty of this myself, I work shifts, spend a lot of time in hotels overseas, and almost live off Airline food. I have a wife and 2 kids who I'm frequently too tired to spend quality time with and each year find myself having less and less time for sports. To compensate I bought a Treadmill for at home so I can exercise any day/time/weather to work around my schedule and always use the Gym at Hotels when away. I use MyfitnessPal to log everything (as best I can, need to guestimate the Airline food) and I'm still ~5 KG's (~10lbs) heavier than my ideal.

Depending on your commitments, staying in shape requires a lot of dedication and disciple. It's very easy to slide into an "easy" routine which sees you packing on the pounds. However I don't accept that as an excuse for Obesity. At some point, you need to look in the mirror/at the scale and say "Shit, I better do something about this".

Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    Well, if almost every you see is fat, that means its you skinny folk who are the problem. Of all the things people do with their bodies these days, being fat is the one thing that people feel they still have some right to shame others for. The skinny body image that is "popular" use a very recent trend. Its only in the last 20-30 years that being a skeleton has become the preferred body type.

I rather die fat and happy than skinny and hungry.
    Both issues are problematic and cost tax payer dollars every year. No one is saying the skeleton is healthy, but obese people cost millions of dollars in healthcare a year for things like heart disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Doctor told me to lose weight, I said how much, he said 20-30, I said 40? He said yeah, 40 pounds.

So I went on google and saw that the best way to lose weight was gradually, like over a year or two. I quickly discovered that people who can lose weight over a year or two have enough will power that they don't have weight problems.

So I put myself through famine. I bought one 6ince sub from subway, bread, no cheese, meat, all the veges. Just one sub a day. I ate this way until I lost the 40 lbs. I was amazed at what your body will do when it thinks it's in famine. There's about 30 defense mechanisms and they all kicked in, lethargy was one, reduced blood pressure was another, I drooled a lot.

So after all that came the hard part, how to keep the 40 pounds off. I had to change my way of living, eat like a thin person, new meals, calorie counting, etc.

I'm not surprised that there are fat people, I'm surprised there are naturally thin people.
    I thought I had a good metabolism nope not when I saw fat people eat up close. I then started drinking sugary drinks a lot and gained weight too. So those naturally thin people probably don't eat as much and maybe drink juice or soda sparingly.

My dad was on the fat side but when I saw my friend eat at an all you can eat wow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Except we have to pay for their unhealthy lifestyle, same as people that smoke.

Personal anecdote time: I have a cousin, who is pretty obese, he weighs ~290 or so I'd say, and hes probably 5'9" or so, and I see him just plowing through buffets/fast food like nobodies business, and hes will honestly say things like "I'm trying to lose weight!" or "I just started walking more, hopefully that helps!" and its like....maybe put down the fork every now and then dude?
    He does not want to GET thin(ner), he wants to BE thin(ner). Two very different mental approaches, two different mindsets. One leads to people actually trying hard and succeeding, the other one to your fat cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The moment society stops subsidizing it, the moment society has no bearing to comment and shape policy about it.
    This. I don't care about their fat ugly asses dying an early painful death with zero dignity. The cynical side in me says it's easier on my eyes.
    I DO care about them fucking with MY money through our combined health care system (EU here).

@Topic: People are unhappy and are focusing their energy trying to be happy. It's just that their means is proven not to lead to long term happiness. If you are reaching for every last straw to keep your head up you are making shitty decisions, so in a weak moment I might have a tiny bit of sympathy. Maybe that's the curse of our generation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Dropping sugars as much as possible and a bit of exercise can do miracles.
    In essence, the response to every obesity related thread...

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I being trolled? I can't tell.
    I would say with "strife to be ugly", it's a pretty safe bet. Checking if eye was infected is another pretty good clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

I don't disagree with obesity being an issue, but enough with the smug I-am-better-than-you attitude. It does NOTHING to help. Education and better access to healthier foods, empathy and motivation are what's needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I weighed 310 lbs last year. I worked 40 hours on avg since the age of 16, which is when I started gaining weight. I ran out of time to eat breakfast, I had hurried lunches and had very late dinners. That set a terrible routine. More or less that shot my metabolism, I didn't eat a lot, I just didn't lose what I did eat. Either way I was out of work for various reasons, I ate at proper times and did light activity, I lost 80lbs in the course of 6 months.

I'm tired, that is one reason.
    I have/had medical conditions is another reason.

Anything else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    I don't disagree with obesity being an issue, but enough with the smug I-am-better-than-you attitude. It does NOTHING to help. Education and better access to healthier foods, empathy and motivation are what's needed.
    yeah, bullying and making fat people feel bad has the opposite effect than intended. Often the obese is form emotional eating, so making someone feel horrible about their weight will just make them emotionally eat more again.

People eat for the sake of eating nowadays. I think it's a response from our past. Once upon a time food was harder to get, so we needed to eat when it was available. Also, we were more active and needed to eat more, but since food is easily accessible and we have less active lifestyles...we eat too much. Really most people don't need to eat 3 meals and a snack everyday...but people do it because they are taught that.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by geniebsmart View Post
    I was waiing for my doctor one day in his office, and there was this fat lady there, so I gathered my courage and sat next to her and asked her why she's so fat, and she almost wanted to beat me and she yelled in my face and her spit was flying everywhere (thank god I was at the doctor so I could see if my eyes got infected or something from that) and she told me shes not fat but curvy and big boned.
    am I the only one that couldn't help thinking of this:

when they read that?

Deleted
    I didn't know Katie Hopkins posted on MMO-champion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    I thought I had a good metabolism nope not when I saw fat people eat up close. I then started drinking sugary drinks a lot and gained weight too. So those naturally thin people probably don't eat as much and maybe drink juice or soda sparingly.
    Who started this whole 'good metabolism' shit? I have heard so many different versions of what this term even means in the first place; most of them defying the most simple laws of physics.
    After you condense this idea down and strip it of all things that are flat out wrong you are left with: You burn more calories than you take in = you lose weight. Now that doesn't make as good an excuse to stay fat as "Yeah, I inherited my mom's slow metabolism, fml".

People who neither exercise nor eat a lot get skinny, with no muscle.
    People who exercise but eat little are skinny with a little muscle. Muscle growth is limited by what they put into their body.
    People who don't exercise but stuff their faces all day get fat.
    People who exercise a lot and eat a lot turn into fucking giants. More muscle = more calories burnt even when not actively exercising.
    This goes for 100% of healthy people. If your perception is different then see your doctor or psychiatrist. I'm not even kidding.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Stop worrying about other people so much and mind your own business.
    shut up....

Contribute constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-03-22 at 05:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohak View Post
    You are all blind to not see Paragons strat. They used gnome mages as sacrifice to the Earth Godess wich granted them unimaginable powahs and lazor beamz able to cut trough Arthas's tick armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    People choose PvP servers because they think they're going to be the most dangerous predator in the jungle. Then they find out that the reality is they're just the littlest guy in the prison shower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    That's true.

While I'm not thrilled at the prospect of people being overweight I won't harshly judge them based on one facet of their character, it could be lifestyle related, post pregnancy, genetic (Yes, actually genetic) or some other factors that I wouldn't even know about seeing them on the street.

I train 3 days a week with weights and 2 days of cardio now and will be aiming for 10-11% BF in a few months time, my training goals are completely different from someone who's perhaps 10lbs on the wrong side.

Expecting them to invest the same effort I do is ridiculous.

That said I think dieting and actually knowing about nutrition is a sorely missed subject nowadays, that alongside the ease of putting a burger in a microwave is a leading cause.

Lack of information and ease of access.

Quote Originally Posted by hordeorcrogue View Post
    shut up....
    nou

Life is already far too long to spend sticking your dick in other people's business, and the types of people who get uppity about how many french fries a complete stranger eats are generally not the types to waste time on.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Stop worrying about other people so much and mind your own business.
    Really all that needs to be said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.