Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

DLC going way to far now.

DLC has finally hit its breaking point for me. No longer are they new add-ons for something, they are simply removed shit from the base game to tack on extra money.

Activision can go fuck itself royally, after owning Call of Duty: AW for a few months I thought "fuck it I feel like killing some Zombies". So I load it up and it tells me "Oh to play this game you must purchase the DLC.

What the fuck is up with that, they have literally taken something that has been baseline for many CoD's over the last 7 years and you now have to not only buy the game to play it but buy DLC on top of it again.. Considering it was one of the main reasons I bought it because pre-release they said their would be a new Zombie type game and dedicated servers and then to not deliver on servers AND charge more money for Zombies, well Activision can suck a gigantic sack of dicks. I for one now refuse to buy anything Activision-related or support any of their games, including anything Blizzard related. I will play the Free-to-play shit but everything else can fuck off.

....and companies struggle to figure out why people pirate their games so much these days.

Stop paying then ?

You need to vote with your wallet, if enough people do that, they might stop some day.
    Since people don't, it will continue happening and some companies will take more advantage of it than others.

CDPR FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    DLC has finally hit its breaking point for me. No longer are they new add-ons for something, they are simply removed shit from the base game to tack on extra money.

Activision can go fuck itself royally, after owning Call of Duty: AW for a few months I thought "fuck it I feel like killing some Zombies". So I load it up and it tells me "Oh to play this game you must purchase the DLC.

What the fuck is up with that, they have literally taken something that has been baseline for many CoD's over the last 7 years and you now have to not only buy the game to play it but buy DLC on top of it again.. Considering it was one of the main reasons I bought it because pre-release they said their would be a new Zombie type game and dedicated servers and then to not deliver on servers AND charge more money for Zombies, well Activision can suck a gigantic sack of dicks. I for one now refuse to buy anything Activision-related or support any of their games, including anything Blizzard related. I will play the Free-to-play shit but everything else can fuck off.

....and companies struggle to figure out why people pirate their games so much these days.
    First off not trying to sound like I am taking up for Activison but Zombie mode has always been in Tryarc Call of Duty games. This is a Slugehammer call of duty and its mode is exo suilts so I can see them charging for it.

With that said I agree DLC has gotten out of Hand Activison proved it with Destiny. Turtle Rock proved it with Evlove and I don't give a shit that its mostly cosmetic DLC or not. When u release a game and ur goal is to milk the customers with DLC and the core game suffers from it there is a problem.

There is few companys who do DLC right Nintendo/CD Project Red/Rockstar with GTAV.

The only thing you can do is speak with ur wallet and stop buying from the companys who piss you off.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    You need to vote with your wallet, if enough people do that, they might stop some day.
    Since people don't, it will continue happening and some companies will take more advantage of it than others.

CDPR FTW.
    I figured I was voting with my wallet, by not buying the season pass for extra maps. But even things that SHOULD be baseline are now fucking DLC..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    CDPR FTW.
    Amen brother.

Have they ever been something else? There are a few exceptions but this whole: It's done after base game is already gold blabla has never been true.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    In comparsion, Nintendo's way of releasing DLCs is simply awesome, at least for Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. For Wii U/3DS. They released MK8 with the expected number of tracks (8 cups, 4 tracks each), a normal roster (with the usual Nintendo criteria of character choice: 7 koopalings. Bowser Jr.? Nah, you'll get this awesome PINK GOLD PEACH). Then, after some months, they released more tracks and characters. But everything was just a plus for the core game.

Deleted
    Yea, I don't know if people still play Evolve but they received lots of angry reviews because of it's little content for game and the loads of DLC that will come. I didn't buy the game because initial price was too high for what you got, and I refuse to pay DLC to get what we should have got at start.

And same with star wars battlefront 3, it looks like a really fun game but seeing history of the devs DLCs will be all over the place, which is a shame because I will most likely pass on the game for that reason as well.

I figured I was voting with my wallet, by not buying the season pass for extra maps. But even things that SHOULD be baseline are now fucking DLC..
    Yeah exactly... Things that SHOULD be baseline turned into paid DLC because greedy companies started selling DLC instead of giving for free and people fell for it.
    They started pushing it slowly more and more, people kept paying for it thus reaching a point where parts of the game are cut and put into a separate DLC that you need to pay for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Yea, I don't know if people still play Evolve but they received lots of angry reviews because of it's little content for game and the loads of DLC that will come. I didn't buy the game because initial price was too high for what you got, and I refuse to pay DLC to get what we should have got at start.

And same with star wars battlefront 3, it looks like a really fun game but seeing history of the devs DLCs will be all over the place, which is a shame because I will most likely pass on the game for that reason as well.
    Some of us play it! I for one have enjoyed it immensely, 21 hours so far. But I see where people are mad about skins, but honestly, in my 21 hours I've seen no one with any of the skins (other than the Season Pass skins you get). I myself have brought the Season Pass (but on a cheap cdkey site) and know I'll get my moneys worth with the 4 new hunters, but after that I won't be spending more money in the game.

Battlefront 3 scares me because it's being produced by EA, and I know they're going to cram it full of DLC + this premium bs, and tarnish the memory of two great games.

Other than that, I don't normally buy DLC, unless it's a great game (Batman City-Origins campaign dlc) or a season pass where it's "worth" it (borderlands 2).
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post

evolve just released a monster for something like 11.99 and 4 hunters for 6.99 each or all of them for 19.99. no wonder its already got a 25% discount on the game at steam. currently less than 3.5k players.. not really watched its stats but its way below half of L4D2 numbers. Sad for a game which looked to have loads of potential.
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2015-03-22 at 12:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    evolve just released a monster for something like 11.99 and 4 hunters for 6.99 each or all of them for 19.99. no wonder its already got a 25% discount on the game at steam. currently less than 3.5k players.. not really watched its stats but its way below half of L4D2 numbers. Sad for a game which looked to have loads of potential.
    Wait are those numbers legit? Assuming they are PC only, but that still seems crazy low.

It has never ceased from amusing me how things that you typically got as free cheat codes now cost arm and feet.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Day one DLC is out of control. It creates a really negative consumer experience, because outside of silly weapon/armor skin packs, no one wants to feel like they are buying an "incomplete" version of the game. As a result, they pay up for the "extras". True DLC packs which add new questlines and characters, like Lair of the Shadow Broker or something, are examples of well-done DLC. As others have said, speak with your wallet. It's the most powerful method of protest when it comes to this hobby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pre-order bonuses in the form of free dlc is a large part of the problem, they have now started trying to guilt-trip people into feeling like they miss out on parts of the game if they buy it after reviews and word of mouth are available.

It's really only some companies. Activision being one of them, bungie being another (bungie literally cut content already in the game and hid it behind an invisible wall to sell later).

However Nintendo does fabulous DLC. Affordable and well valued. $12 for 6 characters, 16 tracks and 8 new cars. Same with hyrule warriors. It's $20 for bunch of new characters and missions and outfits.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

When you buy a product you are only entitled to that product being fit for purpose as sold at the point of sale. Nothing else.

If "zombie" mode wasn't part of the package at the time of purchase there is no reasonable expectation it would be included with the game. DLC didn't go too far, you just bought something without the feature you wanted and now do not want to pay for it.

That is your problem.

What would you prefer though? Companies are still going to want to make profit, so if the DLC is baked in to the original release the base price will be higher to reflect that, or they could just boost the price of the original release to make up for the lack of cash made from optional extras.

CoD has become one big pile of crap after CoD4.

Unfortunately many other games have begun doing this same shit...