10+ Year Old Account

is civilization 5 really this hard ?

hey all, i was wondering if any of you guys out there beaten a huge map on higher than prince difficulty ? i tried many times with various civs ( closest to win was morocco btw ) but could not succeed yet. i am not a game expert but i am definately not a newbie either.

share your experiences please. thanks in advance.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

It's not really hard. The AI just cheats and you kinda need to know how to exploit tech routes
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Forget going for agression early on on any difficulty bigger 6. The AI is always the same, they just get ridiculous amounts of ressources on higher difficulty. But the AI is actually quite stupid, at lategame their starting bonus should be so marginal in relation that you should be able to beat them.

For a first easy win I advise to go cultural and pursue a culture or diplomatic win. Take a cultural/diplomatic civ like siam and just turtle with 4-5 cities. If you dont have one of the 2-3 aggressive civs as neighbour you should be able to easily avoid all wars by just minding your own business.

Focus economy and just go for diplomatic victory. You end up spending a lot of gold but it's still really easy. Make sure you build enough of a military to be able to defend yourself(just need to spam ranged units and a few strong melee ones to guard the tiles around your cities). However once you have a ton of city state allies they'll flood you with more military units then you'll know what to do with AND they'll declare war on anyone who declares war on you. I end up with like 3-4 city states surrounding my borders protecting me.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the replies guys.

finally beat the game with morocco, easiest of the civs i tried so far. followed the science path and culture was a close second ( influenced 7 of 10 in the end ) and built the spaceship. i had 2 militaristic city states closeby so i almost didnt produce any military units until battleships. it was really easy, so easy i almost thought it wasnt on dif 4. anyways, now i can try another game hehe.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntermyth View Post
    hey all, i was wondering if any of you guys out there beaten a huge map on higher than prince difficulty ? i tried many times with various civs ( closest to win was morocco btw ) but could not succeed yet. i am not a game expert but i am definately not a newbie either.

share your experiences please. thanks in advance.
    Yea its easy to beat on the highest difficulty. The only problem is that the AI cheats and too obviously too so its not fun. They bump out too many explorers and get most of the ruins at first then cheat like crazy.. so every time I end up restrating like 50 times after the first 5 or so turns to get a good start, then win without any problems. The faith based civs and arabs are really good. But I usually play as Egyptians cause of the wonder building boost. I just have to get every good wonder cause once you get them stacked in the capital you become unstoppable.