Non-Gaming Laptop Help

I'm looking for a laptop strictly for work. It won't be used for gaming of any sorts. All it'll be used for is writing documents, and casual browsing of the internet. I've come here looking for a reasonably priced one, where I won't be paying for stuff that won't be used. I'm not looking for one that's bottom-of-the-line basic slow and sluggish. Still has to feel like a new computer, fast.

• Doesn't matter if it's 15" or 17".
    • Must be Windows

Thanks for the help!

One Q: if all you're doing is writing documents and basic internet browsing..

why does it have to be Windows? Just curious, as for what you're talking about, the new Asus 15" Chromebook just came out, is affordable and speedy and will do everything you need it to.

My understanding is Chromebook's are basically just a laptop that runs the Chrome browser and other Apps. Just an Android phone in laptop form. Apologizes if that's incorrect.

The laptop isn't for me either, it's for my mother. She's always used Windows, so continuing along the path that works for her is what I think is best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any particular budget?

I'm not sure what her budget is, but if you could list a few in different price ranges, that'd be great.

Quote Originally Posted by T87 View Post
    My understanding is Chromebook's are basically just a laptop that runs the Chrome browser and other Apps.
    This is largely correct; the OS is basically a browser; that doesn't really limit it, however. Think of how much of your computing time is already spent in the browser. It has access to anything on the web and a large suite (and growing) of offline capable apps; including Google Drive (Text, Spreadsheet, presentation documents) - and Google Drive docs can be saved as compatible Microsoft formats.

Just an Android phone in laptop form. Apologizes if that's incorrect.
    No; ChromeOS and Android are entirely different.

The laptop isn't for me either, it's for my mother. She's always used Windows, so continuing along the path that works for her is what I think is best.
    Speaking from experience, ChromeOS is less of a shock to the system than trying to go from WIndows 7 to Windows 8.

Im not trying to oversell on Chrome, though, particularly if its for someone who isnt as computer savvy and couldn't figure out the differences easily/quickly. For the average user, though, ChromeOS is perfectly usable. Most people spend something like 90% of their time on the computer in a browser anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    This is largely correct; the OS is basically a browser; that doesn't really limit it, however. Think of how much of your computing time is already spent in the browser. It has access to anything on the web and a large suite (and growing) of offline capable apps; including Google Drive (Text, Spreadsheet, presentation documents) - and Google Drive docs can be saved as compatible Microsoft formats.
    Hell, half of Windows is IE at this point isn't it?