Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Humans are apes... plus, there are only a few thousand gorillas left on Earth (Ebola killed 90% of them in the wild).
    the point is, why create a replacement for ourselves? why even risk that?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans are apes... plus, there are only a few thousand gorillas left on Earth (Ebola killed 90% of them in the wild).
    Thats exactly why, we don't need any more!!!! try cats oh wait I forgot I kicked a few too many as a child they will remember me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Thats exactly why, we don't need any more!!!! try cats oh wait I forgot I kicked a few too many as a child they will remember me.
    Yes we do, gorillas will likely go extinct in the next decades..

Idk cats have already conquered humanity for the most part, I feel they would defend us from any other animal that tried to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    the point is, why create a replacement for ourselves? why even risk that?
    Why are we automatically creating a replacement for ourselves? My concept would be to give the their own large amount of land to govern themselves as they please and it to be optional to accept American/European/Human culture. Just let the dolphins do whatever the hell they want though.

Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    Idk cats have already conquered humanity for the most part, I feel they would defend us from any other animal that tried to take over.
    Cats can go feral in the space of a week or two, if you happen to go on an extended vacation. I suspect a cat's response to a non-humanoid animal takeover would be to collectively flip us the bird.

Read this, maybe it'll give a better explanation.

http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2014/0...-sapience.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Cats can go feral in the space of a week or two, if you happen to go on an extended vacation. I suspect a cat's response to a non-humanoid animal takeover would be to collectively flip us the bird.
    What if the animals have cats themselves?

Deleted
    Limited resources + habitats = recipe for disaster. We don't like to share, most animals don't like to share. Hell you mention chimps. Who engage in outright war already, murder rape and eat babies (mostly chimp babies). Why would they behave any different if they suddenly have a higher intelligence? If anything that just makes them more capable and dangerous.

Why are we automatically creating a replacement for ourselves? My concept would be to give the their own large amount of land to govern themselves as they please and it to be optional to accept American/European/Human culture. Just let the dolphins do whatever the hell they want though.
    What would be the purpose of deliberately increasing the intelligence level of animals? Why would we choose to do this? Being more intelligent doesn't necessarily mean a species is better adapted to its environment, or would automatically be more interesting or useful to humanity. If anything it could be a burden because we could no longer use them to plow our fields or mind the sheep without them grumbling about wages and paid time off.

Deleted
    And whom would you take said land and resources from and how would you justify it? How could you ensure that they don't eventually need more land and resources because of population growth or prevent animosity with their neighbours and what exactly would we gain from this?

Hell you'd also like to reintroduce large predators into heavily populated Western/Middle Europe. Btw there's already problems with some wolves who have migrated there to the extend that even the nature conservationist are divided upon whether to leave them, resettle them or outright hunt them down.
    They're rapidly turning into a danger, losing their fear of humans as they're not being hunted, completely forfeiting hunting wild animals for food instead opting to go for easier to access domestic animals (including surplus killing) and engaging in pre predation towards humans testing them for prey.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want to give the cows man like intelligence until we make hamburger that isn't from a cow somehow.

Maybe pandas, then we can introduce to them the hedonism of man and they'll start fornicating but the rest of the animals..? No way.

Deleted
    Uplifting animals ? This is what would happen.

Seriously though, considering some of our own species treat others with different skin colour like animals, do you think that a dog which is as intelligent as a human would be treated any better by the same type of people, of course not. There are those amongst us that can't even accept that talking to a different mystical sky being other than the one that they say we should is cause enough for them to attack other people of their own species. How do you think they would react to a talking dog, that prays to the God of bones and the coming of the time they call "Walkies", and how would you expect these sentient animals to react to being attacked. Go off and hide, or react as they would in the wild and defend themselves ?

we as a species need to get our own shit together and sort our own problems out first, before elevating other species to our level of intelligence.

This is the only thing that comes to mind:

10+ Year Old Account
    We can't even stop fighting each other.. Of course we'd start a war with other intelligent life, especially if we have to share land with them. Although, hell maybe that would finally unite us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcon View Post
    We can't even stop fighting each other.. Of course we'd start a war with other intelligent life, especially if we have to share land with them. Although, hell maybe that would finally unite us.
    Yes, but time would be some time before any large population of uplifted animals could be produced both genetic engineering and reproduction. I mean most apes have a gestation period around 8-9 months and a lifespan of 60 years. Dolphins aren't much different. In fact I think it might be possible for uplifted animals to unite us even more.

Deleted
    Depends on how we treat them. If we treat them like stupid slaves with no rights, then YES, and even as a human I would support their uprising and many other humans would too. It would be more of a civil war among humanity rather than an uprising of the semi-human.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Uplifting animals ? This is what would happen.

Seriously though, considering some of our own species treat others with different skin colour like animals, do you think that a dog which is as intelligent as a human would be treated any better by the same type of people, of course not. There are those amongst us that can't even accept that talking to a different mystical sky being other than the one that they say we should is cause enough for them to attack other people of their own species. How do you think they would react to a talking dog, that prays to the God of bones and the coming of the time they call "Walkies", and how would you expect these sentient animals to react to being attacked. Go off and hide, or react as they would in the wild and defend themselves ?

we as a species need to get our own shit together and sort our own problems out first, before elevating other species to our level of intelligence.
    I can agree, as long as people seek to claim dominion over all other life and brush even the most intelligent non-humans as mere mindless robots, we can never truly live in harmony with communities of talking gorillas or pods of advanced dolphins. There are some areas which they could live in 'harmony' with man, but we'd have to find a way to willingly keep them there until other countries change ideology.

We are already suppressing all the domestic animals for our own good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Dolphins, while also empathetic, can be kindof vicious, as they like to play with their food before eating it...
    humans play with their food as well, just because dolphins eat their food living fresh means they shouldn't be able to play with it also....makes it vicious somehow?

i think dolphins would be the way to go, no thumbs, worst comes to worst and a war starts we take up harpooning while they can't fight back. (the only tools they'd have are ones we built for them)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Erristrasza View Post
    Depends on how we treat them. If we treat them like stupid slaves with no rights, then YES, and even as a human I would support their uprising and many other humans would too. It would be more of a civil war among humanity rather than an uprising of the semi-human.
    Yeah, I can agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    humans play with their food as well, just because dolphins eat their food living fresh means they shouldn't be able to play with it also....makes it vicious somehow?

i think dolphins would be the way to go, no thumbs, worst comes to worst and a war starts we take up harpooning while they can't fight back. (the only tools they'd have are ones we built for them)
    Plus no conflict over land, so they can have as many countries and territories as they please (at least until we uplift another animal like sea lions).