Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

The next big mmorpg?

What is the next big mmorpg? Are there any that are in development? Something like wow where there is pve and pvp. Wow is an amazing game...but i feel like there are people like me who are ready for a game like wow but different graphics.

And not talking about past games like GW2. Looking to see if there are any upcoming ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard and seen a lot about Everquest: Next recently.
    If the classes play nicely and the PvE content is entertaining I might give that a shot when it comes out

Deleted
    It won't probably get big but there's a new MMO which is getting into its second CBT next week, called Skyforge. It looks decent, it has some pros and cons but it might be ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved this to the Video Game forum since it's pretty explicitly not about World of Warcraft.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

WoW 10 years from now.

But a serious answer: Not too many MMOs, let alone MMORPGs, that are coming out at least soonish. Holymorph mentions Skyforge and Uriel says EQ:N but unless you look at the non-AAA MMOs not too much to look at.

Its gonna be FFXIV, WoW, and GW2 and thats it pretty much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holymorph View Post
    It won't probably get big but there's a new MMO which is getting into its second CBT next week, called Skyforge. It looks decent, it has some pros and cons but it might be ok.
    Just came in to say that I automatically read CBT as Cock and Ball Torture, had to think for a minute to realize it was closed beta test.

Proceed.

10+ Year Old Account
    A month ago I would have said EQN, but thats looking bad now. Honestly nothing coming up looks like its going to be the next big thing. The last thing that had potential was Elder Scrolls online, and that was recently forced to go B2P. Id say nothing. WoWs going to be the 'mmo' for at least 2-3 more years if not 5-10.

10+ Year Old Account
    EQ:N seems unlikely to be what it was once thought to be if it even happens at all. As far as I know there really aren't any major AAA type MMORPG's coming up. ESO/Wildstar probably put a damper on that since both didn't really set the gaming world on fire. The impending demise of EQ:N is a very big loss.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Holymorph View Post
    I am looking forward to Skyforge, but I doubt it will go anywhere. Also looking forward to the xpack for FFXIV, but other than that not really any new big MMORPG that looks good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    EQ:N seems unlikely to be what it was once thought to be if it even happens at all. As far as I know there really aren't any major AAA type MMORPG's coming up. ESO/Wildstar probably put a damper on that since both didn't really set the gaming world on fire. The impending demise of EQ:N is a very big loss.
    Yes it is. Story bricks had the potential to revolutionize the mmo genre, and usher in the 3rd(or 4th depending on who you talk to) generation of mmos. I hope someone takes those ideas and runs with them.

- - - Updated - - -

MMos have been declining in popularity in the past 5 years. Most mmos are losing subs including WoW, and a lot of big mmos either flopped or were canceled.(Titan, potentially EQN). We need something new to refresh the genre or its going to shrink back into obscurity like it was before WoW.

None, it's a stale genre that is completely dominated by a game that has 10 years of development behind it... World of Warcraft. MMO's cost too much money and take too much time to make, at least if you want to compete with WoW.. I can't see there being any big MMO games in the near future.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Skyforge looks interesting, but unfortunately my cynicism due to the last couple of years of watching MMO's rise and fall, leads me to believe it isn't going to do too well.

As for the future, again, cynicism, not many MMO's considering the success of WoW and it's utter domination of the genre. WoW may be in a sort of.. 'dead' state right now in terms of content, however it's still leading the charge.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to take a risk trying to make an MMO with WoW on the scene =/.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crowfall has my attention, but I am likely done with MMOs at least for now. The current state of WoW has pretty much ruined the genre for me. I see this genre pretty much dying off within the next 10 years, if not coming something completely different that conveniences the whining masses who don't realize they belong playing single player games.

Quote Originally Posted by baddog66 View Post
    MMO's will not be as big as in the past.
    Truth. When MMOs blew up it was the right audience wanting the right play-style at the right time. That's not to say that there won't be good MMOs to come out (there will be) but the constant clamoring for the "next big MMO" does more harm than good to the genre; no game will ever live up to the hype it drums up, save a few exceptions (which are virtually never MMOs).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Skyforge looks interesting, but unfortunately my cynicism due to the last couple of years of watching MMO's rise and fall, leads me to believe it isn't going to do too well.
    I think you are right, but still, if we think about it, what do we consider a success? There are a few games which (if i'm not mistaken) are holding themselves pretty well. For example, Tera and Rift, although having had to go f2p, are pulling decent numbers and are pretty decent MMO's.

I'm really looking forward Skyforge, although I don't think I'm getting the Founder Pack to get into its CBTs, I'll probably just wait untill Open Beta, which shouldn't take too long. We'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having 400k+ subs for a sub based mmo and keeping them for more than a year is a success.

Recent successes include Swtor,GW2, to a point Rift. I think Elder scrolls is going to be a success now that its going btp.

Currently nothing. It's just re-enforcing the current strong titles. Currently there is the big 3. GW2, WoW and FF14. WoW is well WoW, FF14 is stellar in fundamentals and GW2 is the mold breaker niche.

Currently there is noting to look forward to MMO wise. TESO is doing better but it's new business model is a double edge sword. Yea it's B2P with DLC but down the line like 2 more years that's ALOT of DLC to catch up on and expensive. It's why TSW for example doesn't really grow because people look at the 6 DLC for $10 each and just don't want to do it.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

A massive MMORPG in the world of Ice & Fire could be a replacement for WoW's throne, if done right. But it absolutely has to be done right.

The single most popular television show of all time and the most downloaded TV show of all time has a massive following.

A major issue is that MMOs are put under scrutiny these days. They are criticized and compared to "finished" MMOs quite often.
    That leads to quite a high disappointment factor.

On top of that an MMO is a massive undertaking. Many developers/publishers simply don't wish to burn their hands on it anymore. Too much risk/reward.

I mean think about it. If Vanilla WoW would launch with how we view MMOs these days; it would be burned down to the ground. Lack of end game content, lack of balance, riddled with bugs.
    Seriously, WoW wasn't all that good when it started; but it was given the time to mature, unlike most MMOs today.

---------

I personally really like GW2. I really hoped that would be the next big thing (it's good, but it's not THE MMO that most hoped it to be).
    For me personally it lacked dept and customization (plus I prefer the holy trinity over the GW2 jack of all trades model).

Which is a real shame since GW1 had all that and more. If they could have made GW2 building forth on GW1, I think it would have been an awesome game.
    I might go back at GW2 at some point, but I've been quite unlucky in finding a solid community.