Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    That poll is fucking retarded! I have 0 lvl 100.

I think the MMO genre as a whole needs renewal. At the moment, we have the WoW monolith dominating the market but people is startignt o get tired of it, and moving onto different products.

As many other said, we don't need another generic sized WoW product, but better new stuff that enhance the genre, even if they don't manage to get a millions of players community. The genre itself is very popular now, that everyone and their grandma adds online/rpg features to their games.

We have some of them running well, with nice ideas. Only disappointment is EQ:next and landmark, which will likley see the light but be the shadows of what they could have been.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW was blessed with a perfect storm which snowballed it project that you feed through brute force (money). I hope we never see another WoW, TBH. The market is better where there are several solid choices to choose from rather than one giant. Diversity is good. Right now there's a good mix of MMOs to choose from, like them or not (WoW, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, Archeage, Eve, FF14, Tera, TSW, TESO, Wildstar, maybe I missed a few). All of those games have solid player bases and are in active development.

We dont need one huge MMO to rule them all. Its bad for everyone involved in the long run but the people making money off the game. One of the biggest criticisms against the genre was that (up until about 2-3 years ago) WoW was the only thing to really play, other games fell flat on their face and didn't really recuperate until they went F2P.

Also lets allow the terms "WoW clone" and "WoW killer" to fade out of existence, forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    So recently I started playing this rather well known MMO. It's not really a big MMO but it certainly feels so. I have also found that, sadly, people just don't think it's worth it or they think it's too hard to get into. And it's true, it has an extremely high learning curve compared to every other MMO. But I also think that it's a game with much potential, a player base who's good and helpful, devs that care about their game and just generally quite a captivating experience although sometimes tedious.

The MMO in question is EvE Online. It is a pay to play game in which you don't really have to pay for game time since you can use in-game currency to pay for game time.
    I believe the game is absolutely great and captivating. I strongly suggest people try the 21 day free trial and actually give it a chance.

Edit: It is a game in which you get battles such as this.
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    So recently I started playing this rather well known MMO. It's not really a big MMO but it certainly feels so. I have also found that, sadly, people just don't think it's worth it or they think it's too hard to get into. And it's true, it has an extremely high learning curve compared to every other MMO. But I also think that it's a game with much potential, a player base who's good and helpful, devs that care about their game and just generally quite a captivating experience although sometimes tedious.

The MMO in question is EvE Online. It is a pay to play game in which you don't really have to pay for game time since you can use in-game currency to pay for game time.
    I believe the game is absolutely great and captivating. I strongly suggest people try the 21 day free trial and actually give it a chance.

Edit: It is a game in which you get battles such as this.
    Well, Eve is old and has it's fans. In terms of mmo it's one of the best designs in terms of complexity and how players affect the server. However, unless you are a space fan... I know because my bf is and love that game, it's not that appealing being in a space ship all the time and perhaps usually what most mmo players don't feel like because they want to be somewhat commited to their char. Also combat itself is not very exciting, at least I personally believe so. Star Citizen is suppose to be Eve but more action oriented and also have ground combat which eve should have implemented instead of making that game that only works on one console (and failed quite hard with it). However star citizen want to do so much, and if they are to implement it all game will take ages to develop, most of us will have forgotten about it. So if they want to launch it anytime close to a future, it most likely will be a watered down version.
    Since the design behind EvE, except that you are stuck in a space ship, is so very good I was actually looking forward to the vampire mmo they were planning to make. However, they eventually decided not to do it which is a real shame because I looked at it's character creation and it was great.
    So EvE in all honour, but without the space ships or at least added ground combat then it would have been great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Wildstar is gaining players

- - - Updated - - -

MMos are more popular now then ever...Its just there is to many of them to notice how massive the genres playerbase is.
    Where did you hear that? All ive heard about that game is doom and gloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Where did you hear that? All ive heard about that game is doom and gloom.
    Same....unless my region and my circle of friends aren't included in that niche market but i dont know ANYONE personally i know in real life that plays wild star. Personally I didn't even like the graphics to begin with to even try it.

Black Dessert? Graphics look amazing. But I have no idea how the game play is for I've have only seen trailers on youtube. And PvP is very important to me...

I don't think there will be a "next big MMO." There are a few in development that will make a decent splash if they deliver on their vision (or if they get released...) like Everquest Next, Crowfall, Skyforge and Camelot Unchained but I don't think anything will be "big" just another name to add to the dozens out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's hard to compare a sub-based MMO to a F2P or semi-F2P MMO in terms of player base really. All the sub based MMOs are dwarfed by WoW, so if this thread means "next big MMO" in the sense of WoW-size... well that I don't see happening. Not with a sub.
    This is incorrect. WoW is sitting at 7 million and something, and FFXIV has topped 4 million by the end of 2014 (not counting free trials and free month with purchase) after it released in China, and FFXIV still hasn't released in as many countries as WoW has. I wouldn't call that dwarfed. Dwarfed doesn't mean one is bigger than the other; it means one is bigger than the other by a lot, like enough to be insignificant.
    Last edited by Starlightz85; 2015-05-14 at 08:37 AM.

Deleted
    The future of MMOs.

Well, i think the genre needs to specialize. Means singleplayer games that integrate MMO elements. Which arent strictly based on organized groups. Grouping up for longer is one of the highest brickwalls for the tradtional MMORPG.

I think the future lies in easy grouping. Changing group content. Matchmaking. And not in raiding guilds and people who stick to them for any longer than mastering the content. That already always was niche gameplay, and is more a burden than a fun part for many players. Nowadays, people want to login and play content. And not make schedules and commit more than a already busy real life could allow.

Game companies should stop to try to copy world of warcraft. They should create own game concepts, and add group play to it. They shouldnt copy the old and used raiding-dungeons-questing-battleground concept, but build own concepts.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2015-05-14 at 07:33 AM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    GW2 HoT, and probably Tree of Savior (for me atleast!)

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlightz85 View Post
    This is incorrect. WoW is sitting at 7 million and something, and FFXIV has topped 4 million by the end of 2014 (not counting free trials and free month with purchase) after it released in China, and FFXIV still hasn't released in as many countries as WoW has. I wouldn't call that dwarfed. Dwarfed doesn't mean one is bigger than the other; it means one is bigger than the other by a lot, like enough to be insignificant.
    Source for that? I love FF14, and I'm currently subbed to it, but without a source I don't buy for a second that it has 4 million subs.

I don't think Everquest Next is going to happen, SOE disbanded. The new game is called Landmark or something, Landmark look like a Construction/exploration type game similar to Minecraft.

I hadn't heard of Crowfall, Checking it out looks fun.
    Last edited by Seani; 2015-05-14 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Source for that? I love FF14, and I'm currently subbed to it, but without a source I don't buy for a second that it has 4 million subs.
    It was widespread news when it happened. How'd you miss that? It had topped this number by the end of 2014. Just google "final fantasy XIV 4 million subscribers or 4 million users. SE has said the number does not include free trials or free months, and is active members. The increase from over 2.5 million to 4 million happened after the game released in China.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was widespread news when it happened. How'd you miss that? It had topped this number by the end of 2014. Just google "final fantasy XIV 4 million subscribers or 4 million users. SE has said the number does not include free trials or free months, and is active members. The increase from over 2.5 million to 4 million happened after the game released in China.
    Hmm, all I can find is the game reaching 4 million registered accounts at the end of February, not necessarily active ones (but not including trial accounts).

I think the future lies in easy grouping. Changing group content. Matchmaking. And not in raiding guilds and people who stick to them for any longer than mastering the content. That already always was niche gameplay, and is more a burden than a fun part for many players. Nowadays, people want to login and play content. And not make schedules and commit more than a already busy real life could allow.
    No...WoW was in its prime when organized raiding was more popular. It's more of a burden to WoW's playerbase because WoW's playerbase has gotten so old. Easy matchmaking and mindless gameplay isn't a recipe for success.

Deleted
    can't see any next big MMO comming out soon

maybe in another 10-20 years

10+ Year Old Account
    It was widespread news when it happened. How'd you miss that? It had topped this number by the end of 2014.
    You misread the news.

They hit 4 million -accounts-. Not subscribers. If you wanted to roll it that way, then WoW probably has like 50 million accounts, not including bots.

Last I heard (Jan 2015), FFXIV was under 1m subs, not including china (as they do not have a sub there, so hard to say)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I had been thinking EQN would be the next MMO to consider, but now it's future seems rocky. As it currently stands, I dunno if we will see much action in the MMO genre going forward. I think a lot of companies will shy away from the genre since no one is going to make a game that will result in them rolling in cash the way Blizz has with WoW. Hopefully, the next wave of MMOs will be something that attempts to break molds instead of ye' ol' WoW Clone #14897649257. Friends and I thought Archeage may have been on the right track with the whole sandbox approach, but the implementation of that game and how there's a divide between it's people here in the US (Trion) and the Korean overminds (XL Games) have pretty much doomed that game to begin with.

All the MMOs that came out in the past 5 years had been in the works for about 6-9 years.

Meaning, they secured a lot of their funding back when WoW was doing amazingballs.

Now that investors have seen MMO after MMO fail to be a breakthrough success?

They are probably betting their money on the mobile market.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -