Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drsolders View Post
    Gerrymandering exist, and it WILL backfire that I can promise you.
    Removing stupid people and replacing them with marginally smarter ones is not gerrymandering. Not.. remotely.

(though I don't disagree it doesn't have potential for backfiring. The devil you know vs the devil you don't, I suppose)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    The largest immediate threats you have is your own bought out politicians.
    Will global warming harm us in the next couple months or two years during the next two hurricane seasons? If not, then it gets prepared for less than hurricane shelters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Removing stupid people and replacing them with marginally smarter ones is not gerrymandering. Not.. remotely.
    No but when your vote counts a lot less than the climate deniers it sure as hell does. When we are punished for politicians who got into office through gerrymandering then we sure as hell are getting punished for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

Will global warming harm us in the next couple months or two years during the next two hurricane seasons? If not, then it gets prepared for less than hurricane shelters.
    Climate change has already affected negatively all sort of natural occurences and made them worse. Two are intertwined and you can't pick and choose.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

a mile away from me is my states most used industrial road accounting for the majority of my states traveled goods, it was built in the 50's and has had nothing but halfassed repairs ever since, wheres our infrastructure and why the hell do we pay taxes at all whatsoever? To invade iraq? my taxes are being used to invade a useless country on the other side of the planet when we could drill oil a trillion times cheaper right here?

our government gives more disaster assistance to people who don't pay taxes than they do to the ones who do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Climate change has already affected negatively all sort of natural occurences and made them worse. Two are intertwined and you can't pick and choose.
    Yes I understand it has made it worse, but a sea wall will not help us more than shelters. It should still be built but building it instead of shelters is quite frankly retarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    a mile away from me is my states most used industrial road accounting for the majority of my states traveled goods, it was built in the 50's and has had nothing but halfassed repairs ever since, wheres our infrastructure and why the hell do we pay taxes at all whatsoever? To invade iraq? my taxes are being used to invade a useless country on the other side of the planet when we could drill oil a trillion times cheaper right here?

our government gives more disaster assistance to people who don't pay taxes than they do to the ones who do.
    My state also has some of the worst infrastructure in the country because 80% of our roads are considered rural and rural roads get less funding.
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

Yes I understand it has made it worse, but a sea wall will not help us more than shelters. It should still be built but building it instead of shelters is quite frankly retarded.

- - - Updated - - -

My state also has some of the worst infrastructure in the country because 80% of our roads are considered rural and rural roads get less funding.
    Shelters for what? Hurricanes? The overwhelming majority of people choose to stay in their homes. How is that a better option than a seawall?

10+ Year Old Account
    No but when your vote counts a lot less than the climate deniers it sure as hell does. When we are punished for politicians who got into office through gerrymandering then we sure as hell are getting punished for that.
    Well, yes. I read your previous post as what they were doing was gerrymandering.

Gerrymandering isn't the problem, though (though it IS a problem). People need to stop voting for idiots. Gerrymandering mucks with voting areas but SOMEONE in those areas voted for them. Stop voting for idiots, and remove the ones you find and replace them with non-idiots.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Shelters for what? Hurricanes? The overwhelming majority of people choose to stay in their homes. How is that a better option than a seawall?
    Overwhelming majority? Have you ever even lived in a hurricane area? Very few stay here if it's anything more than a category two.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, yes. I read your previous post as what they were doing was gerrymandering.

Gerrymandering isn't the problem, though (though it IS a problem). People need to stop voting for idiots. Gerrymandering mucks with voting areas but SOMEONE in those areas voted for them. Stop voting for idiots, and remove the ones you find and replace them with non-idiots.
    Well I can't control those idiots, I didn't vote for them. Why should I be punished for what others did?

15+ Year Old Account
    Wasn´t the kathrina disaster because of broken dams?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Wasn´t the kathrina disaster because of broken dams?
    Partially, but it wasn't the only issue. They were also extremely low in elevation. It made it worse yes, but the super dome saved thousands of lives by giving them somewhere to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I can't control those idiots, I didn't vote for them. Why should I be punished for what others did?
    Again, I don't think its very fair but sometimes wonky tactics might be needed to make a change for everyone else.

If we can't get politicians to change, then punish the people who vote them in and THEY will make the change. If this goes through, you can be sure as hell people will make sure the person that goes in that spot, gerrymandering or not, is less of an idiot than the current guy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again, I don't think its very fair but sometimes wonky tactics might be needed to make a change for everyone else.

If we can't get politicians to change, then punish the people who vote them in and THEY will make the change. If this goes through, you can be sure as hell people will make sure the person that goes in that spot, gerrymandering or not, is less of an idiot than the current guy.
    Yes, but it runs an extreme risk of the blame being diverted to the Federal Government and Obama and then we get worse ones in. There are other ways to go about it than this.

Then we can withhold our own taxes and redirect it to the state right? I understand they want it used in a certain way, which is important but we have immediate threats that need attention as well.
    You don't want to go down the itemizing federal taxes road, you'll find out it's the red states that take way, way more than they give, for shit people in other states really don't want to pay for.

I would love to see a republican say something along the lines of "If you use your money to fund abortion we will cut social services to your state." Would it suddenly be because we told you to use the money in a certain way and you wouldn't we can just cut it?

Another example would be if they told Oklahoma if you won't build solar panels we will cut all funding for tornado shelters and tornado sirens and we will cut subsidies to homeowners insurance that covers wind.
    It's not, though.

It's telling the government in Oklahoma "If you don't believe in tornadoes, and aren't going to spend the money we give you to prepare for tornadoes on tornado preparedness, we're not going to give you that money."

Do they have to deny anthropogenic climate change or climate change in general? The latter is so derpy that I couldn't imagine it being an issue at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but it runs an extreme risk of the blame being diverted to the Federal Government and Obama and then we get worse ones in. There are other ways to go about it than this.
    Yeah, it's definitely a weird way of going about things. It seems more like posing and threats than actual call to action. There are certainly other ways to go about it.

I... sort of appreciate that they're going about things a different way, but at the same time... If they actually follow through, I agree its not very fair.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    You don't want to go down the itemizing federal taxes road, you'll find out it's the red states that take way, way more than they give, for shit people in other states really don't want to pay for.

It's not, though.

It's telling the government in Oklahoma "If you don't believe in tornadoes, and aren't going to spend the money we give you to prepare for tornadoes on tornado preparedness, we're not going to give you that money."
    Except no one ever said we don't believe in Hurricanes, the leadership is we don't believe in climate change. While climate change makes them worse, it didn't create them. So no, you are wrong.

If someone said they didn't exist you would have a point, but not a single leader said hurricanes don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Do they have to deny anthropogenic climate change or climate change in general? The latter is so derpy that I couldn't imagine it being an issue at all.
    It's not about the act of denying the climate change, it's about not spending the money given to them for climate change preparedness on preparing for climate change related issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading comprehension, AFTER doesn't do shit but help those that lived through it.
    FEMA's point (which seems a valid one to me) is that in states where the government refuses to admit that sea levels have risen and are still rising, or that more intense storms are more likely, are going to waste the hazard-mitigation money anyway (because they deny that the hazard even exists), so why give it to them in the first place?

You're right in that this will likely politically backfire - Republicans (particularly in the affected states) will blame Obama (and the Democrats in general) for any natural disaster damage that occurs in their states. (Then again, they'd do that anyway - even if Obama printed piles of cash for them to use as seawalls.)

Still... climate denial needs to be publicly exposed as the dangerous nutjobbery it is, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pleased to see that being done. (People also need to either move the hell out of disaster-prone areas, or upgrade their infrastructure for the inevitable extreme but rare events - rebuilding ever 20 or 50 years is fucking stupid.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Except no one ever said we don't believe in Hurricanes, the leadership is we don't believe in climate change. While climate change makes them worse, it didn't create them. So no, you are wrong.
    They're not saying they won't give money for hurricane relief.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    They're not saying they won't give money for hurricane relief.
    Yes, but they will only give it AFTER it happens, which does nothing but help survivors.