Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

So ... are freezes still "broken"?

The last time I played Icicles and Waterbolt ensured they last less than a second.

Edit: Really? No one can tell me? I just want to know if I can root targets and have the root hold without instant breaking like before we got icicles.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2015-03-23 at 11:26 PM.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    The last time I played Icicles and Waterbolt ensured they last less than a second.
    Are you only referring to Deep Freeze pre-patch where any amount of damage broke it? If not, there's no way Icicles or WB is breaking your freezes. The only issue I've experienced (excluding pre-patch Deep Freeze) is when I play with other players...
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Are you only referring to Deep Freeze pre-patch where any amount of damage broke it? If not, there's no way Icicles or WB is breaking your freezes. The only issue I've experienced (excluding pre-patch Deep Freeze) is when I play with other players...
    The last I played ... near the start of WoD. Icicles and Waterbolt would prematurely break freezes making it impossible to shatter combo.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

The last I played ... near the start of WoD. Icicles and Waterbolt would prematurely break freezes making it impossible to shatter combo.
    Well I personally haven't noticed anything (aside from Deep Freeze being super nerfed and now just decently nerfed). I mean yeah, they'll eventually break freezes, but if I'm setting up a shatter, I'll typically do it within the next global anyways.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    You can make your pet not attack when you pet freeze.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Well I personally haven't noticed anything (aside from Deep Freeze being super nerfed and now just decently nerfed). I mean yeah, they'll eventually break freezes, but if I'm setting up a shatter, I'll typically do it within the next global anyways.
    e.g.

I have max icicles.
    I cast Ice Lance on a mob.
    I cast Frost Nova to avoid having my face re-arranged.

Question: Will Frost Nova hold or will Icicles instant break it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OzCymru View Post
    You can make your pet not attack when you pet freeze.
    Ya, I know how to do that but it's flaky - if Waterbolt is already in flight ...

There is still the issue of Icicles.

e.g.

I have max icicles.
    I cast Ice Lance on a mob.
    I cast Frost Nova to avoid having my face re-arranged.

Question: Will Frost Nova hold or will Icicles instant break it?
    Instantly? Prolly not on the first icicle, but most likely on the 2nd. The damage threshold is pretty low.

If you are worried about your face being re-arranged by a mob, blink, invis, ice barrier,and ice block/evanesce are prolly better options than relying on the root from nova. (besides, Ice Nova ftw, if your root is only gonna last a few seconds, it may as well hit like a truck, and you dont need to be in melee range to use it)
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2015-03-24 at 04:26 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    Instantly? Prolly not on the first icicle, but most likely on the 2nd. The damage threshold is pretty low.

If you are worried about your face being re-arranged by a mob, blink, invis, ice barrier,and ice block/evanesce are prolly better options than relying on the root from nova. (besides, Ice Nova ftw, if your root is only gonna last a few seconds, it may as well hit like a truck, and you dont need to be in melee range to use it)
    Sometimes I also like to use freezes to buy myself some time for CDs to cycle.

God damn it Blizzard, why fix something that wasn't broken.

I only played early WoD, early as in bugs everywhere early, Frost Mage when from using CDs to setup attacks (and stay alive) to play whack-a-mole with procs - I'm pretty much reliant on FoF and BF for most of my damage and reliant on just bursting the mob to 0 with said procs before I kneel over.

I'm pretty much reliant on FoF and BF for most of my damage and reliant on just bursting the mob to 0 with said procs before I kneel over.
    Whats stopping you then? You don't need the mob to be frozen to survive. Learn to kite and start at max range, since most of your toolkit snares, mobs should rarely hit you. And honestly short of taking on multiple elite mobs...you should be able to face tank and kill things before you keel over. You have so many tools to avoid/evade/prevent damage...if you are dying just because you cant keep things rooted, you may have bigger l2p issues.

And if you really still want more rooting - why dont you just talent ice ward and use it on yourself before the pull. 3 aoe roots.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    Whats stopping you then? You don't need the mob to be frozen to survive. Learn to kite and start at max range, since most of your toolkit snares, mobs should rarely hit you. And honestly short of taking on multiple elite mobs...you should be able to face tank and kill things before you keel over. You have so many tools to avoid/evade/prevent damage...if you are dying just because you cant keep things rooted, you may have bigger l2p issues.

And if you really still want more rooting - why dont you just talent ice ward and use it on yourself before the pull. 3 aoe roots.
    Oh no, it works ... it's just boring.

Reduced to playing whack-a-mole is just beh. Carefully managing CDs and properly timed CC is much more engaging.

God damn it Blizzard, why fix something that wasn't broken.
    Fix?
    Didn't Frost Nova ALWAYS broke from a certain amount of damage?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    Fix?
    Didn't Frost Nova ALWAYS broke from a certain amount of damage?
    Yes, it does, but back then we didn't have "uncontrollable" damage in the form of Icicles - WE's Waterbolt can be worked around with flaky macros.

Icicles - when I tested this in Beta - did not break Deep Freeze, however Ice Lance broke it every time. They helped DF out a bit with 6.1 release.

As too Deep Freeze, pretty sure that always broke on any damage. When I use Pet Freeze or Frost Nova, it is always to step into a DF. If you are using to get distance, then FN and turn and blink/Blaze speed