Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    None. I find self mutilation to be a very strange and illogical method of coping. Illogical problems will very rarely pull at my sympathy strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Best friend when I was growing up did cutting on his forearms...We never really talked about it because I never knew what to say about his cutting. This was pre-internet days. He got thru this phase eventually but I never found out why he did this. I think I will ask him the next time I see him.
    I've done it.

For me, it was related to anxiety. From what I've been told, it's a common symptom of anxiety disorders (as mine was). Basically, it's an emotional 'pressure valve'- hence why it's so common with 'emos'.

Things would build up until an 'anxiety attack'- and well, you get the idea. Something that still surprises me today, looking back, is that at the time... it wouldn't hurt. Just... incredibly relaxed. All the anxiety gone instantly. And I'd be good for... a long while afterwards.

It's a 'coping mechanism' to stress, anxiety, strong emotions etc.

Of course, it also would leave me with scars that will remain with me for the rest of my life. For any here that have considered it before, it's not worth it, and it isn't healthy.

I suspect though that's why people that do it appear to be 'looking for attention'. It's recognizing that what you're doing is wrong, and being scared by it. Seeking help for something that you don't know how to stop.

If it was attention as 'Charmanderp' suggests above me, people (like myself) wouldn't end up trying to hide it after attention is received. It's a symptom of a number of mental disorders for a reason.

And even if it was 'for attention', if people are going so far to perform self-mutilation and leaving themselves with permanent scars for attention... you know, maybe, they actually need some attention.

Some people. Jesus...
    Last edited by SidFwuff; 2015-03-23 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Most methods of coping are illogical.
    Not really. Out of ALL the things they could do (sports, gaming, social, etc), they choose to cut themselves?

That's not something worth sympathy. That's something worth pity and revulsion.

Shit, even smoking a bowl or two is a better idea.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

10+ Year Old Account
    All of those things cause the same chemical reaction as cutting does, and sports can be even more dangerous.
    Enabler. Your kind disgusts me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cut myself for a bit when I was going through a really, really hard time. My mum was dying, my brother was going off the rails, my dad had left. Just a lot all at once for someone of my age to deal with. I kept it a secret, it was a shameful thing then, it's a shameful thing now. But I don't shy from discussing it if it helps someone out. I didn't want pity then, don't want it now and I certainly don't expect it. What I did was stupid and I regret it, it didn't make anything easier, I didn't feel better and I have a couple of scars. I understand that there are somethings that hurt so much that physical pain lessens the emotional hurt. But there are better options, I wish I had known about. Alright, off my soap box.

I cut myself when i was younger, you can get addicted to the adrenaline/endorphin rush. Eventually with help and support you can move past it though, just like with any addiction. My dad was always really supportive of me, always asked me how i was feeling and if i had been cutting, having someone who i knew i would make sad by cutting around to check on me certainly helped, at least in my case.
    If it isn't too personal, why did you start cutting yourself? I'm always curious what leads someone down that path to begin with.

like with hard drugs... you feel good but you want more !

Sympathy for people who cut themselves? Yes ofc everyone should but most People dont bother to understand it.

10+ Year Old Account
    From how I understand it, the cutting is means to turn your emotional pain into physical pain, making it more manageable. Cutting yourself also release endorphin, which calms you. Some cut to punish themselves.

I was very depressed (clinically depressed, not just some sadder moment in my life) for few years, I know how bad the emotional pain can get. You eat yourself hollow. It's worse than any physical pain I've endured so far. Personally, I never did any cutting myself but I was tempted. Thankfully, I'm recovering from it, but it takes time.

It's a mental illness. Hard not to feel sympathetic. It's not an excuse.
    Last edited by Santti; 2015-03-24 at 12:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    Enabler. Your kind disgusts me.
    oh yes because understanding the problem is totally enabling!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    oh yes because understanding the problem is totally enabling!
    Suggesting that cutting is a better alternative than sports or another healthy outlet is enabling, yes.

You're literally supporting self-destruction over self-preservation. E N A B L E R.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    It helped her to clear her mind and focus on something, she'd also scratch herself in patterns.
    Largely why I did it. Physical pain is more insistent than emotional pain or mental anxiety, a focus which also has a simple practical solution for you to get on with (bandages, antiseptic, etc). I was usually pretty badly depressed when I'd turn to it, so it was always a lesser of two evils situation, and it was definitely not something I did around people.

Whether it was an acceptable methodology to me because of latent masochism or is the root of my masochism, I still can't figure out...

I'm 31, and male, and I have had a problem with self harm since I was 14, diagnosed with major depressive disorder and borderline personality disorder at age 24 while serving in the military. Attention was never something I even considered when hurting myself. I never hurt or cut myself anywhere visible to others in public, always wore long sleeves and jeans. It is a coping mechanism that I unfortunately learned out of desperation, and even though I've gone years at times without acting on the impulses, I know that I am also addicted to it. My longest "clean" streak was from 2008 to 2014, and I was damn proud of myself. Over the last two years it's been on and off again. The worst part about falling back into it was the fact that it did exactly what I needed it to when I needed it.

I never learned proper ways of coping, I've been taught plenty since I was diagnosed, but I like many others have issues with continuing to get therapy and stay on medication. I'm not sure how to think about people who show the world their scars or cuts, maybe they are actually more mentally stable than those who hide them, because it could be an open cry for help, or maybe it is attention. I don't know and it's not my place to judge them. I wish some one had known what I was doing to myself when I started, maybe I would be better off than I am today, but who knows.

It is often a control thing, that pain they have control over. Sometimes it is just purely for attention. Of course there is always the mental side of things, people with different mental issues seem to lean towards this. Now it is somewhat of an internet craze with dumb teens, they bleed themselves to the point of passing out to see who can last the longest. We have the internet to blame for spreading the popularity of that last one. Anybody that cuts them self is troubled in one way or another though and it is often a big red flag of something worse lurking around the corner.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Suggesting that cutting is a better alternative than sports or another healthy outlet is enabling, yes.

You're literally supporting self-destruction over self-preservation. E N A B L E R.
    You've shown nothing but complete ignorance this entire thread. Calling depression and bipolar disorder excuses shows you have no clue what you're talking about.

Not really. Out of ALL the things they could do (sports, gaming, social, etc), they choose to cut themselves?

Yeah, your examples seem illogical to me. Sports leads to testosterone and competitiveness, gaming causes nerd rage and social? If you mean being social with your peer group, if your peer group can be the cause of the mental issues, well.... that'd just be illogical. Everyone reacts positively and negatively to different things. Your smoke a bowl suggestion? That will calm some people down. Some people it will amp up. Some people will have a full on psychotic episode. From ONE bowl.

Not asking for your sympathy, but if you're going to be ignorant of how the world (and other people's bodies) works for others, your pity and revulsion is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You've shown nothing but complete ignorance this entire thread. Calling depression and bipolar disorder excuses shows you have no clue what you're talking about.
    Keep thinking that, while you cut yourself because xXx_SephirothVamp03_xXx or whoever on AIM told you that they didn't "like you like that" anymore.

It's simple mental weakness.

Keep thinking that, while you cut yourself because xXx_SephirothVamp03_xXx or whoever on AIM told you that they didn't "like you like that" anymore.

when did I say I cut myself?

Cutting is a symptom of other issues. I have a lot of mental health issues i my life, sister, friends self all with some issues. Of course you should have sympathy them.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

That's not something worth sympathy. That's something worth pity and revulsion.

I cycle frequently, Play golf, and hang out with friends. I still suffer from depression. Not all coping is the same, and you cannot expect rational thought from an irrational person.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Shallow insight is a mental weakness. Belief in your shallow insight doubly so.
    Self harm is a very old issue, if you want to troll why not try the "rooted in religion and the castigating of the (often) female population"? Or "self harm is a skinflint's version of doing drugs" or "corporal punishment creates a perspective that self harm is a form of self governance"?

Or you could just carry on being shallow I guess.