Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Barn in the long term

As you all know, the barn building has been very good to us, but with savage blood prices dropping daily, at what point will you drop it?

In terms of long-term income, personally I plan on going TP+Inn for minimal time investment. All my characters still have about 3 weeks worth, but I might drop my barns then, assuming that bloods drop below 200g consistently by that point. Frees up another follower slot too which is nice. Also plan on going Mage Tower on every character to augment the Inn's treasure missions with my limited TH crews until I get more. Mission Completion Orders get used on those TH missions.

Really isn't a right or wrong answer here, just curious on when people can't be bothered to go farm up new cages. I'm really warming up to the Inn+TP for long-term gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keeping the Barn, period. Even if blood prices go down, still getting tons of fur, runes, sorcerous X.

Even at 200 a pop, that's still ~10,000g a week. 40k a month.

And 40k a month ought to pay for wow token
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Do you know off the top of your head what the average bloods per day is? I was estimating 4x bloods and 160 fur but it's likely I'm off by a bit [especially on the blood front]

10+ Year Old Account
    I might have an answer in a couple days. I have two characters with a barn, and I only unload it every 3rd day when my stuff caps out at 21 work orders. I usually get 15-20 between two characters, I -think-. I have 26 sitting my mail from last time but I don't know how many that's saved up.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I've been replacing a few of them on alts and replaced them with either Trading Post or the Inn (treasure hunter followers and treasure missions). Having two level 3 Barns is more than enough for me. I use one for leather for my only leatherworker and one for fur for my only tailor, both have the profession building. There's very little point in having those buildings on characters without the profession since they can only craft basic 640 gear and re-roll items.

Technically I could use one and still have mats to spare, I've still got enough stock for a few weeks from just a single week of work orders. But it's nice to be able to churn out both fur and cloth at the same time when I need it. Farming fur and leather manually is too time consuming and I'd rather use my excess garrison resources on follower re-rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Keeping the Barn, period. Even if blood prices go down, still getting tons of fur, runes, sorcerous X.

Even at 200 a pop, that's still ~10,000g a week. 40k a month.

And 40k a month ought to pay for wow token
    I've never seen sorcerous stuff from barn work orders and don't even know which runes you're talking about. Can you clarify?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    I've never seen sorcerous stuff from barn work orders and don't even know which runes you're talking about. Can you clarify?
    I'm not 100% sure sorcerous drops from barns. I just sort of assumed it does. I don't pay attention.

And the elemental runes/abrogator stones for raids.

You will earn about 1G/GR with a trading post, so even if we exaggerate and calculate with 5000GR/week vs. 4 blood/day à 200G the barn still is better, especially if you also consider you could sell leather/fur which is not included yet.
    So from the pure money making point, I don't see TP replacing barn would result in better profit (but it obviously has better profit per time invested).

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only that but GR = G with the barn as well with the completion things.

Barn is still good, but I replaced it because:

1) cba to go out and trap at all

2) the medium 2 slots are for TP (convert GR to any mat I need) and the Inn for extra gold missions/recruitement/dungeon quests when Im in the mood

Deleted
    can use other peoples TP, can't use other peoples Barn ^^

10+ Year Old Account

Battle Pet, then dump it

Can buy everything from auction house.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    can use other peoples TP
    Mind blown! Never thought of it that way!

OT - I ditched the Barn last week on my main and instantly regretted it.

I've never had the GR vendor NPC available when visiting another person's TP. The GR vendor is phased to only the owner of the garrison from what I've seen. I've tried it on multiple characters visiting different people's garrisons.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

I'm averaging about 5 bloods + 190 fur/leather for a day of work orders, with a maxed follower.

Definitely worth it for me- I want some of the T3 sets for transmog, so I can keep feeding mats in, getting bloods, and make what I need. Or sell if I need more cash, but I'm gold capped with not a lot to spend it on.

Deleted
    As usual the real strength of the Barn isn't just selling the blood raw on AH.

It's using it correctly with your tradeskills to make gear upgrades and sell them.

I'm averaging about 11,000 gold for "lesser" gear upgade which is 150/200 BOP mats + 15 blood. This gives savage blood much greater value than whatever price it is on the auction house, especially when the Barn also produces copious amounts of fur/leather that is used for primal spirits and making more BOP mats if needed.

Currently at 5 barns I get about 15-18 blood per day without rushing orders. Obviously rush orders add a bit to that as it's the most profitable GR dump at the moment.

Using other people's TP was not possible before 6.1 (the trader was not even visible). So can you use him now?

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add, TP obviously also requires fish for WO since today's patch (and even 20/WO), which also reduces it's usefulness for me.

I assume it's fish flesh that's required for the new work orders?

Barn still good.

Got 11 Barns, averaging about 30 SB per day + leather/fur/meat.
    Even at 200-300gold per SB its really good.

Even at 100g (NPC who buys your SB) still pretty decent. So I guess I won't replace Barn anytime soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ucplayer View Post
    Barn still good.

Got 11 Barns, averaging about 30 SB per day + leather/fur/meat.
    Even at 200-300gold per SB its really good.

Even at 100g (NPC who buys your SB) still pretty decent. So I guess I won't replace Barn anytime soon.
    I don't think it will ever reach the point where this will be better than using your blood for the profession gear upgrades. If you have 11 of them you also have 11 max levels with lots of maxed professions, I assume they are crafting ones (gathering is garbage in this expansion).

Even if you don't really want to play with the primal spirit crafting route, you still generate loads of mats from cooldowns, rush orders and work orders. All the mat expenditure is usually covered by your garrisons save for Sorcerous mats (which are pretty cheap tbf). So it's net gold, 7-15k per lesser upgrade (15 blood), 12-20k per greater one (30 blood).

I never made this much gold off crafting epic gear. In previous expacs the mentality was like here's 20 gold tip now make me this BiS armor piece. It's not there anymore, the crafter actually gets paid well due to having to use BOP crafting materials.

Thanks for the input, sticking with barn for now