Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    With overclocking I generally go:

Am I having performance issues with the games I'm running? Are they likely a CPU issue?

No -> do not overclock.
    Yes -> consider overclocking.

For the last 3 or so builds, I've never gotten to the "yes" stage before I've needed to upgrade for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If that were the case, I would just buy her a newer budget gaming system (4160 setup) and OC your current 2500K.

As others said earlier, an OC'd 2500k is about as good as a 4590 or un-OC'd 4690K. So save a fair bit of money overall and still achieve the same goals.
    True, I could do that. My PC is aging a bit though, money isn't really an issue and I'd probably have to replace the graphics card at least. Would rather start over and enjoy the new PC smell :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    On topic:

If you're building a new rig to give the current one to your wife (hey, that's how computer upgrades work in my house too..), then i'd stick with the recommendations so far:

if you're just going to be gaming on it (and dont have need for extra cores/hyperthreading) - stick with the i5. Get the 4690K if it isn't too much more expensive simply for the option to overclock later, if you feel like it. Its easier than ever (you could OC it to 4Ghz on a 40$ (US$) air cooler).

Depending on the costs (i know i just did a build for a guy in AUS$ and holy crap does the VAT screw you guys) - consider a GTX 970 even if you play largely at 1080p - the larger VRAM pool will lend it longevity vs the 960.

8GB of RAM is likely fine if you dont do much more than gaming and light background tasks.

I consider (at least in US$) the sweet spot to be around 900-1100 for a "bottom of the high end" rig. Here, at least, you can get a GTX 970, i5 4690K, and 8GB of RAM and that will generally crush gaming at 1080p and last several years.
    Yeah it'll be another gaming rig, I'm not a graphic designer or anything. The GST is only 10% (I think that's what you guys call VAT), it's the cumulative effect of the conversion rate, shipping, import fees (I think), higher cost of living and the "fuck you Australia" factor :P

I wasn't sure if I'd need more RAM, figured I'd get 8Gb and play it by ear.

Mostly dithering over the graphics cards now. 280X vs 770X... they look fairly even on performance, the 770X is $50+ dearer. Bit hard to tell though as a number of Aus retailers don't seem to list the 770X yet. Might not have stocked them yet, Australia is slow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Mostly dithering over the graphics cards now. 280X vs 770X... they look fairly even on performance, the 770X is $50+ dearer. Bit hard to tell though as a number of Aus retailers don't seem to list the 770X yet. Might not have stocked them yet, Australia is slow...
    Whats a 770X?

AFAIK, the only GPU to use the 770 numerals is the generation-and-a-half old GTX 770, which has been out of production for quite some time.

the 280X is roughly the equivalent of the GTX 960 (synthetics show a substantial lead to the 960, real-world benchmarks put them closer together, YMMV), which is nVidia's currently-shipping "mid-range" card.

Again, if your budget will support it, i'd recommend a GTX 970 over the 960 or R9 2XX below the 290. the 4GB of VRAM is a lot more future proof even for 1080p/max. The R9 290/290X are also not bad choices if you dont mind them using more power.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2015-03-27 at 02:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    If you don't OC, I wouldn't worry about liquid cooling. But if you do plan on OC'ing, watercooling is mandatory.
    Bullshit of the day!

Deleted
    I personally don't go over 1600MHz ram speed because it's pretty much useless for ram to be faster than that, except for APUs. But you have dedicated GPU that have much faster ram, so i'd keep it cheaper.

If you don't OC, I wouldn't worry about liquid cooling. But if you do plan on OC'ing, watercooling is mandatory.
    Mandatory? LOL. Funny, especially when you consider there are air coolers that do a better job then a lot of water coolers out there.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys have no idea what you're talking about LOL. GG OCing and burning out your cpu before it should, no sweat off my back.

I swear I've never seen a group more pompous and stuck up than this. It's honestly sickening.
    You have seen benchmarks where air coolers outperform water coolers right? A good air cooler is fine and saves money. You call us pompous and stuck up yet all I ever see you do is recommend people spend far more money than they need to. Then, when people recommend ways to save money and get the same results, you put them down. Who comes off as pompous and stuck up? You, and every time I see your name in a thread, it sickens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Whats a 770X?

AFAIK, the only GPU to use the 770 numerals is the generation-and-a-half old GTX 770, which has been out of production for quite some time.

the 280X is roughly the equivalent of the GTX 960 (synthetics show a substantial lead to the 960, real-world benchmarks put them closer together, YMMV), which is nVidia's currently-shipping "mid-range" card.

Again, if your budget will support it, i'd recommend a GTX 970 over the 960 or R9 2XX below the 290. the 4GB of VRAM is a lot more future proof even for 1080p/max. The R9 290/290X are also not bad choices if you dont mind them using more power.
    I don't know why I wrote that, meant to write GTX960 :P

The 970 is AUD$430 to the 960's AUD$270, so I'd probably have to give that a miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.