Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    The descent was more rapid than the planes natural glide rate, not sure if the mountains effect that or not.

Catastrophic failure? This might sound mean, but I'd rather it be catastrophic natural failure than a bomb...

What I mean is, by the map, if they had control, they should have been able to glide to Marseille and attempt an emergency landing, so it would have to have been a catostrophic failure.
    Someone linked an article above, where an A321 could not get controlled by the pilots until they shotdown the whole boardsystems. They had problems with frozen sensors, the autopilot put the airplane into a dive with 1000m/minute, which is quite the same with the A320 over france. Look at the speed, always around the same knots, seems like the autothrottle was still active, but dont know for sure

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.aa.com.tr/fr/headlines/48...ampaign=buffer

Picture of the downed plane, not sure why they are already saying no survivors, looks like they attempted a crash landing from that picture, could be survivors...
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Absolutely horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengekaer View Post
    My condolences to the people who have lost acquaintances.

I agree, this is 2015. Hope the next-gen planes get safer. There sure have been alot dropping recently. :/
    Remains one of the safest ways to travel.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thsoern View Post
    Someone linked an article above, where an A321 could not get controlled by the pilots until they shotdown the whole boardsystems. They had problems with frozen sensors, the autopilot put the airplane into a dive with 1000m/minute, which is quite the same with the A320 over france. Look at the speed, always around the same knots, seems like the autothrottle was still active, but dont know for sure
    The reports say there was no dive flight.
    And apparently the plane sent some SOS out at around 10:27am
    No survivors expected.
    400 rescue personnel en route to the crash site.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktperry View Post
    The plane was there since 1991.
    There should be some law, about passangers plane being like 10-12years old or even less.
    This is 24 years old plane for fucks sake.
    People with absolutely no clue about aviation should really not be making such comments, it only makes you look foolish.

I would have though the faulty de-icing was fixed after the air France flight ending in the Atlantic due to faulty pitot tubes.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Terrorists did it, with a guided missile, above North Korea. #TrendingTopicToBlame.

On a more serious not: I hope they manage to get people who're still alive out of there. Be it barely or completely alive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    http://www.aa.com.tr/fr/headlines/48...ampaign=buffer

Picture of the downed plane, not sure why they are already saying no survivors, looks like they attempted a crash landing from that picture, could be survivors...
    It's an archived photo, not a picture of the Germanwings aircraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by robodin View Post
    True.... This pic should make it obvious.
    The crashed plane shows nothing of the Germanwings labels

10+ Year Old Account
    That previous photo is apparently a plane that crashed in 2007 (Atlasjet 4203, I believe). I have no idea why they're showing it. Its entirely unrelated, unless they want to be like "This is what a crashed plane might look like"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    unless they want to be like "This is what a crashed plane might look like"
    Like having to put warning signs on stuff you really SHOULD NOT EAT which nobody ever would even think about eating.

Seriously? Arent we like 2015 with all technology and stuff.
    You mean like 2015 where we save even the last penny right ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    You mean like 2015 where we save even the last penny right ?
    We save on the fraction of a penny.
    I've learned that already in economic class in the 1970s.

Seriously? Arent we like 2015 with all technology and stuff. Arent people inspecting the planes before they leave? Arent everything chcked with computer etc?!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10129817.html
    There several kinds of bacteria that lives within the fuel tanks aboard planes, microbial corrosion can on rare occasions occur to the point where it can cause a plane crash since it eats the fuel tank from the inside out.

point being that accidents can occur no matter how much one tries to prevent them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Two.. Flying is still a technology in progress. There are a lot of things about flying that are dangerous and unpredictable.
    Flying...would be one of those dangerous things!

Still, it's a sad thing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by robodin View Post
    Hep you guys are right, sorry about that. Don't know why they would have a random crashed lane picture on their article, my French isn't that good.
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    GermanTV News just report that the crash debris is spread out in an area of 2 square kilometers as per police helicopter patrol reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Tragic.

It seems like plane crashes are becoming more and more common in recent years. Makes me wonder if there's something amiss with the way the world is working lately.
    What happened is horrible and my condolences go to the families. Having that said, 2014 had the second fewest cases of deadly plane crashes in the last 50 years with seven. I would be willing to bet that as many fatal car accidents have happened globally while I typed this message.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

15+ Year Old Account
    On average, every day more than 8 million people fly. In 2013 total passenger numbers were 3.1 billion—surpassing the 3 billion mark for the first time ever. That number is expected to grow to 3.3 billion in 2014 (equivalent to 44% of the world’s population).
    IATA link.

Think there is something like 30M flights per year, commercial only flights.
    It is tragic when something happens but with the amount of tech involved and the sheer number of flights it is an insanely well regulated and successful industry in terms of safety.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2015-03-24 at 02:14 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I am curious though, the old adage of flying is the safest way to travel statistically.. with all the recent planes going missing, being shot down, crashing etc.. even the ones where nobody died (like the hudson one).. is it STILL the safest?