Deleted

Looking for a Tower Defense game.

Hi, was just wondering if anyone happened to have any good tower defense recommendations, preferably something with lots of levels/upgrades/buildings w/e, anything is fine really as long as no game breaking bugs/impossible levels/phases too early.

Any platform, would prefer PC although will pass if on java and stuck with a game screen that cant be re-sized.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    one word.

bloons
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    Sanctum 2, Orcs must die, Orc Must Die 2, Defense Tecnica, Defense Grid series

10+ Year Old Account
    Plants VS Zombies
    Fieldrunners 1 + 2
    Crystal Defenders
    Sanctum 1 + 2 - FPS tower defense
    Defense Grid
    Orcs Must Die 1 + 2 - 3rd person tower defense
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

All the best TDs are now Starcraft 2 custom maps, ever since the TD/making community left WC3 to come there. Gem Tower Defense, Squadron TD, Elemental Tower Defense, etc. are all amazing maps far beyond anything released for sale by anyone.

It's kind of bizzare that stand-alone TD games are almost universally inferior to user made maps for an RTS, but I guess game developers just don't have the creativity of gamers themselves. All they seem to know how to do is dumb down existing user-created content then slap some voiceovers or some other stupid quirk (like first-person combat) to it.

I will admit that games like Orcs Must Die 1&2 are great, but they're hardly TDs... you can kill everything by yourself in those games with the right setup, and even when you can't you're still expected to do a considerable part of the work yourself rather than leaving it to your towers.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Kingdom Rush games are pretty good on the ipad...another good one is Jelly Defense.

Deleted
    I'm not sure what you tried but neither defense technica nor the Defense Grid series can be considered "dumbed" down. Also I do not really know how you can dumb down a concept as easy as tower defense (literally you have towers, you place towers, you upgrade towers, either on fixed spots or you get placeable walls and can maze), but eh"dumb" down is another of those terms freely thrown around until it lost any kind of meaning.

The defense grid series actually is considered one of the best TD games made and Awakening is *really* good, with tons of levels and challenges

- - - Updated - - -

oh also Shad'o is pretty nice as well.
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2015-03-24 at 04:33 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the orcs must die suggestion, something new in the genre (for moi), decided to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    I'm not sure what you tried but neither defense technica nor the Defense Grid series can be considered "dumbed" down. Also I do not really know how you can dumb down a concept as easy as tower defense (literally you have towers, you place towers, you upgrade towers, either on fixed spots or you get placeable walls and can maze), but eh"dumb" down is another of those terms freely thrown around until it lost any kind of meaning.
    Well, you can dumb it down by removing the ability to maze (in my opinion, the most atrocious example of dumbing down of TDs), like Defense Grind does for nearly all its levels. You can dumb it down by making simpler towers without synergies. You can dumb it down by removing vulnerabilities and resistances. You can dumb it down by removing enemy types. You can dumb it down by making the levels smaller. You can dumb it down by making it more forgiving. You can dumb it down by remving player choice.

There are lots of ways to dumb down even TDs, and in my opinion that defense grid is considered on of the best TDs ever made (it doesn't even have mazing, man, aside from a few levels and even there the "mazing" you're allowed to do usually amounts to like choosing which one of 2-3 choke points to funnel them into) is evidence in favour of my assertion that non-user created ones are indeed dumbed down.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who doesn't say Bloons needs to be hung and die in a fire!!!!!!
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I second votes for Defense Grid, if you like the original Defense Grid 2 is also excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrypowdah View Post
    Thanks for the orcs must die suggestion, something new in the genre (for moi), decided to try it out!
    Dungeon Defenders is another FPS TD.

Defense Grid would be at the top of my list.
    I found Defender's Quest to be fun and humorous.
    Dungeon of the Endless is pretty fun and adds some interesting mechanics.
    Anomaly is a fun reverse TD game.
    Dungeon Defenders is good multiplayer (I found it a little boring single player).

Wouldn't LoL technically be considered a tower defense game?

Quote Originally Posted by CJack14dt View Post
    Wouldn't LoL technically be considered a tower defense game?
    No, as it falls into the MOBA genre and has absolutely nothing to do with building a base defense. Tower defense has more to do with (likening it to an RTS) turtling. You build huge amounts of base defense systems and the enemy throws 1 massive wave at you and you have to survive.
    I put on pants, FOR THIS?!?!?!