Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/16774527297
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/16717782094

Among other less legit forums (Where they get the bots from) that are having people whining about getting banned (And threads being deleted super fast in that section) it appears that their has been a bot banning wave, some pvp bots, leveling bots, and instance farm ones have all been reported.

Good for blizzard if true...hopefully they keep it up.
    This started last week, there was a "tripwire" event with the well-known bot software, which was patched soon after, but people in their banned forum have been saying that the bans are coming fast and hard, even before their new accounts are out of trial status.

If this was all cracked versions of the bot software, which didn't get the tripwire alert, sounds like they got a nice long list of players last week to ban wave this week.

Problem is, there's more people using the legit version, and they're botting away happily, even with the increased bans.

And no, these aren't accounts using stolen credit cards, apparently there's a dirt cheap Russian battle chest you can buy with PayPal.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    And so many people say that Blizzard likes botters and never bans them.
    Possibly because they are so discreet about it, most people never even know they do so.

IMO they shouldnt be banned for botting since they'd still have an active sub which is paid for but not usable, and once people get in the habit of not playing wow they may stop and lose subs. Fine line for Blizz to consider losing a sub vs helping those who arent botting. More just punishment would be to delete the toons which botting was done on, or to wipe all of their current tier/season's gear and ratings, so it's an extremely severe punishment on all the progress made but at the same time the person can still play or start a new toon to maintain subs. If they stop playing from losing that toon, so be it, would be the same as them stop playing completele during the ban time anyways.

More of these would likely be handed out then when Blizz's choice is ban & discontinued sub or wiped yet continue to sub

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post
    IMO they shouldnt be banned for botting since they'd still have an active sub which is paid for but not usable, and once people get in the habit of not playing wow they may stop and lose subs. Fine line for Blizz to consider losing a sub vs helping those who arent botting. More just punishment would be to delete the toons which botting was done on, or to wipe all of their current tier/season's gear and ratings, so it's an extremely severe punishment on all the progress made but at the same time the person can still play or start a new toon to maintain subs. If they stop playing from losing that toon, so be it, would be the same as them stop playing completele during the ban time anyways.

More of these would likely be handed out then when Blizz's choice is ban & discontinued sub or wiped yet continue to sub
    The total number of people who bot is probably more like a few thousand. Compared to 10,000,000 subs (last count), I don't think Blizzard cares that much. Botting is an activity that can have a serious effect on the game's economy and needs to be dealt with.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was no ban wave. Just a few isolated cases of 6 month bans for questing and using rotation bots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaderp View Post
    Mostly was cracked Honorbuddy users that got banned, what I heard anyway.
    This. The tripwire for the cracked version didn't go off until ~20 min later, which was enough time for them to get caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perma banned is the only thing good enough for those low life.

Not even close to a ban wave, unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    The total number of people who bot is probably more like a few thousand. Compared to 10,000,000 subs (last count), I don't think Blizzard cares that much. Botting is an activity that can have a serious effect on the game's economy and needs to be dealt with.
    I would say it's a lot more than "a few thousand". One bot forum alone has over 230k members, and we all know how many people tend to post on forums vs only use the product without ever registering.

Quote Originally Posted by cockaroo View Post
    Good. I currently know some people who bot as mythic raiders, and it bothers me. Also it wreaks havoc on the economy for the farm botters. My server's economy basically feels like communism. It's been exceedingly hard to make gold. It is to the point where everyone is using trade skill master, and if you're not, good luck. However, if everyone uses it, the margins just get tighter and tighter. Too many goblins. I feel like blizz ought to change some of the drop rates and crafting requirements to make some items more costly. The low cost of items only serves as a way to further dampen the economy and depress individuals from making good gold. It's just like in today's society where some people think a million dollars is a lot of money. Where other people will spend a million dollars in 2 hours and not even care. It's all relative, but this rift in the classes is what will eventually lead to much bigger societal problems down the road. Sacrifice the majority of your population for the very few is not a good model.
    So communism would be if all the stuff in Warcraft were publicly owned, and then distributed out to subscribers according to their needs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Given that most bots are PvP bots, they should just add a captcha to the BG/Arena entrance.
    They are all over dungeons and raid now also.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astynax View Post

Why would Blizzard want them as customers if they add to the toxicity of the game by using bots. If they want a second chance they can purchase the game again and start fresh.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    I figured that a bot ban wave would coincide with the token sales program.
    I suppose that's actually some incentive to go after bots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, although I hope we see these waves more often.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    There was no ban wave. Just a few isolated cases of 6 month bans for questing and using rotation bots.

- - - Updated - - -

This. The tripwire for the cracked version didn't go off until ~20 min later, which was enough time for them to get caught.
    No such thing as a 6 month ban. The longest suspension is 72 hours (3 days). After that, permaban. Botting is usually permaban on the first offense though (penalty volcano doesn't usually apply).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    No such thing as a 6 month ban. The longest suspension is 72 hours (3 days). After that, permaban. Botting is usually permaban on the first offense though (penalty volcano doesn't usually apply).
    Look up facts before you post nonsense. 6 month bans exist.

Only way they could even remotely think they could compete with the gold sellers pricing capabilities. Unless they actually start to monitor bots and ban them more frequently beyond just once in a blue moon, this wont do anything. The bots will be back within days farming gold just as easily as before and then we will have to wait another year before blizzard decides to ban any again.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    Well, hopefully they will ban as many bot users as possible. The more they get, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    They're reporting 6 month bans, starting today. Seems to be a new thing. First time is 6 months, after that, perm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    I would say it's a lot more than "a few thousand". One bot forum alone has over 230k members, and we all know how many people tend to post on forums vs only use the product without ever registering.
    having 230,000 forum members doesn't mean they have 230,000 paying customers. Our forum has 10k posters - would we assume that's all WoW has?

10+ Year Old Account
    having 230,000 forum members doesn't mean they have 230,000 paying customers. Our forum has 10k posters - would we assume that's all WoW has?
    That's my point...there's a lot more users than there are posters. 230k on forum implies a lot more actual botters.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Yes, it's a new ban wave targetting the well known bot.
    6 months ban for first offenders, permaban for others.
    lol, more like 72 hr suspension.
    you will see them all in game again soon.

and i know (and have reported) several peeps i know in game that bot, have been caught 5+ times, and still just get suspensions. I think perma-ban is a myth. sub fee is a sub fee. Blizz dont throw away money.
    Last edited by Djaye; 2015-03-24 at 09:05 PM.