Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    True; I took that with a pinch of salt, he's probably not stuck, but progression from there is very slow if you're not playing for hours each day.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    True; I took that with a pinch of salt, he's probably not stuck, but progression from there is very slow if you're not playing for hours each day.
    I just assumed he literally meant he can't get past rank 14 which is why people in the thread are basically saying 'you aren't a good player if you can't get past 14'. And even I feel that way as someone who starts to go really slow at 14 myself, because I'm just not a great player.

I have no problems admitting as much. I do improve a lot when I play often and I'm miles better than when I started, but I can't really blame the cards entirely. I do think spending money helps get over a skill cap quicker, but only because you have more potential learning on your end. It's like having multiple text books to study from instead of one set of books. You'll get to the same end result, but you can never really get past your own capacity for learning no matter how much money you throw at something.

I could play all day every day and I'd never be a world class HS player, just someone who played enough games to get to legend. It's why I've never streamed on twitch because I don't think my skill justifies trying to get people to watch me plod through mediocre games.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Frankly, he's right. An upper tier quality control warrior is going to do better than your bog standard F2P account decks. I know you're trying to get across that you can reach legend with any properly constructed deck, but surely it's obvious you can do it faster with a better deck.
    If an "upper tier" control warrior is stuck at Rank 14 and grinding F2P players, then they are a very convincing argument against Pay2Win.

People are brave to ladder in the current meta with c warrior and handlock.

I suppose you would rather play against mech Mage and face hunter?

Garbage meta, I miss playing against zoo..

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    I mean, you could just sell your soul to the devil and play face hunter and get high ranks for free.
    Damn, devil must gotten mad rich lately

Quote Originally Posted by HearthRhythm View Post
    Challenge accepted :3 Don't know your skype though. PM me
    Oh I have got to see this. DO IT!

Stream and link here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Apparently we're on the opposite side of the world from each other. If it does go down, it'll be Friday evening, pst, or thereabouts.

Deleted
    At least handlocks and control warriors are a bit of fun to play against. I main a priest and I really like being able to reach endgame and pull off all of my combos. Win or lose doesn't matter, it was a fun game.

Cancer huntards however are the opposite of fun. Current meta is the stealth 1-drop (worgen something) into bluegill warrior into bunch of other cheap charge shit (such as arcane golem, wolf rider, unleash the skill etc). They just hit face with everything... 0 strategy in it. I can't even stop this shit with auchenai + circle because they keep dropping charge creatures and whittle you down every turn anyway. I made low-mana anti cancer paladin with every cheap taunt and divine shield I could get (as well as 40+ worth of healing) and it deals with it nicely. It fails against any controll deck however, because at low curve it's also sort of aggressive deck designed to trade 2:1 with cheap shit - thus not doing so well against anything with 5+ health.

And it's a very cheap deck to put together so it's played by so many people. I don't think there's a single epic+ card in cancer huntard deck. I can't believe this actually works as this deck has so much charge in it, it looks like Totalbiscuit's gimmick deck at some point. He had charge-based Warrior I think and failed horribly with it. This is what Hearthstone has become after gvg.

To be honest I had more fun playing against "old" hunter meta that used undertakers. At least they traded with my fucking minions instead of going blind face rush.
    Last edited by mmocd8b7f80d95; 2015-03-26 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiadam View Post
    Apparently we're on the opposite side of the world from each other. If it does go down, it'll be Friday evening, pst, or thereabouts.
    eating_popcorn.gif

Please record it somewhere, I probably won't be up to watch it.

OT: As a rank 16-15 player I feel that not having the big cards just hurts me when I try to play any late game deck, because your bolderfist ogres aren't gonna stand up to dr. booms, ragnaros, sneeds and so forth.

Which shucks because that's what I like to play, but I ain't in a hurry to move up. All the unpredictable decks down here are pretty fun.
    Last edited by Sorissa; 2015-03-28 at 12:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    At least handlocks and control warriors are a bit of fun to play against. I main a priest and I really like being able to reach endgame and pull off all of my combos. Win or lose doesn't matter, it was a fun game.

Cancer huntards however are the opposite of fun. Current meta is the stealth 1-drop (worgen something) into bluegill warrior into bunch of other cheap charge shit (such as arcane golem, wolf rider, unleash the skill etc). They just hit face with everything... 0 strategy in it. I can't even stop this shit with auchenai + circle because they keep dropping charge creatures and whittle you down every turn anyway. I made low-mana anti cancer paladin with every cheap taunt and divine shield I could get (as well as 40+ worth of healing) and it deals with it nicely. It fails against any controll deck however, because at low curve it's also sort of aggressive deck designed to trade 2:1 with cheap shit - thus not doing so well against anything with 5+ health.

And it's a very cheap deck to put together so it's played by so many people. I don't think there's a single epic+ card in cancer huntard deck. I can't believe this actually works as this deck has so much charge in it, it looks like Totalbiscuit's gimmick deck at some point. He had charge-based Warrior I think and failed horribly with it. This is what Hearthstone has become after gvg.

To be honest I had more fun playing against "old" hunter meta that used undertakers. At least they traded with my fucking minions instead of going blind face rush.
    Both cancer and control are not fun, but its two sides of the same coin. Hearthstone has evolved to the point that only these 2 types of decks exist and there is nothing in the middle. Ever seen a midgame deck lately?

- - - Updated - - -

So, we played the Control Warrior and from full star Rank 7 got 6 losses and 4 wins. With annother Win by him at the end resulting in a win-streak that got us back to that rank, so nothing was lost.

Which might seem pretty bad (and it is, some of the mistakes I did were pretty gruesome), but consider a player being given a deck and has no "Feel" for that deck. That said, given enough time and such a deck and getting used to it, I can probably beat rank 14-10 with ease.

We faced some rush hunters (most of which we did beat, though I lost to one due to a stupidly played Geddon, but that hunter was not a derp rush, he had azure drakes and some other strange stuff) A Rush paladin (that beat me) A Control-ish druid (that also did beat me), And an Oil Rogue, which we defeated. (or some variation of it that runs VanCleef for some reason)
    Last edited by mmoc7f96ea22f7; 2015-03-28 at 05:43 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I get to rank 5 every month by playing gimmick decks. I play maybe 10-15games every 3 days to get my dailys done. To get from 5 to Legend you need a decent deck, but before that its cakewalk.

So the dilusion that you need handlock or control warrior to get to the higher ranks is just a dumb excuse you use to reduce your dissonance. Because in your mind you are a great player that deserves to be high ranked, but doesnt have the cards to get there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    I get to rank 5 every month by playing gimmick decks. I play maybe 10-15games every 3 days to get my dailys done. To get from 5 to Legend you need a decent deck, but before that its cakewalk.

So the dilusion that you need handlock or control warrior to get to the higher ranks is just a dumb excuse you use to reduce your dissonance. Because in your mind you are a great player that deserves to be high ranked, but doesnt have the cards to get there.
    Some gimmick decks are actually pretty good. Especially when people do not expect what is coming for them and play like they should against normal opponents.

Hey, just to provide an update on my end - I have the entire 2 hours recorded and I'll upload it over the night/work day on Monday. I'll add in some game analysis and comments when that happens as well.

As for a quick rundown of the games, I'm going to use the latest meta snapshot to determine the value of each win/loss (for example, a warrior who goes 5-5 against face hunter is definitely not on the same playing level, and it would be unfair to mark them as so.)

Code:
    Deck			Outcome		Win rate	Curved result

Midrange druid 		Loss		30% 		-0.6
    Face hunter 		Win		90% 		+0.2
    Midrange paladin 	Loss		35%		-0.7
    Midrange hunter 	Loss		35% 		-0.7
    Face paladin 		Loss		70% 		-1.4
    Face hunter 		Win		90% 		+0.2
    Face hunter 		Loss		90% 		-1.8
    Midrange druid 		Loss		30% 		-0.6
    Midrange hunter 	Win		35% 		+1.3
    Oil rogue 		Win		20% 		+0.4
    Overall, that's a 3.7 game drop over the course of 10 games, so I personally would mark the 10 game series as gone down closer to a 3-7 rather than 4-6.

HearthRythm also mentioned he was playing at rank 10 previously using a mage deck ... so ultimately going 3-7 at rank 7 (so sue me, I've only been logging in to complete dailies for the past couple of months due to a HotS beta invite :P) from a rank 10 sounds absolutely reasonable and exactly what you'd expect if having every card in the game ... didn't do much if at all to improve your rank. While he argues inexperience with the deck, I sustain that the lack of preparation/experience is one of the key reasons why you lose. Furthermore, the fact that he was telling me over the skype call how to play the turns allowed him to rethink instantaneous plays that may have been disastrous otherwise. In fact, that's a pretty good tip on how to improve, just talk to yourself every game and tell yourself what plays you're going to make.

PS - we fought 5 midrange decks (maybe 4 if you want to make a hard argument that the last druid was pure ramp) over 10 games, how can you possibly say that only control and aggro exist in this meta?
    Last edited by kaiadam; 2015-03-28 at 11:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting resolution to the thread. While this has very little to do with the original purpose or direction of the thread this little bit of great advice...

"In fact, that's a pretty good tip on how to improve, just talk to yourself every game and tell yourself what plays you're going to make" ...

is what I choose to take away. Also nice to see a dispute in a thread result in some collaboration (even if it takes the form of a challenge) rather than the usual nastiness->internet stalemate.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Deleted
    I'd say, that, in conclusion, we've found out that:

1/ Im not that good a player as I wished I could be. Which is fine, I guess. Probably? One could allways improve, eh?
    2/ There are actually midrange decks in the meta.
    3/ Control Warrior Is not all that easy to play, since you still have decisions to do. So Its not all about the bling cards you have to get you trough to a win.
    4/ Don't play Geddon if that Geddon is gonna kill 2 of your own minions and damage your face against a face hunter (resulting in a loss against a face hunter, or was that the midrange hunter? all hunters seem face hunters to me, some just do it slowly)

Kinda horrified to see how my voice sounds like over skype...
    Last edited by mmoc7f96ea22f7; 2015-03-29 at 12:42 AM.

I love this thread, can't wait to see the vid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Im rank8 with Murloc Shaman, in a meta that pretty much hard counters Murlocs without even trying to counter them.
    Nepulon is destroyed 70% of the time by BGH meant for Dr Boom.
    Murlocs are MC teched, aoed, raped or whatever constantly by cards meant for Mech Mage.

And yet i am rank8, with Murlocs, play the deck you want, experiment until you get it to work, you'll be suprised and your confidence will grow knowing you built it yourself and it beats netdecking "#¤%s who lacks any form of imagination or will to create their own decks, the satisfaction is immense and and you never get roped either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vexew View Post
    Im rank8 with Murloc Shaman, in a meta that pretty much hard counters Murlocs without even trying to counter them.
    Nepulon is destroyed 70% of the time by BGH meant for Dr Boom.
    Murlocs are MC teched, aoed, raped or whatever constantly by cards meant for Mech Mage.

And yet i am rank8, with Murlocs, play the deck you want, experiment until you get it to work, you'll be suprised and your confidence will grow knowing you built it yourself and it beats netdecking "#¤%s who lacks any form of imagination or will to create their own decks, the satisfaction is immense and and you never get roped either.
    Cuz nobody else came up with the idea of Shamurloc when Neptulon was revealed to be a legendary for the class in GvG. That didn't happen at all. It's all just your original idea.

If you're gonna call others out for netdecking, make sure you're not bragging about playing a netdeck first. They even shared Shamurloc on the front page of Hearthpwn.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Cuz nobody else came up with the idea of Shamurloc when Neptulon was revealed to be a legendary for the class in GvG. That didn't happen at all. It's all just your original idea.

If you're gonna call others out for netdecking, make sure you're not bragging about playing a netdeck first. They even shared Shamurloc on the front page of Hearthpwn.
    Be serious, how many Murloc Shamans have you meet at rank10 or below, or hell, at any rank so far?
    1-2?, maybe 0?, personally i have not meet a single one in 200 games.
    Now for a test since you obviously seem so sure of yourself, link the Shaman murloc deck you think i netdecked.
    Now i feel generous, so if even 20 of the cards in the deck are correct, i admit defeat. Go ahead prove to me that i am a netdecking scum.
    Last edited by mmocdfdf1a8f27; 2015-03-29 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Also nice to see a dispute in a thread result in some collaboration (even if it takes the form of a challenge) rather than the usual nastiness->internet stalemate.
    Wow, it's surely a very happy ending. Hope this can happen more often in here.

Can't wait to watch the video!