Deleted

Boy with Autism Improves on Antibiotics, Connecting Gut Bacteria to ASD

Source: http://www.healthline.com/health-new...o-asd-032415#1

The connection between gut bacteria and autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is becoming better established.

The latest link is courtesy of John Rodakis, a medical venture capitalist who published a report today on how his son’s autism symptoms improved dramatically while the child was taking an antibiotic. The boy was put on the prescription antibiotic amoxicillin to treat strep throat.

The child was able to make eye contact, his speech development improved, and he had drive and energy his parents had never seen before.

The report by Rodakis, who has a Harvard MBA and a background in molecular biology, reviews recent research on the link between gut bacteria and ASD. It was published in Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease.

I need something a little more concrete than "my kid was sick and he felt better after taking antibiotics. Oh and he has autism."

I don't want it to sound like I'm doubting it but...the evidence isn't there at all.

Notable decrease in urges to visit California.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It's long been established that people with Autism have different gut flora than normal people.

Though never before has it been suggested that this could be a cause of Autism. Although other new research has recently suggested a link between your inner bacteria and your mood and personality.

Your body's bacteria can and does affect your mind, so this IS plausible.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2015-03-25 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I need something a little more concrete than "my kid was sick and he felt better after taking antibiotics. Oh and he has autism."

I don't want it to sound like I'm doubting it but...the evidence isn't there at all.
    Sounds legit to me. I had severe memory issues for a long time, went on a barbiturate and my memory improved drastically while I was on that medication.

I have strong beliefs that gut flora and (body) candida ties into a lot of medical issues including firbromyalgia and Alzheimers. But thats just my experience with my own body

Sigh.

This guy is a Harvard MBA running around touting his bachelor's degree as if he's a molecular biologist. If you go to his foundation website, nofone.org, he is asking for money to donate to research. Nowhere does it mention any of the other numerous, actually-well-established foundations as options. Nowhere does it talk about accountability or how the money is being used. It's just a giant Paypal button.

This is either:

1) A complete scam to take money, divide it between scientific liaisons (used for credibility) and the family running the organization
    2) A misled father who thinks "N of one" is a non-stupid marketing slogan for a scientific endeavor.

Case in point: if he really believes that amoxicillin can improve autism, you're looking at the cheapest, most harmless clinical trial possible (or even possible retroactively through medical records). You don't need a team of expert advisers and a foundation to address this question.

Oh my God no no no no no, not this no no, nope nope. Not this shit again.