Thread: windows 10

windows 10

hi, just wanted to know if there is any of you using windows 10 with success?
    and if i should just buy 8.1 and im looking on amazon right now and i see
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 - Full Version for 101.79$ and
    Windows 8.1 System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit for 91.71$
    what one do i buy for a new build i just made?
    my 1st build so ima noob lol all im missing now is my os

I've been using windows 10 in a virtual machine, and I'd say it's best to wait until at least a release candidate before using it as a "live" system, they're still changing a lot of things with it at the moment. The upgrade to windows 10 will be free for the first year though, if you're running windows 7 or 8, so you may as well get windows 8 for now, and get the free upgrade to 10 when it's finished.
    As for the full or OEM version, the OEM version is for system builders. If you built the system, you can install an OEM version, and save yourself a bit of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    The caveat with the System builder is that the licence is again "locked" to the motherboard you first use the licence on. You can't then move it to another system.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    The caveat with the System builder is that the licence is again "locked" to the motherboard you first use the licence on. You can't then move it to another system.
    Is it actually enforced now with Win8? Wasn't with 7.

Kinda irrelevant anyway for OP since he's finishing a new build theres very little risk it'll be moved to another system anytime soon.

Windows 10 seems to work pretty well. I have it installed as the primary OS for a laptop we don't use very often. What you're missing is new driver support outside of WHQL certified drivers that are already available with Windows Update. You probably don't want to use it as a primary OS because if history serves, you'll need to wipe and reinstall the Win 10 release. Microsoft lists upgrade paths through Windows Update for previous Windows versions, but doesn't specifically list a direct upgrade path for Win 10 tech preview users.

I installed it on a SSD I had. I have 8.1 on my other SSD. I've been using Win8 since it came out when I installed 10 it was kinda "meh" just felt like using Windows 8 with a mod for a start button. All my drivers for my system were detected and functional.

I've been using Windows 10 Preview as my primary computer for a while now, no major issues except for the occasional hour-long "reboot to install latest build" delay. I don't do a lot with it, really, just Google Docs/Drive and Blizzard/Steam games. It's peppy, though, and the Start menu is only half-crap.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    W10 Preview is pretty much an improvement on Windows 8.1 under the hood, with the Start Menu being slightly weird, and Cortana is oddly awesome, when it understands you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    W10 Preview is pretty much an improvement on Windows 8.1 under the hood, with the Start Menu being slightly weird, and Cortana is oddly awesome, when it understands you.
    And available in your region