Latest WarcraftDevs tweet shows lack of mechanics knowledge?

So I was scrolling through mmo-champion today when I saw this:

(full link to tweet here: https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/sta...52494360326144)

The tweet mentions that the 18 sec DR timer begins as soon as a CC lands, whereas it actually starts whenever a CC ends.

Now don't get me wrong, it's good to see Blizzard hire people like Holinka to take care of PvP, but seeing such a reply on a core mechanic that's just been updated is kind of worrying. Any developer/designer that works on WoW should instinctively know that DRs are taken into effect as soon as a CC fades, not lands. This isn't a situation where a developer has trouble remembering one of the thousands of spells in the game that is not so relevant, it's a case of having the main twitter account for development updates (which is managed by more than one person) give out completely false information.

This doesn't mean that everybody at Blizzard has no clue about how DRs work, but anybody that has access to that account is in an important position which requires them to have full knowledge of how these kinds of mechanics work.

The main issue I have with this is that any developer should have these concepts in mind when designing/updating a new ability/class/mechanic. So even though they do have PvP-dedicated devs, every single one of them should have a general idea of how every aspect of the game works. Otherwise you have specs and spells balanced around things that simply do not work in PvP (anybody remember 5 stacks of Taste for Blood, the whole Chaos Bolt hitting too hard/not hitting hard enough to be worth it dilemma, etc...).

I'm sure that most of those working on revamping CC and DRs know how they work, but it's damn upsetting to know that there's at least one person that does not have a clear idea about them. When you see the vicious redesign of Crowd Control in WoD and how they've approached it, you can only wonder if the whole team really knows what needs addressing, or if they're just too misguided and misinformed to make the right decisions...

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's nothing we don't already know. The guys assigned to pvp are completely incompetent.

They can't do their jobs.

And yes, knowing such things is actually somewhat important if you are going to try and balance PVP, ROFL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    This doesn't mean that everybody at Blizzard has no clue about how DRs work, but anybody that has access to that account is in an important position which requires them to have full knowledge of how these kinds of mechanics work.
    It means that enough don't know for this to get into tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeduz View Post
    Indeed just another way of showing how incompetent they are when it comes to pvp balance. That mistake is just awefull, how can u be so unaware of ur own game...
    Easy... By never having played it from the get go.

And no...spending 10 minutes with a premade generated character fighting 1v1 someone equally clueless on a test server doesn't count.

10+ Year Old Account
    MichaelJacksonpopcorn.gif

on topic though.. that's probably a CSR.. not a dev. we all know: *see sig*.
    Last edited by Lulbalance; 2015-03-26 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    MichaelJacksonpopcorn.gif

on topic though.. that's probably a CSR.. not a dev. we all know: *see sig*.
    It's WarcraftDevs, which is both the supposed catch-all account for all questions related to the game and the only remaining account when they post anything useful. Sure, they can let a janitor post there, too, but that'd be a signal on its own.

Wouldn't even be surprised if that was Holinka replying through the WarcraftDevs Account.

Embarassing ...

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Blink is a heal.
    To be honest I'd be less concerned if a dev made such a mistake. I remember one of them not being able to recall an ability for a certain spec and people called out that he didn't have to know all of the spells in the game at once. In this case I don't think it's excusable.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    It's WarcraftDevs, which is both the supposed catch-all account for all questions related to the game and the only remaining account when they post anything useful. Sure, they can let a janitor post there, too, but that'd be a signal on its own.
    I think he was being sarcastic... I think!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    To be honest I'd be less concerned if a dev made such a mistake. I remember one of them not being able to recall an ability for a certain spec and people called out that he didn't have to know all of the spells in the game at once. In this case I don't think it's excusable.

I think he was being sarcastic... I think!

i knew you would catch that. lol. it's good to see you still around btw.

Deleted
    Shock horror! blizzard don't actually play their own game! thats not actually surprising though is it? really? look I'll give you an example. Ghost crawler saying hunters don't need volley its a thing from the days of straholme rats (which ofc still exist btw! srsly) and dont have a place in the modern game. Despite the fact rain of fire, blizzard and hurricane are exactly the same thing!!! Just diff graphics and name its still the same mechanic.

Oh and nobody told the encounter designers that Volley was no longer part of the game cos they went and made Lei the 3rd boss in terrace of eternal spring. You know, the one that casts hide? and needs you to use non targetable aoe to make them come out? so the warlocks use rain of fire and hell fire, the mages go nuts with arcane explosions, flamestrikes and blizzard. the hurricanes are going off, druids spamming thrash and swipe, blood boils whirlwinds, blade stroms, holy wraths conscrates and blade storms... except my hunter. I'm stood there thinking "if I ever win the lottery I'm going to buy blizzard. Then I'm going to make all the devs spend the entire day doing an lfr on a hunter on this boss. Then Im going to scream at them."

So yeah, the Blizz class designers don't play their own game. Nothing new about that Revelation.

This reminds me of a question put up not that long ago regarding the healers have to die addon. Someone pointed out that it wasn't a fair that an addon automatically marked healers for easy targeting, their response was "the addon simply does something that you could do simply by right clicking, just makes it easier". They actually think you have the abilty to set kill targets ie skull x triangle and so on in bg's. They have no clue how so many aspects of their game actually work.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    i knew you would catch that. lol. it's good to see you still around btw.
    Good to see you too, brings back some old memories from MoP beta

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    This reminds me of a question put up not that long ago regarding the healers have to die addon. Someone pointed out that it wasn't a fair that an addon automatically marked healers for easy targeting, their response was "the addon simply does something that you could do simply by right clicking, just makes it easier". They actually think you have the abilty to set kill targets ie skull x triangle and so on in bg's. They have no clue how so many aspects of their game actually work.
    Yeah, these kinds of statements are really disheartening. I remember them defending TfB strongly up until they changed it later on when it was to obvious how broken it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Easy... By never having played it from the get go.

And no...spending 10 minutes with a premade generated character fighting 1v1 someone equally clueless on a test server doesn't count.
    Holinka claims to play BGs and Arena every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Holinka claims to play BGs and Arena every day.
    Even if someone were to play those every day, as long as they don't have the mindset for improving it wouldn't matter whatsoever. That's how I tend to think of it when I see the direction towards which the game is heading. So many things are being removed whereas they're what constituted the base of entertaining PvP.
    Nobody wants to play a game with rotational difficulty similar to a MOBA all while grinding up to max level and gearing up.