Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Who said anything about commercially sold pre-cooked rice? Make it yourself. People already use oil heavily in home cooking everywhere. It is one of the cheapest food ingredients.
    They story in the original post. Which you apparently didnt read, or really read my post either, as you missed the part of the cost of the oil also being prohibitive for people who are so poor they exist on a rice based diet.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminance View Post
    Was hoping to see a picture of a George Foreman grill
    A Clam Shell Grill is one of the best things I bought when I moved into my own place, that and a rice cooker.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the point.

The majority of where rice is consumed in large quantities (Asia) is not where obesity and calorie situations are a problem.

You don't see news about "Asians overweight because of rice"

You also don't see anything about "Americans overweight because of rice"

This is creating a solution for a problem we didn't have. I applaud their effort and it may lead to other research that may be beneficial elsewhere, but rice is not anyone's problem anywhere right now.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say rice isn't the main culprit for obese people. It's a neat trick to discover, probably has some commercial use, but I doubt it's going to actually help anyone's weight problem.
    No brah, fish, tomato sauce, and rice is what's causing the obesity epidemic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    They story in the original post. Which you apparently didnt read, or really read my post either, as you missed the part of the cost of the oil also being prohibitive for people who are so poor they exist on a rice based diet.
    And immediately after that one sentence by the author of the article, rather than the scientists, it says,

People should already be able to replicate the process at home, although James warns the results might vary depending on the type of rice used. And there's good reason to believe the chemistry could be applied to many other popular but less-than-healthy foods.
    If you are so concerned about those so poor that they supposedly only have access to rice, but NOT oil (?!), then perhaps you should have thought more about the implications for the rest of the process requiring access to chilling/refrigeration (you read that, right?). At least that is more a realistic concern rather than any form of preprocessed cooked foods for those that poor or that of oil, which is readily available anywhere...

Also, your point is even less relevant. Who do you think today has the most obese people and what profile of income and foods do they have?
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2015-03-25 at 06:15 PM.

Deleted
    White rice consumption, in particular, has been linked to a higher risk of diabetes. A cup of the cooked grain carries with it roughly 200 calories, most of which comes in the form of starch, which turns into sugar, and often thereafter body fat.
    Of course it turns into sugar, our body runs on glucose. Everything we eat turns into sugar. The thing that's objectionable about white rice is that it's low on nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't see the point.

The majority of where rice is consumed in large quantities (Asia) is not where obesity and calorie situations are a problem.

You don't see news about "Asians overweight because of rice"

You also don't see anything about "Americans overweight because of rice"

This is creating a solution for a problem we didn't have. I applaud their effort and it may lead to other research that may be beneficial elsewhere, but rice is not anyone's problem anywhere right now.

China has one of the highest obesity rates in the world and If you look up recent obesity stats you will find most of Asia has a severe obesity problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I have a better idea: don't eat rice.

Lots of perfectly healthy, protein rich legumes are widely available and in many cases cheaper than rice. Not to mention the starches in legumes are different (harder for the body to break down) than rice starch, and don't cause as drastic of blood sugar spikes as rice does.

The only reason people eat so much rice is because some bonehead started being like "WOW RICE IS SO HEALTHY BECAUSE IT IS LOW IN FAT" back when the stupid low fat diet trend was busy giving everybody type 2 diabetes.
    And THEN you went to school and had a history class

Who the hell wants to eat 12 hour old rice? Any pasta/rice/potato/etc that isn't eaten straight after cooking has this awful smushy texture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    China has one of the highest obesity rates in the world and If you look up recent obesity stats you will find most of Asia has a severe obesity problem.
    At first I was like "Oh, wow, I didn't know that. I'm going to do just that."

Every article, based on WHO, graphs and charts, news reports for the past 10 years... show asian not having obesity problems. Can you back this up at all? Everything I see says obesity is a problem in America, Canada, and Europe.
    Last edited by chazus; 2015-03-25 at 07:41 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    At first I was like "Oh, wow, I didn't know that. I'm going to do just that."

Every article, based on WHO, graphs, news reports for the past 10 years... show asian not having obesity problems. Can you back this up at all? Everything I see says obesity is a problem in America, Canada, and Europe.
    http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_16872878.htm

then for usa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity..._United_States
    According to a study in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), in 2008, the obesity rate among adult Americans was estimated at 32.2% for men and 35.5% for women; these rates were roughly confirmed by the CDC again for 2009–2010.

10+ Year Old Account
    That... isn't useful at all.

That says that A) Obesity in asia is rising rapidly, which largely indicates it has nothing to do with rice consumption, because they've ALWAYS consumed rice.

and B) Those numbers are WAY LOWER than like... the next 30 countries. 11%? 14%? The countries where obesity is considered a problem are looking at 30-50%.

Conclusive info isn't conclusive =/ Rice still doesn't seem to be remotely an issue.

The problem with white rice is that it is relatively high in calories and it causes big swings in blood sugar levels without prolonged hunger satiation. I'm not advocating you stop eating rice, just portion it appropriately and if possible switch for basmati or wild rice.

White Rice: ~200 kcal / cooked cup; GI ~98; GL 35-70 [depending on variety]
    Basmati ~190 kCal / cooked cup; GI ~58; GL ~16-18;
    Wild Rice ~160 kcal / cooked cup; GI ~57; GL ~16;

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    All you had to do was slightly more google searching for a larger picture in order to find that China's obesity rates have roughly paralleled growth in access to fast food.

How does this solve anything? The problem is NOT the calories, it is lack of self-control.

You can cut the calories found in rice in half, and the people with no self control will eat twice as much...

Just feed them meat all day, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    You can cut the calories found in rice in half, and the people with no self control will eat twice as much...
    This is the problem with the calories burned vs. calories in mentality. If the individual doesn't feel full after eating then it falls to to the willpower of a population driven by habit and impulse. With 2 billion overweight people on the planet (~40% of all adults are overweight; ~13% these classify as obese) it's safe to say that relying on willpower doesn't work. For now education, individual support and access to good food are the best we can provide. In the future (given the related health costs) expect more government regulation in our food and drink in the form of taxes. We have in fact already seen taxes imposed on sugary drinks

Cut the calorie intake on a 20 piece box of chicken nuggets and boom, world peace

10+ Year Old Account
    Cold rice sucks.

or you could just work out

theres also that