10+ Year Old Account

A crafting guide for a complete Diablo rookie

Hey folks,

So after a couple of days mucking about with the Starter Edition I've taken the plunge and bought the full game + RoS.

Now there are plenty of guides available for classes, etc, but I've not seen or been able to find any kind of guides with regards the crafting side of things. What I have found seemed to be all for Legendary items and end-game type stuff.

Are there any tips, tricks, rules-of-thumb, or guides that you guys can recommend for a complete rookie? Something a bit like the WoW-Professions guides that you can get for WoW would be really useful. Or even strategies, like: is it worth leveling the artisans as you level or come back to them later with more gold and power level stuff? Are there things to avoid, like: If I go down a particular path am I gimping myself later on in the game? Is crafting even worthwhile?

Apologies for such simple questions!
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." ~Kurt Vonnegut.

I have leveled my artisans along with me for upgrades as I leveled my character when I first started playing. Some level 70 stuff is decent, but most of your gear will come from drops. As I am sure you know. In seasons I also leveled them as I leveled. Not sure if there are many guides for crafting, maybe check Diablofans website.

You definitely will want to max out the jeweler and enchanter. Depending on class/build, the blacksmith is also essential, but for the most part, optimal gear will come from drops.

Max out the jeweler (for crafting the best gems) and enchanter (so you can reroll stats on any items you have) for sure.

I would say they are all pretty important, BS more so with which class you play. Many DH spend tons of mats trying to roll an amazing ancient Arcane Barb. Also, if playing a Sader or Barb, trying to make an ancient Sunder is a good way to boost you into higher torments, which will in turn help you farm more gear.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Crafting is worthwhile, and many end game builds involve crafted items.

Most DH builds for example, rely heavily on the Reaper's Wraps bracers from the blacksmith, as well as the Arcane Barb (have to farm the recipe, may be one of the first you get, may be one of the last. Honestly, I've had better luck with weapon drops so I don't care so much about the Barb). Many builds for many classes also make heavy use of the Hellfire Amulet as getting an extra passive can be a SIGNIFICANT damage boost.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong leveling your crafters as you get the chance. They're all valuable, if not essential to making end game items/gear you'll end up using. Pick up everything, dismantle everything (Don't bother selling it, gold comes along very easily)

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheers guys, some useful info there. Much appreciated.
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." ~Kurt Vonnegut.

There are no guides because D3 crafting is not very deep. Leveling the artisans, finding the recipe (all recipes from the artisan themself is only useful for leveling), crafting it.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

theres no need for a guide because theres very few crafting recipes that are useful endgame. i can list them off the top of my head

Barb/wizard/crusader: devastator ancient preferred with either str or int on it and a high dmg roll
    DH: arcane barb xbow, and reapers wraps (for hatred regen)
    WD: aughilds/ Bjorns/ Captain Crimsons/ Azsharas various pieces for dmg reduction if you are zdps/ or the shoulder/wrist combo if you are going pet
    monk: same as WD with aug/bjorns/crimsons support zdps builds. You can also craft a good persuader (daibo) if you have literally no wep at 70.

every other recipe is either useless or obsolete.
    just gather death breaths, and gold. dont bother trying to reforge/enchant your gear much at all until u are 70. raise up the blacksmith and mystic and jeweler instead.