Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    “For him to make incendiary comments, as he did, and direct the Department of Justice to pursue a baseless prosecution he, by far, overstretched, overreached, even broke the law in certain aspects, to where you have an innocent American being prosecuted by the federal government, which should never happen.”
    I hope this was a misquote. Zimmerman is not, and never was innocent. He just wasn't guilty. He is a murderer who was protected by an atrocious law.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I hope this was a misquote. Zimmerman is not, and never was innocent. He just wasn't guilty. He is a murderer who was protected by an atrocious law.
    Nah it was clear self defense.

The problem was that he got a gun in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Stand Your Ground is an atrocious law, but I don't recall it being their actual defense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Stand Your Ground is an atrocious law, but I don't recall it being their actual defense.
    Just that it wasnt stand your ground.

Ziimerman had not the possibillity to retreat.

Shouldn't he be hiding in the shadows and thanking whichever god he favors that he's not in jail for the rest of his life?
    Last edited by Casagrande; 2015-03-26 at 04:46 AM.

He didn't use stand your ground, he argued self defense, and he was technically right. Trayvon jumped him, he had the right to defend himself. Whether or not he should have been following Trayvon is debatable, and Trayvon being afraid for his own safety was understandable, but Trayvon was in the wrong.

He's not wrong about the validity of the federal investigation, although I seriously doubt Obama had much personally to say or instruct about it -- Holder wouldn't have gotten his job if he didn't already know what his boss would want him to do. But not sure why he'd bother sticking his head up with this -- he's not going to prevail in any kind of legal action in response. He really should learn to walk away clean.

EDIT: the core of "SYG" as an affirmative defense -- that there is no duty to retreat -- is actually the majority rule in the US, something north of 40 states. The only thing that distinguishes Florida's law much at all is that it adds the pretrial motion as an option and that it adds the tort immunity (which is why he can't be sued for wrongful death in FL).
    Last edited by Stormdash; 2015-03-25 at 11:49 PM.

Obama didnt prosecute(and cant) him....and the DOJ didnt file charges against him so what exactly is he reffering to?

Quote Originally Posted by catacalysmic View Post
    Obama didnt prosecute(and cant) him....and the DOJ didnt file charges against him so what exactly is he reffering to?
    Hey man you can't flim flam the zim zam.

Obama made race baiting statements before all the story was out.

"race baiting" is another phrase that's rapidly losing all meaning.

He's referring simultaneously to comments made by the President and other administration folk that served to inflame public sentiment against him ahead of his state trial, and also the apparently gratuitous federal civil rights investigation that lingered on for months and months before the DOJ had to concede they had no case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god Zimmerman just shut the fuck up and go away already. I was on his side during the trial, but man the guy just needs to fade away into obscurity already. But I suspect he has a hope of running for something political in the future.

Deleted
    That smug, shit eating grin makes me sick.

"race baiting" is another phrase that's rapidly losing all meaning.
    It's got a long way to go to catch up with "racism" itself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Zimmerman is a douche who should have been locked up for other things by now. He has anger issues and regularly incites aggression towards police. I'm not sure why anyone but supermacists would take anything he has to say seriously.
    After the witch hunt against him it's hardly a surprise that he's now unhinged. Push people long and hard enough and it's only a matter of time before they snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    After the witch hunt against him it's hardly a surprise that he's now unhinged. Push people long and hard enough and it's only a matter of time before they snap.
    Which is part of the issue of the media turning everything into a witch hunt. Facts be damned, let's paint someone as the bad guy and ruin their life so even if they get acquitted, they'll be hounded constantly for the rest of their life.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy just won't stay out of the news will he? Next we're going to hear about him running for President.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Which is part of the issue of the media turning everything into a witch hunt. Facts be damned, let's paint someone as the bad guy and ruin their life so even if they get acquitted, they'll be hounded constantly for the rest of their life.
    Well to be fair, being a acquitted doesn't mean you're a good guy or haven't wronged someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    Yeah. It's the same with people who are falsely accused of rape - their life is pretty much ruined and reputation destroyed even if they're innocent. I think the media shouldn't report on low or high profile cases until all the facts have been brought to light and a decision has been made. It doesn't help that this was turned into a political issue with people defending/attacking the guy based on perceived 'race issues' rather than whether he on an individual level was guilty or innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Yeah. It's the same with people who are falsely accused of rape - their life is pretty much ruined and reputation destroyed even if they're innocent.
    This has always struck me as a fairly spurious claim, but I might be gazing too long into the abyss here.