local CreatedPlates = {}
    local handler = CreateFrame("Frame")
    local function ScanFrames(...)
    	local index2 = 0
    	local row = 0

for index = 1, select('#', ...) do
    		local frame = select(index, ...)
    		local name = frame:GetName()

if(not CreatedPlates[frame] and (name and name:match("NamePlate%d"))) then
    			index2=index2+1
    			CreatedPlates[frame] = true

frame.OldSetPoint = frame.SetPoint
    			frame.SetPoint = function()end

frame:ClearAllPoints()
    			frame:OldSetPoint("LEFT", UIPatent, "LEFT", 700 -( 25*row), -200+(25*index2))
    			frame:OldSetPoint("RIGHT", UIPatent, "RIGHT", -500 -( 25*row), -200+(25*index2))

if index2 >= 2 then
    				row = row + 1
    				index2 = 0
    			end
    		end
    	end
    end
    handler:SetScript("OnUpdate", function(self, elapsed)	
    	local count = WorldFrame:GetNumChildren()
    	if(count ~= numChildren) then
    		numChildren = count
    		ScanFrames(WorldFrame:GetChildren())
    	end
    end)

You're on the right track, but mine actually work in combat.

I posted the whole script on the official forums around a year ago but I think it was probably a little too complicated for most people to understand.

I've since decided that while it is using perfectly legitimate methods, I don't want to release something that could potentially cause blizzard to restrict existing addon functionality and unintentionally stop someone else's addon from working.
    Last edited by semlar; 2015-03-28 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    You'll have to forgive the rest of us for being skeptical of claims that run contrary to the popular understanding of Blizzard's documented API limitations.
    I don't really have much motivation to prove that it's possible, but I'll make an effort to satisfy your curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    The Blizzard API documentation spells out the limitations and it says that it shouldn't be possible.
    I'm not really sure what this means, Blizzard doesn't have api documentation, nor do they tell us what might be considered exploitative beyond the normal terms of use.

The only way to know whether they don't approve of something an addon does is to release it and see what they do.

I made a judgment call not to release my addon on the basis that Blizzard will either not approve of it and break existing functionality, or more likely will be indifferent and do nothing, which is the same outcome as not releasing the addon in the first place.
    Last edited by semlar; 2015-03-29 at 12:15 AM.

Remember when people said it couldn't be done?

https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/itargetingframes

Semlar's idea, Ironi's implementation.
    Educate the community: X-Perl is dead. Stop using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Znuff View Post
    Remember when people said it couldn't be done?

https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/itargetingframes

Semlar's idea, Ironi's implementation.
    Because blizzard made a very specific change, nameplates having UnitID's.
    That is the ONLY reason those addons exist.
    Not because someone figured out something they didn't before.

Blizzard would have seen that capability a mile away, and so have addon authors.
    I can't see there being any other reason for that change, but to allow just that in a way that is actually intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ycwii View Post

or even a Tidyplates extension that would just take the plates and put them in a organized list somewhere in my screen. that way it dosent get all cluttered with the mobs and the rest of my ui.

Please let me know if you happen to know of something that would do this for me.

Thanks!
    That's pretty much what addons like Enemy Grid do. Give them a try. Again, those only work with enemy nameplates, so if you can't see them, they won't appear. Rearranging them in various ways is really all you will get.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Was it really necessary to necro this?
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Deleted
    Considering this is pretty relevant new information? Yeah, I'd consider this one of the few situations where necroing a thread is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Because blizzard made a very specific change, nameplates having UnitID's.
    That is the ONLY reason those addons exist.
    Not because someone figured out something they didn't before.

Blizzard would have seen that capability a mile away, and so have addon authors.
    I can't see there being any other reason for that change, but to allow just that in a way that is actually intended.
    I'll repost the video link, then: https://www.youtube.com/v/tIrSlYh-5ao

That's from WoD.

It was just a hack-ish method, but it worked.
    Educate the community: X-Perl is dead. Stop using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Znuff View Post
    I'll repost the video link, then: https://www.youtube.com/v/tIrSlYh-5ao

That's from WoD.

It was just a hack-ish method, but it worked.
    If that was the intended route, why this significant change which makes it hugely more accessible.
    I would argue the lack of widespread use or knowledge is the reason blizzard didn't "fix" it before.
    If the content wasn't designed around the use of that, then it might have broken a lot of the intended difficulty of encounters.
    As this now comes far more accessible with the nameplate change then it isn't unrealistic to assume blizzard are taking this into account or even see it as a way to overcome certain UI shortcomings in a way that they can't do in an ideal way for everyone.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-09-28 at 10:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.