High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account

Target macro on Thogar

Goal: One button to select currently highest priority target out of Thogar < Man-at-Arms < Flamebender.

(Please do not use this as a discussion which target has higher priority. Names can easily be swapped around.)

First attempt (does not work, reason below):

Code:
    /tar Operator T
    /tar Grom'kar Man
    /tar Grom'kar Flame
    The reason this does not work is because once the Flamebender dies, this macro still selects the dead Flamebender. So I thought I would try something like this:

Code:
    /tar Operator T
    /tar [nodead] Grom'kar Man
    /tar [nodead] Grom'kar Flame
    This unfortunately had the same result as above. So did this:
    Code:
    /tar Operator T
    /tar [exists, harm] Grom'kar Man
    /tar [exists, harm] Grom'kar Flame
    What do I have to do, so that this macro ignores a target that is already at 0HP / dead?
    Would it be possible to just rewrite this macro using boss frames (boss1, 2 3, etc) or will I screw up which target I am actually getting during certain parts of the fight?

I have not tried this, but would this macro do the trick:
    Code:
    /tar Operator T
    /tar boss2
    /tar boss3
    Or would I end up with a random/wrong order or simply the same issue as above where the dead target is still selected?
    Last edited by Sazda; 2015-03-27 at 07:20 PM.

i was under the impression the man at arms wont be picked up by the macro.
    i got told this during a thogar pug when requesting help with the same macro

Man at arms will be targeted with a macro, I use it myself. I think you have to have the [nodead] after the names though, not sure. Either way, I just have Thogar > Flamewhatever > Man At Arms. Works for me.

My understanding is that conditions apply to your current target, not the one you're trying to acquire.

So, what your macro is doing is first targeting Thogar. Then, it is asked to target the Man At Arms if Thogar is not dead. That's obviously true, so it does it. Then it repeats that set of logic for the Flame Bender. Thogar is always alive (or the fight would be over), so the second unit is always targeted (even if dead). The third target is only targeted if the second target is dead.

Also, according to this page, "The only way to get a dead unit is to target it by name, and have no live units with the same name in your targeting range." There's only one of each, so it sounds as though it will happily target the dead target with that same logic.

Edit: I haven't tried this, but maybe...

Code:
    /tar Operator T
    /tar Grom'kar Man
    /targetlasttarget [dead]
    /tar Grom'kar Flame
    /targetlasttarget [dead]
    Last edited by Xar226; 2015-03-27 at 08:59 PM.

Have you tried this?

Code:
    /targetexact Grom'kar Flamebender
    /stopmacro [harm]
    /targetexact Grom'kar Man at Arms
    /stopmacro [harm]
    /targetexact Operator Thogar
    You may be able to replace /targetexact (unit-name) with /tar (most of unit-name). I've just personally stuck with /targetexact. I normally use three macros, though. One to target Thogar (and taunt), one to target the Man at Arms (and taunt), and one to target the Flamebender and simultaneously use my interrupt before using /targetlasttarget.
    Last edited by criminy; 2015-03-27 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Additional info

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Interesting ideas. I will play around with those and see if they do what we hope they are. Thank you guys.